share rss forum feed

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to chapter_one

Re: So many tablets

Another thing to consider is what kind of support forums you can get help from. I have a Toshiba Thrive, which is rooted and has a deodexed ROM installed. The forum where I got my info and help is

»www.thriveforums.org/
--
Gadgets

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to chapter_one
I have two tablets. The HTC Evo View 7” tablet running Android 3.2 using Sprint and the Sony Xpreia S 9.4” tablet running Android 4.04 Wifi only. I use the Sony more since it’s newer and faster and does a better job at handling tablet specific apps and I like the size better. I have 32GB of internal storage with the Sony tablet plus another 32GB with the SD card. I use it a lot for media functions. It’s DLNA compliant so I can share out media stored on the tablet to my other devices, it has a built in IR sensor with an advanced remote control app so I can control all of my devices using the tablet as my remote control and have it execute multiple functions using macros. It has Sonys S-Master audio built in with advanced audio options and equalizer making it able to reproduce some awesome sound, I have it paired to my Big Jambox while listening to my own personal music collection or streaming Shoutcast or Sirius XM.

I also use my tablets for multitasking on Sundays, the day God set aside for guys to watch sports. I’m usually flipping between games on NFL Sunday Ticket while the HTC tablet streams DirecTV Red Zone using the DirecTV app, the Sony tablet streams NFL Red Zone using the Time Warner app and when NASCAR is on, that get streamed on the phone via WatchESPN.

I’d Rather have a wall of 8 60” TVs each tuned to their own thing, but this is the best I can muster at the moment

--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to ztmike
said by ztmike:

»play.google.com/store/devices/de···s_7_32gb Be sure to click on (More Options) to see the different models of the unit.

Gets updates straight from Google as soon as their available, stock android, cheap, but good hardware.

Your welcome.

Thanks ztmike, I kind of like the Nexus 10 a little better simply for the larger display, however, I couldn't find whether or not extra SD cards could be used or what type of applications for word processing or spreadsheet options there are, although, without a keyboard that might be a moot point. Most of the discussions seemed to revolve around Apps, Android vs. iPad. I'm just a bit overwhelmed at this point though. Being so rooted in PC and Laptop use, so much of all this stuff doesn't register in this old brain.

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to GadgetsRme
said by GadgetsRme:

Another thing to consider is what kind of support forums you can get help from. I have a Toshiba Thrive, which is rooted and has a deodexed ROM installed. The forum where I got my info and help is »www.thriveforums.org/

I have no idea what you just said. "rooted and has a deodexed ROM installed." I do totally agree with you relative to available forums though. Like Broadband, looking for specific information on specific items, they really can be a lifesaver.

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

I have two tablets. The HTC Evo View 7” tablet running Android 3.2 using Sprint and the Sony Xpreia S 9.4” tablet running Android 4.04 Wifi only.

Oh boy, two more to add to the list. I won't however, be using any tablet with a phone contract. I do like that the Sony will accept additional SD cards. I had to go look up DLNA Compliant.

I think it's getting a little too technical and expanding beyond what I currently understand. I was just hoping to find something with around a 10 inch display that can handle reading books and viewing movies and isn't too expensive. Also, being able to use plug in SD cards to carry my photos with me to show friends and family.

I'm creating a Word document from all the responses in this thread so I can go back over to review and keep track of the various tablet suggestions presented to me by all of you great people.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to chapter_one
said by chapter_one:

Of more interest would be the WiFi capabilities as well as reading books or watching movies on a trip.

Pretty much all tablets had Wi-Fi, the only difference may be whether it's 'b', 'g', or 'n' -- as long as it works I don't think type makes that much of a difference.

What may be optional are Bluetooth, GPS, micro/SD slot, OTG USB port, connector for external display, the ability to charge the battery via the USB port, or via a cigarette lighter.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

It is my impression that once they put a version of Android on a tablet, you don't upgrade to a newer version?

As a general rule of thumb, upgrading one from one minor version to the next (i.e. 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 ) should be easily doable as long as the manufacturer will make the code available. The reality is that that they may not bother, especially in case of no-name tablets.

Upgrading from one major version to the next (i.e. 2.3 to 3.1) is trickier because the HW requirements are likely to be somewhat higher -- sometimes it may be doable, other times it may be plain impossible, especially in case of cheap, barebone tablets. And even if it's doable, the manufacturer is less likely to do that, though since it's open source, users are free to create their own versions.

Jumping two major versions (i.e 2.2 to 4.0) is even more trickier, and I can't think of any tablet where the manufacturer would do anything like that. But as before, users are free to try, although HW limitations (i.e. memory) are likely to be a major roadblock.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Pretty much all tablets had Wi-Fi, the only difference may be whether it's 'b', 'g', or 'n' -- as long as it works I don't think type makes that much of a difference.

What may be optional are Bluetooth, GPS, micro/SD slot, OTG USB port, connector for external display, the ability to charge the battery via the USB port, or via a cigarette lighter.

Wouldn't Bluetooth and GPS require a data plan via a phone contract? The micro/SD slot is a major concern to me. Not sure what the "On The Go USB" port would be for. Charging via USB port as well as dedicated charger, yes. What's a cigarette lighter? One of those butane things? Sorry, couldn't resist. There's an electric outlet on our new Escape but I haven't found it yet (didn't look for it yet).

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by chapter_one:

Wouldn't Bluetooth and GPS require a data plan via a phone contract?

Not in either case... Bluetooth is dependant on another Bluetooth device, and GPSes are usually satellite and maps based, although I'm not as knowledgeable about GPS as I am about Bluetooth.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to chapter_one
Nexus 7 android. No "flash" and no camera (front facing only camera). I love it. Read email, Twitter, web sites, and have Amazon Kindle app installed for e-books. Battery life is good; if I read a book all day on it, battery is still charged. No USB port nor SD port.
--
Team Discovery

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
Canon City, CO
reply to chapter_one
said by chapter_one:

said by GadgetsRme:

Another thing to consider is what kind of support forums you can get help from. I have a Toshiba Thrive, which is rooted and has a deodexed ROM installed. The forum where I got my info and help is »www.thriveforums.org/

I have no idea what you just said. "rooted and has a deodexed ROM installed."

Sorry about that.

Rooted = Jail breaking an OS on a Android phone or tablet (you get full control of the system) super user rights if you will. Once rooted and the SuperUser program is installed there is full control and the possibility to screw the whole thing up or make it work way better.

Deodexed refers to the fact that with the std. android system when you start a program you actually load two files one is the program file, the other (a *.odex file), is a complementary file needed to actually complete the action. When a ROM is deodexed the person making the custom ROM combines those two into one file so that when you call the program only one file has to load and thus there is an overhead savings on the processor. Since they're getting rid of the *.odex file they call it "deodexed".
--
Gadgets

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

Not in either case... Bluetooth is dependant on another Bluetooth device, and GPSes are usually satellite and maps based, although I'm not as knowledgeable about GPS as I am about Bluetooth.

Thanks, I was mostly thinking about the MyFord Touch on our car. We have a portable GPS, but to use the MFT Turn by Turn, it works through the phone that's paired to the Sync.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit
reply to chapter_one
said by chapter_one:

I could really use a little help. I'm finally trying to decide on tablet. The only discussion I found was a little over a year old and so much has happened since then. So many choices, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 GB's, SD slots

I will second the vote for the ASUS Transformer line.
Really mini PC's thay can do just about everything.

I have had the 101 and now 201, and there is the latest generation300/700. (300 pretty much the same as 201, 700 has higher res screen though to me 1080p (vs less resources 720p) on a 10"screen seem sort of a waste of money, CPU and battery life.

But ehile tab alone is impressive, with the Keyboard dock you add a second battery (giving even heavy streaming wifi video use all day life) as well as a true USB port allowing attachment of ANY USB device, HDD, DVD drives, etc.and a second SD slot.

The tab it self has a 32GB micro SD slot, the dock a standard SD slot so with a 32GB tab version, you can have 96GB of on board memory, plus the convenience of a real keyboard.

BTW I thought I had it sold once or twice but buyer finaces a problem. I still have my Transformer TF-101 I will sell with KB/ battery dock for $325 shipped. And actually the 101 has TWO USB ports in the KB, all the later only one for making them slimmer tapering to the front.

--

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to GadgetsRme
Thanks for the explanation, Gadgets. I pretty much understand it but can guarantee that I would never be trying to do it. I can see the point of saving overhead also. I've seen the terms Rooted and Jail Breaking when looking at smartphone reviews but they just never registered since all I have is feature phone, not a smartphone.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
Canon City, CO
said by chapter_one:

Thanks for the explanation, Gadgets. I pretty much understand it but can guarantee that I would never be trying to do it. I can see the point of saving overhead also. I've seen the terms Rooted and Jail Breaking when looking at smartphone reviews but they just never registered since all I have is feature phone, not a smartphone.

You're welcome. Actually, it took me about 7 months of using the tablet and reading and rereading the instructions of the developer (dalepl) on the Thrive forums to feel ready to go through with doing it. However, for me it was well worth the effort. The "devs" are very helpful and fairly available,although "dalepl" has a backlog right now. The newest Toshiba is the "Excite". Also if you look at the bottom of the web page there is a listing of "sister" sites for other tablets.
--
Gadgets

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to Hayward
said by Hayward:

I will second the vote for the ASUS Transformer line.
Really mini PC's thay can do just about everything.

OK, thanks Hayward, I'll go take a look at that ASUS line.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
Oh and on other smart thing the the ASUS TF's do is with KB uses that battery first, so you decide to detach and use it as pure TAB you still have a full battery if you haven't drained the KB one.
--

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by chapter_one:

Wouldn't Bluetooth and GPS require a data plan via a phone contract?

The vast majority of phones and tablets have assisted GPS so you need a data connection. You could always use map caching but if you go off course you could be screwed. I absolutely love having a tablet with its own data connection, too bad the Evo View is long in the tooth and will never see Ice Cream Sandwich. I moved my two phone lines and USB data card over to Verizon from Sprint, but kept the tablet on Sprint for the time being. As soon as Verizon comes out with either an HTC tablet (very doubtful) for a successor to the Motorola Droid Xyboard, Ill get that. Like I said I love the Sony tablet, but thats my tablet for home use. It sucks having wirelessly tether my phone to the tablet everytime I want to do something with it when Im away from home. Id rather just have the connection built in and pay Verizon and additional $10 for the privilege.
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
Well NO

Device has good enough GPS hardware absolutey no data connection is necessary.

Asus Transformer TAB puts me spot on to few feet with with GPS and no network connection at all.

Also does very well with GPS off and kinda scary how close you can be tracked by just the WiFi hotspot you are on. (Even your own at home)
--

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to chapter_one
My wife and I have 2 fairly different Android tablets, and both have their advantages based on usage.

One of your first decisions really should be based on your usage, what size format works to your best advantage?

One observation: No tablets have cameras worth getting excited about, besides which, they are clunky at best in use...to each his/her own, but I would not make any tablet purchase based on the camera. The cheapest/smallest point and shoot digital on the market will sport better speces and be more useful.

I have the Nexus 7 (7" screen, 16gb storage), my wife has the ASUS Transformer TF300T(10.1" screen, 32gb storage).

I use my Nexus 7 heavily for reading as my close-vision had long ago went south, and being able to adjust the font to a comfortable size is great. As an e-reader, the 7" format by far makes the most sense. I also carry it around constantly, and as an on-the-go device, I really prefer the smaller format. I also watch movies/videos especially when I have down-time but am not at home.

My wife uses her 10.1" transformer primarily at home. She likes to web browse, play games, read, watch videos etc., and the 10.1" format is her preferrence.

There are plenty of choices once you narrow it down to screen size, but a few general suggestions?

Screen quality on a tablet is after all the first consideration...it is above all else a visual device, right?

Do you need "retina" quality? Well, its nice, but hardly a deal breaker, but you do want a quality screen.

If you are going to watch movies on a plane and such, you want at least a decent amount of on-device storage, or one that supports a SD memory slot, since you probably won't be streaming from on-line while travelling.

OS support: Personally, I prefer devices from makers that are likely to have good support for OS upgrades. Nexus devices of course are all about that, but in general, some manufacturers tend to be quicker to support updates than others, such as ASUS.

Price. Of course, that comes down to what you are willing to spend, but IMHO, under-powered, poor battery, poor screen, low memory tablets while not altogether "unusable", really limit the usefuleness of the device. I would stay away from the $69 - $99 "specials"...they are cheap for a reason.

On the other hand, I find spending more than $199 to $399 on a tablet, somewhat questionable. That is what keeps me away from considering a Windows Surface-type tablet. For the same price, I can nab a pretty decent ultra-book that is faster, and much more practical for any real work usage.

For a well-rounded, reasonably priced tablet, the ASUS TF300T covers the bases very well.

Good battery life

Very good, though not "state of the art" IPS 1280x800 screen. Movies look great to me on it.

32gb memory and a SD slot give you plenty of storage

Comes with Android ICS, but updates to Jellybean

Good processor speed (Tegra 3 CPU)

"Decent" camera (but again, no tablet cameras are that great)

And of course for those who might want it, the ASUS docking keyboard/cover not only is a good keyboard for a tablet, but it also extends the run time quite a bit with its built in battery.

Not trying to be an ASUS "Fan-boy", and there are a number of decent tablets out there, but if you look at the specs versus price, and the overall usability, the TF300T is a well-rounded device.
--
Deeds, not words

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
I have an ASUS TF300T myself and I just picked up a Nexus 7. Why? Well, my interests in Android go way beyond those of the normal user. I tinker with my device, root, ROM, and otherwise customize the hell out of it.

So, I'm getting a Nexus 7 since it has a great development community behind it. Great ROMs, good stable third-party kernels, etc.

So for me, customization is where it's at. Being able to run AOKP is an important thing for me.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to PeteC2
Good points, Pete . . . I did, in fact, take a look at the ASUS last night and it has a lot of promise. I've also come to the conclusion that the camara capabilities of tablets in general are nothing to write home about.

I'm definately leaning toward the 10". I'm not looking for "retina" quality, just a nice screen which most of them seem to have.

I was also looking at the Sony this morning and was impressed with its specifications. The extra SD slots in the tablet and the add-on keyboard, plus separate power supply are very good arguments.

Overall, I pretty much agree with you one the ASUS, plus I found out our brother-in-law has one so I will be talking with him soon.

chapter_one

Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

I have an ASUS TF300T myself and I just picked up a Nexus 7. Why? Well, my interests in Android go way beyond those of the normal user.

So for me, customization is where it's at. Being able to run AOKP is an important thing for me.

Yea, you're beyond my interests at this point, I have no idea what AOKP is. Perhaps if I was still working in IT and not retired, I might like fooling around with this stuff. As it is I just want something that is going to work when I turn it on and has good capabilities.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
AOKP is a distribution of Android, specifically, a third-party distribution of Android. It's a community OS of sorts, what the community wants, it gets. What the community doesn't want (bloat and unnecessary features), it doesn't get.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

One observation: No tablets have cameras worth getting excited about, besides which, they are clunky at best in use...to each his/her own, but I would not make any tablet purchase based on the camera. The cheapest/smallest point and shoot digital on the market will sport better speces and be more useful.

Really???

Which of these cheap P&S cameras can act as as scanner and FAX documents? Or read and process bar codes, among many things a good camera in a tablet is useful.

But yes they are slow and generally do poorly in low light, but not bad in daylight, for non action shots as well as just catching the odd thing vs carrying a camera all the time.

As I recall the ASUS 300 doesn't have a flash but the 201 did and the 700 does... which are also useful as flashlights. Recently used mine as a table light so I could see the outdoor meal I was eating in the dark with the KB acting as a stand.
--