All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to berk

to berk

Re: [Cable] Which router to buy for DCM 476 modem?

Router make/model doesn't matter as far as compatibility with a modem goes.
Any wireless router with a ethernet port will work.

The WRT54GL is a good router since it is easy to switch it to another firmware if you decide to get into that sort of stuff, but it is an old "g" style unit rather than "n" so it's not quite as quick (assuming your wireless laptop/device is also N). It won't affect your internet speed since "g" can do 54Mbps and your internet from Start probably isn't that fast, but it will affect you if you transfer files from one computer to another within your house.

The Asus N66 mentioned above is good, i use that for wifi in my place.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 recommendation

xdrag

I would strongly advise against the wrt54gl. It's at it's end-of-life cycle and really outdated. It's 7 years old. I don't think anyone should buy the wrt5gl anymore.

although 54mbps is "enough" for 1 wireless computer, you have to factor in real-world performance - it drops due to interference and distance. Never hurts to have more bandwidth. No dual-band, cpu is slower, ram is getting limited.

For a similar price, you can find budget N routers that does more than the WRT54GL and just as stable. netgear and asus are some worthy mentions. there's a few older thread around with more detailed discussions that you can search into.