uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to Tx

Re: If TekSavvi doesn't fight on Jan 14th, I'm leaving them.

Back in the 1980 and 1980s the Canadian Copyright Law allowed you to make a copy for your own person use. I bet you didn't know this did you? The law become more relaxed with CD burners started to flood the market place because the board of the Canadian Copyright decided to charge a small fee on record able digital media to try and recover some of the cost (if not all of it) from people pirating stuff.

Now that we have evolved to where we are now piracy has increased 100 fold the hidden fees aren't covering 1% of the figured amount of music, movies and software that is being pirated. So the have to take extra steps now...do I blame them? NO. You shouldn't either.

So your complaint really doesn't hold any water, the internet is a place that has grown over the years that its become more easier to track people through the IP's and such which why every person that has been suspected to be a pedophile is one. They track them the same way they now are tracking you downloading those pirated warez, movies, and songs to your computer every night.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Leathal:

Back in the 1980 and 1980s the Canadian Copyright Law allowed you to make a copy for your own person use. I bet you didn't know this did you? The law become more relaxed with CD burners started to flood the market place because the board of the Canadian Copyright decided to charge a small fee on record able digital media to try and recover some of the cost (if not all of it) from people pirating stuff.

Now that we have evolved to where we are now piracy has increased 100 fold that the hidden fees aren't covering 1% of the figured amount of music, movies and software that is being pirated. So the have to take extra steps now...do I blame them? NO. You shouldn't either.

So your complaint really doesn't hold any water, the internet is a place that has grown over the years that its become more easier to track people through the IP's and such which why every person that has been suspected to be a pedophile is one. They track them the same way they now are tracking you downloading those pirated warez, movies, and songs to your computer every night. )

Actually, yes i do know that. Thus Made a copy for a friend or Bought a copied VHS from a garage sale for example. This isn't personal use. My sirius sat radio in the car records stuff for me (that's personal use) no problem.

If you want to cover your eyes and pretend if you obey they law and never ever, ever, ever pirate and you're a good boy then hey all the power to you. Don't come crying to anyone if you are ever accused.

You have wifi setup in your house? If so what level of encryption? WEP, WPA or WPA2? All 3 are easily crackable. Each are just a different amount of time to crack. You have neighbours close by? Lower your antenna power to ensure they cannot use that connection or attempt to access it. You on a strictly wired connection at home? Perfect. Your odds are million times better, but let's now hope you're not of the next 42 who were mistakenly notified by TSI and this time TSI didn't catch the mistake.

By the way, you're wildly off. IPs do not track people, they track accounts, they track an account holder. NOT people. Even these days they can't even track a cell phones IP because phones like my S3 have a built in router so i can allow several people to use my phones internet.

Funny part of that was? I enabled tethering on my phone and encryption was automatically disabled. I had to go in to another screen to setup encryption. Will most other "non" techies know better?

You have your head so far in the sand it's not even funny, i'm really not trying to be rude with you. I'm simply someone who HAS gone through this.

I can't say it any clearer. Until locating an individual is foolproof, you're not safe under these new laws. Maybe saying it a second time will sink in or will it not hold any water either?

42 people mistakenly notified... fourty-two (account holders) not individuals. You may like playing the odds, but i sure don't.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Leathal

said by Leathal:

Now that we have evolved to where we are now piracy has increased 100 fold the hidden fees aren't covering 1% of the figured amount of music, movies and software that is being pirated. So the have to take extra steps now...do I blame them? NO. You shouldn't either.

So your complaint really doesn't hold any water, the internet is a place that has grown over the years that its become more easier to track people through the IP's and such which why every person that has been suspected to be a pedophile is one. They track them the same way they now are tracking you downloading those pirated warez, movies, and songs to your computer every night.

I also wanted to mention something about your comment about artists only making $1 on a sold cd. Boy are you off.

I've also previously mentioned a band that started in school (my wife's) school had an offer from BMG while they were in school, they rejected the offer, few members kicked out, they moved on and got another offer from BMG 2 years later.

To this day, my wife, her best friend is married to the drummer, the lead singer was my wife's prom date and they still speak to this day. This band is still knocking out albums after a 6 year hiatus. Let's just say we got to talking last thanksgiving and it's not about the CD sales. They don't live lavish lifestyles making $1 per CD divided by 5 band members. Their net income far exceeds what you'd even consider reasonable.

As a matter of fact, they became more known due to piracy AFTER BMG signed them. They were only really popular in Canada until then. Then the US started listening and it continued world wide.

FatBastid

join:2012-12-27
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

reply to Leathal

said by Leathal:

The law says $100 to $5000 for all infringements. So why are you standing on your soapbox and cheering on a company who is manipulating the court by filing for $20,000 and asking for disclosure of all the defendant's financial information? The next time you do a rolling stop at a 4 way intersection will you pay $20,000 to the court? Your actions put the public interest at risk a lot more than someone watching a B movie. Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with. Unless you can seed a torrent 2years later and sue a 12 year old kid for his college fund. I said it before but maybe it needs to be said again: people should not get things for free, but neither should companies. Respect for the law goes both ways. Voltage is making a mockery of our new laws, and only a fool would applaud that.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by FatBastid:

Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with.

Well said. This is what Copyright law was created for, not as a source of revenue. Those who argue otherwise need a fresh cup of coffee.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Leathal

said by Leathal:

and they still are collecting that and even expanded what they collect on....bring some blank cdrs covered by the media levy

MEDIA LEVY look up word media and what it entails and last i read its not just music as mister geist liked to claim.