Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to THZNDUP

Premium Member

to THZNDUP

Re: 'Personalized' TV ads coming

said by THZNDUP:

The cable system ad avails would make the most sense for now. They have the means in-house to identify the 'video fingerprinting' and to narrowcast the specific ads. Something the 'content providers' wouldn't have the means to do....

When I said the content providers could provide the "place ad here" cue I was thinking that there would be a signal at the start of the ad block.

Video fingerprinting works, most of the time. When it doesn't work, it is not pretty. I've seen video fingerprinting "recognize" show material as a commercial. I'd really prefer not to see commercials pre-empt parts of a show just because the video-fingerprinting system goofed.

Portions of the ad slots are already made available for local ads, that aspect is nothing new. The providers wouldn't necessarily be dropping any additional national ad revenue for local ads.

I don't have a problem with local ads appearing (except in the case of the gross ProActiv ads). I just have a concern that fingerprinting may not be as accurate an indicator of when to start the local ad as many think it is.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

1 edit

THZNDUP

Premium Member

I wasn't aware that there was a predictive mechanism for the actual local ad inserts being used. I was under the assumption that there were still subaudible/digital cues for local commercial preroll, start, stop, etc. as when they were on tape. As well as most of the 'screwups' were still a result of too long/too short material, early/late cues, etc.

I also took the 'video fingerprinting' to merely determine what you are watching. It also anticipates when the network will go to commercial, either national or local. just to enable the various lookup and decision making to be set up. The actual insert would still be keyed specifically.

ProActiv is a local ad? Wonder what Guthy-Renker has to say about that.

[edit] Forgot Justin..........

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· oeT41onM

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by THZNDUP:

I wasn't aware that there was a predictive mechanism for the actual local ad inserts being used. I was under the assumption that there were still subaudible/digital cues for local commercial preroll, start, stop, etc. as when they were on tape. As well as most of the 'screwups' were still a result of too long/too short material, early/late cues, etc.

I was just going by what the article I initially linked to said. All the better if the cuing is as you say. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how accurate the cuing really will be.
said by THZNDUP:

I also took the 'video fingerprinting' to merely determine what you are watching. It also anticipates when the network will go to commercial, either national or local. just to enable the various lookup and decision making to be set up. The actual insert would still be keyed specifically.

I think you may be giving more credit to video fingerprinting than it may deserve. First you say that there will be "subaudible/digital cues for local commercial preroll, start, stop, etc.", then you say that "It also anticipates when the network will go to commercial". So which is it? Will it anticapte the commercial, or will it wait for a cue?
said by THZNDUP:

ProActiv is a local ad? Wonder what Guthy-Renker has to say about that.

I use the term "local ad" to describe an advertisement that is placed into the content at a local level. I draw the distinction between a local ad and a local product. The ads placed at a local level for a product that has national exposure is a local ad, i.e., it is a local ad buy.

So the high definition views of zits on the chests, backs and faces of people, and also the animation of the pus flowing out of those zits; when written over the network ads by the local cable head-ends and shown locally instead of the network ads coming off the satellite, are local ads.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

First off, I didn't say there 'will' be cues, only that I assumed they were still in use in some fashion. An inserted cue should be much more of a positive indicator that an ad slot may be filled than any predictive method including 'video fingerprinting'.

The 'anticipate' part I was guessing at would be to get any background work done prior to getting the cue to actually start the insert. Assuming a hybrid system at this point, it would predict a slot is about to be opened up, look up the program history, demographics, select the ad and get it buffered awaiting a start cue. Which is also somewhat counterintuative as the 'pre-roll' cue would also do better as the heads up.

Since I haven't caught any of the ads you have described here, they may very well be local to your region/group/system. Which channel/channels are the worst offenders? At any rate, I'm sorry that Guthy-Renker and Comcast feels they may sell more of their product there than here...........

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by THZNDUP:

... An inserted cue should be much more of a positive indicator that an ad slot may be filled than any predictive method including 'video fingerprinting'. ...

On that we agree.
said by THZNDUP:

The 'anticipate' part I was guessing at would be to get any background work done prior to getting the cue to actually start the insert. Assuming a hybrid system at this point, it would predict a slot is about to be opened up, look up the program history, demographics, select the ad and get it buffered awaiting a start cue. Which is also somewhat counterintuative as the 'pre-roll' cue would also do better as the heads up.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
said by THZNDUP:

Since I haven't caught any of the ads you have described here, they may very well be local to your region/group/system. Which channel/channels are the worst offenders?

You are lucky that you've not seen the ads I see here. HD video of zits on peoples' faces, and recently chests and backs, along with animation of the cross-sectional view of the pus being removed from zits. The Proactiv commercials are totally gross.

I can't find rhyme nor reason for the placement of the ads. They seem to be on most of the non-broadcast channels on cable, and seem to appear multiple times per hour. Sometimes there is a second or two of another ad at the beginning, then that ad gets overlaid with the gross proActiv ad.
said by THZNDUP:

At any rate, I'm sorry that Guthy-Renker and Comcast feels they may sell more of their product there than here...........

I suspect you may be more thankful than sorry.

Thanks for the good discussion.