how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

openwire

join:2012-12-28
Victoria, BC

[BC] Profile optimization?

I'm wondering how I can determine what profile my DSL is on and if or what it is optimized for? I can't say I've ever had any issues with my DSL but if I can get lower latency for online gaming that would be excellent.

Maybe one of the TELUS employees hanging around here could look into it for me?

Thanks!

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
said by openwire:

I'm wondering how I can determine what profile my DSL is on and if or what it is optimized for? I can't say I've ever had any issues with my DSL but if I can get lower latency for online gaming that would be excellent.

Maybe one of the TELUS employees hanging around here could look into it for me?

Thanks!

Call into the help desk, and ask to be placed on a lower latency profile.

spock

join:2012-07-08
In the past I have tried that and always been told my line is fine and get refused. Hopefully he is sucessful.

openwire

Victoria, BC
reply to openwire
Haha. I was just trying to be lazy, but I'll call when I get home from work. Thanks!

openwire

Victoria, BC
reply to openwire
Apparently they can't optimize a profile if there's also TTV on the account which makes sense I guess. Oh well.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to openwire
There are cases where the system automatically adjusts the profile on it's own for stability. If they are able to manually change the profile, they can, but sometimes it's not always as easy.

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada
reply to TierX
TierX. Why does nobody at Telus have any clue what Im talking about? I have used online chat/phone, and everyone is completely clueless. I have been told that this profile does not exist.

TierX

Canada
said by mdub6:

TierX. Why does nobody at Telus have any clue what Im talking about? I have used online chat/phone, and everyone is completely clueless. I have been told that this profile does not exist.

Tell them to contact Tier 2, have them disable PO on your line, and change your profile in Synopsis or directly from the DSLAM. This should literally take only a few minutes. Having TTV on the line makes no difference what so ever.

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada
Thanks for your help! I guess I better ask one question first. If for some reason this mangles my connection..... will Telus undo what I have asked for? The reason I ask is because I am stuck on a 6meg profile. That cant be good!

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TierX
I'm curious tierX have you ever called as a customer to try and get your profile changed?

My experience has been they will never contact tier2 and will tell you your line is fine. They will usually put you on hold for 5 mins and say everything is good. It is verrrrrryyyyy frustrating. It was the reason I switched to tsi. Tsi got me on 7 ms

Ayzee

join:2010-03-26
canada
I've also tried numerous time's and it's been troublesome. They always say everything looks normal and don't want to try to fix what you ask.

Thanks to some Telus employee's on here they managed to be quite helpful for me in the past with getting on to a great profile, sadly it doesn't last forever.

The problem i've found after I do manage to get on to a decent profile(correct me if im wrong) the DSLexpress tool Telus uses eventually reverts you on to a different one that sucks. Even if the line has been stable for the past weeks/months. It does this automatically sometimes?

Either way, we need more profile aware tier 1 people at Telus.

TierX

Canada
said by Ayzee:

The problem i've found after I do manage to get on to a decent profile(correct me if im wrong) the DSLexpress tool Telus uses eventually reverts you on to a different one that sucks. Even if the line has been stable for the past weeks/months. It does this automatically sometimes?

That'll happen if they don't disable PO (Profile Optimization) on your line in Assia DSL Expresse.

And yes, I have called into the help desk before when I wasn't able to login via VPN to fix something. The agent did refuse to transfer to Tier 2, but then I told them I would email their manager, and they transferred me right away .

anhloc

join:2009-12-11
Canada
reply to spock
That's one of the benefits of working at TELUS. You get to talk to the person face to face (depending where you work) and have them see if there are any issues on your line, or to tweak your profile, etc.

Saves a call and a bunch of grief.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.