Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to plencnerb

Re: [WIN8] Search sucks

Click for full size
That's funny because I was just playing with it in WIN8. WINKEY-F will not locate system files. I assume that is because it is only looking in indexed locations. The Windows folder is not typically an indexed location, although I see no reason why you couldn't add it if you wanted to. With ClassicShell you have a search window that I am not sure how to get there (if you can) from a stock WIN8 install. It appears as below. It has the Computer icon which lets you search the entire computer indexed or not. There must be a way to get the below screen in a stock WIN8 install, but I'm not sure how you get there.

Edit: I think I found the way to get there. Open up an Explorer screen in Windows 8 (Winkey-E). Now while in Explorer hit the F3 function key or click in the search computer box and the search tools become available.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Click for full size
Click for full size
THAT'S COOL. Thanks for explaining how to get to the advanced options Explorer search. I added System and System32 files to be Indexed and removed some that Win 8 was indexing by default.

Indexing System and System32 files made no difference when I did a search from Metro. Nothing was found.

I added System/System 32 files to indexing. Then I did a search of the whole computer for sapi.dll. Took a long time and found NOTHING. So, I checked "system files" under NON Indexed in Advanced Options and it found a number of files named "sapi.dll" almost instantly. I'm confused. If System files are now indexed then why do I have to check system files under NON indexed to get a valid search?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
Wish I had an answer for you. I am away from a computer for a few days and only have this old Android tablet to look at. I will look at it, but I doubt I will see anything more than you do. From what you observed it looks like MS doesn't index system files regardless of what you specify. It is possible after telling Windows to index those locations, you didn't give it enough time me to do so. Try your experiment again.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by Kramer:

It is possible after telling Windows to index those locations, you didn't give it enough time me to do so. Try your experiment again.

I noticed when I first wanted to try the search for a system32 file that it was still indexing so I didn't do it. I waited awhile, then checked, and it looked like it had finished indexing "system" and "system32" files. So, I did that search for "sapi.dll" and it found nothing until I checked "system files" under non-indexed. But it looks like you were right. I guess it was "resting" from indexing and I thought it was finished. It had paused, I suppose, because of other activity on the computer.

So, just now, I tried the search for "sapi.dll" from Windows Explorer and it found a bunch of files almost immediately.

Why does it have a non accessible Start Menu as Indexed? There is NO start menu! Besides, why in the world would you want the Start Menu indexed if there was one? The Start Menu on XP, which is excellent (and should be on Win 8), is alphabetized and in neat columns. It is extremely easy to find what I need. Why would it need indexing? On Win 8, which is obviously designed only for very young users who never go "blank" on recalling instantly the name of every single program they have ever installed or recalling the exact name of all OS files accessible from Start Menu, you have to type (moving your hand off the mouse where mine is glued most of the time) the name of the program in a search box. That is so unintuitive (besides being something that really works against folks as they get older or they are very tired, sleepy, sick and can't recall the name of one of hundreds of programs they have)!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson