trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to PeteC2

Re: So many tablets

I have an ASUS TF300T myself and I just picked up a Nexus 7. Why? Well, my interests in Android go way beyond those of the normal user. I tinker with my device, root, ROM, and otherwise customize the hell out of it.

So, I'm getting a Nexus 7 since it has a great development community behind it. Great ROMs, good stable third-party kernels, etc.

So for me, customization is where it's at. Being able to run AOKP is an important thing for me.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to PeteC2
Good points, Pete . . . I did, in fact, take a look at the ASUS last night and it has a lot of promise. I've also come to the conclusion that the camara capabilities of tablets in general are nothing to write home about.

I'm definately leaning toward the 10". I'm not looking for "retina" quality, just a nice screen which most of them seem to have.

I was also looking at the Sony this morning and was impressed with its specifications. The extra SD slots in the tablet and the add-on keyboard, plus separate power supply are very good arguments.

Overall, I pretty much agree with you one the ASUS, plus I found out our brother-in-law has one so I will be talking with him soon.

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

I have an ASUS TF300T myself and I just picked up a Nexus 7. Why? Well, my interests in Android go way beyond those of the normal user.

So for me, customization is where it's at. Being able to run AOKP is an important thing for me.

Yea, you're beyond my interests at this point, I have no idea what AOKP is. Perhaps if I was still working in IT and not retired, I might like fooling around with this stuff. As it is I just want something that is going to work when I turn it on and has good capabilities.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
AOKP is a distribution of Android, specifically, a third-party distribution of Android. It's a community OS of sorts, what the community wants, it gets. What the community doesn't want (bloat and unnecessary features), it doesn't get.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

One observation: No tablets have cameras worth getting excited about, besides which, they are clunky at best in use...to each his/her own, but I would not make any tablet purchase based on the camera. The cheapest/smallest point and shoot digital on the market will sport better speces and be more useful.

Really???

Which of these cheap P&S cameras can act as as scanner and FAX documents? Or read and process bar codes, among many things a good camera in a tablet is useful.

But yes they are slow and generally do poorly in low light, but not bad in daylight, for non action shots as well as just catching the odd thing vs carrying a camera all the time.

As I recall the ASUS 300 doesn't have a flash but the 201 did and the 700 does... which are also useful as flashlights. Recently used mine as a table light so I could see the outdoor meal I was eating in the dark with the KB acting as a stand.
--