spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rtbond
join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

rtbond

Tree leaning on Cablevision Line

There is a small (12-18" diameter) tree that is now leaning on the Cablevision and Verizon cable spans between two poles near the corner of my property. There is no electrical service on this pole span. The Cablevision cable is clearly deforming from the weight.

When I contacted Cablevision they indicated they would not take any action to correct the situation (e.g., top the leaning tree).

Does anyone have similar experience with Cablevision? I am wondering if the "take no action" policy indicated by the service rep is indeed the corporate policy.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

I think its the job of whomever owns the pole. if there is no power its verizons job . Try calling them.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to rtbond

to rtbond
are you expecting Cablevision or Verizon to cut the tree?
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to rtbond

to rtbond
The pole should have a tag on it that says who the owner is, at least they do here in CT. If the pole is on your property and the lines only serve your house then it might be your pole and your problem. Cablevision doesn't own any poles, they just rent space on them.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to rtbond

to rtbond
Cablevision is a tenant of the poles. Verizon and the power company generally own poles. As such I would expect the "landlord" to be responsible for area maintenance. As another poster noted, since there is no electricity on the pole, it is most likely owned by Verizon.

Of course the simple solution is for the tree to bring the lines down and then Verizon and Cablevision can come and replace them with new lines.

rtbond
Hopatcong, NJ

rtbond

Thanks everyone. Yes I understand Cablevision does not own any poles. There is no pole damage, but perhaps the pole owner has exclusive responsibilities for keeping the lines clear of trees.

I submitted an inquiry to the NJ Board of Public Utilities, just to get their position on the matter.

As was stated, I can just ignore the problem until it becomes service affecting.

Hmmno
@optonline.net

Hmmno

Anon

You should try calling again, they definitely should be doing something about this. If you're in the area of the Randolph office on Route 10, stop in and tell one of the people at the counter you see a potential problem that would lead to an outage by your house and ask if they could get a supervisor for you. The construction and OSP supervisiors for your town are in that building.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to rtbond

Premium Member

to rtbond
said by rtbond:

As was stated, I can just ignore the problem until it becomes service affecting.

+1
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to rtbond

to rtbond
said by rtbond:

perhaps the pole owner has exclusive responsibilities for keeping the lines clear of trees.

Is it your tree? Is it on your property? Don't be surprised if you get charged for the tree trimming!

rtbond
Hopatcong, NJ

rtbond

said by Bob4:

Is it your tree? Is it on your property? Don't be surprised if you get charged for the tree trimming!

I have never seen that tree before.