Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Ok.

The DOJ should prosecute their own before going after anyone else. The labels should investigate and extort from their own employees just as they do 10 year old girls and grandmothers.

Labels have a hard time justifying "damages" in the hundreds of thousands when they do nothing to stop infringement in their own ranks. Obviously piracy isn't the problem they claim it to be.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Privacy rights can make prosecution very difficult. Especially in the DOJ/DHS, as being federal employees gives them significant privacy rights. It makes it significantly harder to catch and fire them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by silbaco:

Privacy rights can make prosecution very difficult. Especially in the DOJ/DHS, as being federal employees gives them significant privacy rights. It makes it significantly harder to catch and fire them.

Do you mean to say that the GD watchdogs have more privacy than the rest of us? Talk about a major injustice!

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

What privacy rights? I think it has been long established that when using your employer's computers, network or other equipment, you have no right or expectation of privacy whatsoever. As long as you are using your employer's equipment, they can snoop on you all they want and if they catch you breaking company policy or the law, they are fully within their rights to fire you or sell you out to the authorities.

When it comes to government employees, they probably have even less privacy than those working for private companies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but working for organizations such as DoJ/DHS requires all sorts of government clearances. To get these clearances, these individuals need to submit themselves to background checks. Depending on how high up their positions are, these checks can be very intrusive (some look into their personal lives in great detail). In many cases, not only are these checks required to get these jobs, they also must be re-run in scheduled/unscheduled intervals to keep these jobs.

The main reason why many companies including the one I work for block P2P is to avoid liability altogether. If a home user get caught downloading copyrighted material(s), the ISP hands over their info. If a "bad apple" employee at some company gets caught, it is the company who will probably get sued. Since companies can be held liable for actions of their employees, it's not clear if that company will be off the hook if they rat out the employee who actually did the deed. In any case, from corporate perspective, it's much easier to prevent this sort of thing from happening than to let it happen and deal with consequences later. That's why many companies block, monitor and take action against employees who engage in such.

I guess in this case, these record labels and studios are practicing professional courtesy by not going after their "brothers" and "sisters" in the business. It would be pretty funny if they started suing each other for stealing each other's content. As far as DoJ/DHS is concerned, they are government agencies with nearly unlimited financial resources and legal muscle that if they do get sued, they can drag that lawsuit on for decades with no resolution in sight, clearly not something regular Joe Schmoes like us can afford. And besides, they are the ones helping MAFIAA with website take-downs and DNS seizures, therefore, they are not the organization MAFIAA and their members would want to piss off.

One thing is for sure though. If DoJ/DHS employees are that free to do torrenting from their corporate network(s), no wonder they get hacked as often as they do.