Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI

Re: Why NOT XFCE?

I tried it on my workstation and gave up when I discovered how hard, and hackish, it is to use multi-monitor with XFCE.
On top of that the need to navigate menu-hell to access anything. I like just hitting the key and typing in what I want.
That it is ugly as sin isn't a big deal to me.
I gave my brother and his wife a laptop with XFCE on it and they are now convinced Linux sucks.
A food coop I volunteer at has XFCE on the register. The people like that it is faster than when it had Unity on it (it's an old machine) but find the interface very difficult to use.
ds7
join:2012-11-07
Montpelier, VT

ds7

said by Maxo:

I tried it on my workstation and gave up when I discovered how hard, and hackish, it is to use multi-monitor with XFCE.

grandr did it for me with nouveau, or nvidia-settings package with the nvidia driver.
said by Maxo:

On top of that the need to navigate menu-hell to access anything. I like just hitting the key and typing in what I want.

I set keybindings for most-used applications - menu + t for texteditor, menu + k for terminal, etcetera. Much faster than searching.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

It's an Intel card. I wrote a shell script that would do multi-monitor and had it run at login, but it looked horrible as I watched it go from single to double on log in, and I felt that such a hack was stupid to have to rely on.

The need to set keybindings for common apps is also less useful than having everything; applications, files, etc. available in about three or four keystrokes.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo

MVM

said by Maxo:

The need to set keybindings for common apps is also less useful than having everything; applications, files, etc. available in about three or four keystrokes.

I love using key bindings for my GUI applications. KDE provides a nice framework. Over the years, I've tweaked some of my settings so they're all the same. Like "g" in gwenview (re)"gets" the image. Similar, "g" in Thunderbird (not a KDE app) (re)"gets" email ... etc.

Cheers,
-pablo