spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MarkOF

@sbcglobal.net

Equipment Installation

I am currently considering switch from basic WOW, AT&T internet and an AT&T land line to WOW's 3-bundle package including ULTRA-TV. Though I realize WOW will come out to install, is there someplace I can go on WOW's site to figure out all of the wiring that will be needed for the phone system, internet and cable. I have 5-television that I will each have a media player, I have two (2) computers that are currently hardwired to AT&T's modem and I have three (3) phone jacks with telephones hard wired.

I want to make sure that before a tech comes out that I have the required cables run through my house to have everything work.

Also I am concerned about all of the wireless issues I have heard about WOW's gateway and would therefore plan on purchasing a hub with better wireless capabilities for my three (3) laptops that are used in and around the house.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
As far as wiring is concerned, the gateway will typically be installed wherever your previous modem is. The gateway has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports on the back, so you would be able to still wire your two computers into that.

The gateway also runs the phone service, so you would need a phone jack near where your modem is currently. If you have one there, then all that will need to be done is unhook the phone lines from AT&T outside and hook the gateway into one phone jack in the house to feed the rest of the jacks (a very easy process).

The media players all work over coax using MoCA, so as long as you have a cable jack in a room, the media players should work fine.

Hopefully that's the information you were looking for.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
pretty sure my ultratv gateway only has two ethernet ports in the back.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by Body Count:

pretty sure my ultratv gateway only has two ethernet ports in the back.

They all have four, arranged 2x2 in a square. If you're using the top two, you might not be able to see the two under them.

MarkOF

@sbcglobal.net
reply to WOW_Dan
Dan:

So if I run another phone cable line from where I plan on placing the Gateway back to the terminal strip that all of my phones lines get wired back to before they go to the AT&T box outside that would work just as well?

Second and Third Question: Is the most current Gateway being provided by WOW is the Arris DG860? From reading through the forum, it seems that many people are having connection issues via the wireless based on distance from the Gateway to various locations in the house. I assume I may need to add a stronger/better hub for any wireless concerns?

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to MarkOF
Oh crap I always thought it just had two ports. Didn't even see the other two underneath lol.

Now I gotta run more cable. want to install an extender downstairs so the wifi coverage improves because we all know the ultratv wifi range is horrible.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to MarkOF
said by MarkOF :

Dan:

So if I run another phone cable line from where I plan on placing the Gateway back to the terminal strip that all of my phones lines get wired back to before they go to the AT&T box outside that would work just as well?

Yep.

MarkOF

@sbcglobal.net
Any recommendation on a good router/hub with good distance wireless capabilities