skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to FFH

Re: Engaging in piracy? or join swarms to catch pirates?

Read the article, they were sharing OTHER studio's properties. That would be really nice of Sony to be looking out for Time Warner.
--
In a nation of spoiled children, Santa Claus always wins.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

said by skeechan:

Read the article, they were sharing OTHER studios' properties. That would be really nice of Sony to be looking out for Time Warner.

Exactly. There are music studios downloading movies, TV shows, software, games, etc. and vice versa. A typical example of "Do as I say, not as I do".

Another thing is, what kind of brain-dead system/network admins do these places employ to actually allow this sort of thing to happen? Most corporations of their size have their corporate networks firewalled/proxied and have measures in place to detect/block P2P traffic among other things. For example, the place where I work using P2P is against company policy, you wouldn't be able to get it to work with our network setup even if you wanted to, and if corporate security catches any P2P-like activity originating from your machine, you'd most likely be fired on the spot.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Well obviously piracy isn't a big problem given the labels and studios have no interest in controlling it within their own organizations.
--

travanx

join:2002-01-15
Altadena, CA
reply to Pirate515

At one of the previous places I worked for they would sit you down with the owners in the conference room with a printed log and talk to you about what you were doing on company time. They were pretty lenient until it got really out of hand. I couldn't believe they were keylogging everyone until some coworkers started talking about being careful of what you do while at that job.

TSWYO
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY
reply to Pirate515

Usually the Admins and the IT staff are not behind the filters.. It would be interesting indeed to see the names.

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to travanx

The place where I work right now is pretty lenient too. P2P is a huge no-no because if "copyright police" nails someone, the entire company gets sued. As far as other stuff goes (as long as it's not illegal), it usually gets looked at the other way if it doesn't get in the way of your productivity. However, if management and coworkers notice that someone is slacking off and not pulling their weight, logs could be used against them. So if someone had stuff to do on any given day and none of it was touched, while at the same time logs show that that someone was on Facebook all day long, that someone will have a sit-down with the higher-ups.

Key-logging is pretty low, but it's not like they don't have right to do it.
--

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to TSWYO

Seriously doubt that you will ever see the names. Even if they do get sued, if the infringing IP gets traced to a business, that business gets sued, has to defend themselves in court and pay up if they lose. Whether or not that business can then pinpoint individual culprit(s) and how to handle them is their own business.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

A business will just pay the 3K rather than hire counsel to defend. That is that the mafiaa count on.
--

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by skeechan:

A business will just pay the $3K rather than hire counsel to defend. That is that the MAFIAA count on.

I somehow think that if MAFIAA goes after some business, they'd want a lot more than $3K. MAFIAA knows that businesses that have been around for a while has a lot more money in the bank than private citizens like us and can be shaken down harder.

They have to pick their fights when it comes to businesses though. If they are not careful enough, they could end up picking on someone of their own size or bigger with either either in-house top-notch legal team or enough money to be able to afford one that can fight them, possibly win and set precedent against future nonsense of this sort.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Then the business will fight because it has the resources just as Verizon frequently did.
--