Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Any snow down East?

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I realize it was the worst storm in 50 years............I was driving through it!!!!

It wasn't the worst day of snow in 50 years, it was the worst day of snow we've EVER had in Montreal.

said by ZZZZZZZ:

My problem with both the city ,airport and Westjet is how ill prepared they were...........they knew for days how much snow and wind was coming,yet they were paralized when it hit...........it was a comedy of errors.

In terms of the city, they sent out 1000 workers in 1000 snow plows to plow the streets as soon as it started snowing. Actual snow removal (Montreal removes all snow from streets/sidewalks and trucks it off-island) can't begin until the snow stops, so that is happening today, involving 3000 workers in 2500 pieces of equipment. It's what the city does in every snow storm.

Could they plow and remove faster? Yes, if they spent more money on it, but Montreal already has the highest snow removal budget in the world (more even than any city in Russia) at $145 million per year. How much does Moscow spend? About $16 million. Montreal spends more than that handling a single 20cm snowfall.

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Flights could/ should have left yesterday,had the airport starting plowing earlier............there was no excuse for our flight being cancelled,especially after it was minutes away from leaving.

When you've got that much snowfall, it doesn't much matter how much you're plowing, it accumulates as fast as you can plow. Also, just because you can't see plows at the airport, doesn't mean they aren't plowing. The farthest point of the runway is almost 4 kilometers away from the terminal and on the other side of some buildings.

The airport, however, would be a lot easier to throw more equipment at to plow, but to be honest, the fees are high enough as they are, it makes more sense not to make everybody pay obscenely higher fees just so that the airport can keep operating during a storm of the century.

said by ZZZZZZZ:

The city really fucked up with how much non plowing there was...........and why in God's sake doesn't the fucking Metro run to the airport?

Because running the metro to the airport would cost billions of dollars, and because of Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his federal government royally messing up Montreal's airport system. Why should the City of Montreal invest in new public transit to the airport when the Federal government is enacting their grand plan to move Montreal's air traffic to Mirabel? The plans for Mirabel (which ultimately cost over $2 billion of taxpayer money in 2011 dollars) were in progress at the same time as they were building the Metro, so it would have been a waste of money to extend the Metro to the airport. Of course, the money they spent trying to build Mirabel could have been used to improve the Dorval airport and its transit connections.

It wasn't until 1997 that international flights resumed in Dorval, and 2004 when all passenger flights out of Mirabel were stopped. They could have moved faster at establishing better rail links from downtown to the airport, but they are in progress now. It should run 20 hours a day, every 20 minutes, and be open by 2016. Of course, with the corruption in the Montreal construction industry, it's costing us 30-40% more than it should. Also it's being delayed by lawsuits. One hotel sued after the rail line would have taken away 150 of their 250 parking spaces.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Guspaz:

Because running the metro to the airport would cost billions of dollars, and because of Pierre Elliot Trudeau and his federal government royally messing up Montreal's airport system. Why should the City of Montreal invest in new public transit to the airport when the Federal government is enacting their grand plan to move Montreal's air traffic to Mirabel? The plans for Mirabel (which ultimately cost over $2 billion of taxpayer money in 2011 dollars) were in progress at the same time as they were building the Metro, so it would have been a waste of money to extend the Metro to the airport. Of course, the money they spent trying to build Mirabel could have been used to improve the Dorval airport and its transit connections.

You don't suppose Mirabel had anything to do with corrupt Quebec
officials figuring this would be a great way to generate more bribes do you?

FaxCap

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

Considering that Mirabel was a Federal project championed ironically by the man they renamed Dorval airport after, no, I don't.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

Thx for the history,that definitely explains a few things.

Calming down a bit as we're at the sunny airport and flights are all leaving on time..........so barring any storms out West we should be home tonight.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Thx for the history,that definitely explains a few things.

Calming down a bit as we're at the sunny airport and flights are all leaving on time..........so barring any storms out West we should be home tonight.

I dunno about you - but I think I would have taken the routing through P.V. and asked for a 3 day layover there

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

We both hate Mexico .

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

I agree with Guspaz's assessment of the situation. The most the plows can do during a snowstorm is push enough snow aside for road traffic to move, albeit very slowly. The city simply can't start taking away the snow until it actually stops falling, otherwise they'd be doing all that work multiple times.

Any amount of snow on a runway however can be disastrous during takeoffs, creating an enormous amount of drag on the landing gears. What you get is a plane traveling way too slowly to take off at all, and potentially crashing into whatever obstacle is located at the end of the runway because it couldn't stop.

I have to agree though that the lack of an effective transport system to the airport is a serious deficiency. Even when it's sunny, not having a dedicated transit way between downtown and the airport makes traveling in and out of Montreal a real pain.

The only airport I know in Canada that has a proper mass transit link is Vancouver's with the opening of the airport Skytrain line just before the start of the 2010 Winter Olympics. But even internationally, there's not that many cities with proper airport links.

One notable exception, and this is a hilarious exception, is Moscow. They've built a modern rail link between downtown and ALL THREE of their airports in just a few short years! And the fares are reasonable at about $10 for a one-way ticket!

The Russians managed to build an effective and affordable airport rail link shortly after the fall of Communism in less time than Montreal has been PLANNING their own rail link since the idea came up during the 1970s!!!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada

it's called every jerk-off isn't trying to get their name put on it.

i got a trip in march coming up, should be interesting to fly into Toronto without immediately flying back out.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by ZZZZZZZ:

I realize it was the worst storm in 50 years............I was driving through it!!!!

It wasn't the worst day of snow in 50 years, it was the worst day of snow we've EVER had in Montreal.

So when are you calling in the army?

milnoc

H3B

We're Montrealers! We don't need no stinkin' army!

It's funny how Toronto's one moment of utter weakness many years ago has made them the laughingstock of Canadian winter living.
--

lugnut

@communications.com

said by milnoc:

We're Montrealers! We don't need no stinkin' army!

It's funny how Toronto's one moment of utter weakness many years ago has made them the laughingstock of Canadian winter living.

To be fair Montreal only got hit with 40 cm of snow in this so called "worst storm ever."

When Lastman called in the army Toronto got hit with fully ONE METER of snow!!!

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

... over the course of a week and a half. The initial storm that started it all was 32cm. There's another big storm on its way to Montreal for tomorrow. We'll see where they sit after the same time period as Toronto in 1999.

Those were some fun times, though. We ended up with 170cm in St. Cats from that series of storms.

milnoc

H3B

Current and long term forecasts until next Friday indicate a maximum of 12 extra cm of snow above the 45 cm we received last Thursday. That's 43 cm short of the meter of snow Toronto allegedly received.

But even if we got hit with a second massive snowstorm immediately after next Friday, almost all of the current accumulation of snow would have already been cleared by the city.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Toronto was over the course of a week and a half. Montreal still has time.