Action2
join:2010-06-29
Champaign, IL

2 edits

Action2

Upload issue with bonded DSL

Normal upload before windy weather

Upload after windy weather

I've added my statistics before and after.

Recently there has been a lot of wind and snow, and I noticed after a power failure the sync rate of one of my lines is ~800kbps as opposed to the 1147 on the other. When calling in to customer service and explaining that I am on the 12 down 2 up plan they always return with that I am provisioned for ~6Mbps and which is the correct plan for what I paying for.

They do not seem to have the information that the plan is two DSL lines and end up transferring me endlessly. Any tips to getting a hold of people who know bonded DSL?

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Upstream uses the lower tones is. It's very rare that lower tones have that low SNR. That line has something on or near it probably shorting to your line when it gets wet.

If your line has a phone on it you probably have a filter that splits the dsl from the phone line. The upstream on the DSL lower band is outside the voice frequencies so it may be filtered out.

hook up a cheap phone when the problems appear and listen. If you hear pops, clicks or low buzzing sounds the line has issues.
Action2
Champaign, IL

Action2

Unfortunately I do not have a phone to test this with, it is a dryloop setup so I do not have any filters or any devices besides the modem on the line.

The problem occurs 100% of the time though. The line upload never syncs up at the correct rate on a power cycle. I do not see this issue on the other line however.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to Action2

to Action2
Often dry loop lines can still call 911 (some states have this as a requirement).

Even if there is no dial tone you would still be able to listen to the line because it is still powered.
Action2
Champaign, IL

Action2

I don't think my particular line has a dial tone as I remember calling them up to specifically get rid of the taxes when I do not even have a land phone in the house. If it wasn't snowing I would see if I still had a land phone out in the shed.

On another note I noticed now that my second account, which is still at 3Mb has its upload provisioned at 1147 now instead of the 863 that it had before. That still does not explain the drop in SNR however. The new "at home representatives" that I have run into are not very helpful to say the least. Hopefully calling in to explain again will get me somewhere or it looks like I will have to contact the area representative.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to Aranarth

Premium Member

to Aranarth
He's hear the high pich of the DSL whine without a filter on it. Still a Low humming or pops or cracks would indicate line noise. On an unfiltered line DSL sounds like high pitched ringing. Much like your ears ring you have that hearing problem where you hear high pitch ringing in a silent room.
Action2
Champaign, IL

Action2

I was not able to find any of my old phones so I called in and requested a line test. Hopefully they will be able to identify an issue on that line.

From what I have seen, they will probably only test one line, the line that is fine and come up with no problems.