All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
RAGEAngel9
join:2002-05-11
Savage, MN

RAGEAngel9 to pjschwartz

to pjschwartz

Re: [MN] Motorola SB6121 Offical Support yet?

First off I will say that I am basing this off my experiences and if the SB6121 can work I will be very happy to be wrong.
I was told by both Chad and another Mediacom tech that the SB6121 would not be able to reach the ultra speed and as said earlier in the thread, no known support date is know.
Considering I'm still not getting ultra speeds with the mediacom provided modems (or if I am I get consistent connection drop offs), I am not trying to pus myself off as any type of expert.
RAGEAngel9

RAGEAngel9

And since I'm now involved in this thread and if no one minds, I assume that with the output below for my modem I am NOT bonding on 4 channels. Is that correct?
Thanks.

Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 0: -4.8 dBmV 35.6 dBmV
Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
Random_H3ro
join:2012-12-21
Ottawa, IL

Random_H3ro

Correct
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly to RAGEAngel9

to RAGEAngel9
The SB6121 will do the 50Mbps service just fine, in fact it pull much more than that.

Take a look at the spec sheet...

»www.motorola.com/web/Bus ··· heet.pdf

Theoretical max is 171mbps down and well over 100 up, and you will never see those speeds available. I know guys on the 105mbps service where its available that are getting around 110-120 with that very model of modem.

The problem your having is not your modem, its their end, the modem isn't getting bonded on four downstream channels, without that your never going to see the speed your paying for.

Ferret Face
@mchsi.com

Ferret Face to RAGEAngel9

Anon

to RAGEAngel9
Per Best Buy website-SB6121 rated up to 160Mbps download and 120 up.
Reviews give it 4.5 out of 5.
It sells for $99.
I know of several in this area and none have had any significant problems with this modem running on Mediacom.
RAGEAngel9
Savage, MN

RAGEAngel9 to kb0nly

to kb0nly
I appreciate the responses. I had assumed what you had pointed out, but since it wasn't working I took MC's word for it.
Since it seems I have other problems than just the modem, I'll have to get that settled first.
pjschwartz
join:2005-03-25
Sun City, AZ

pjschwartz to RAGEAngel9

to RAGEAngel9
Reach out to MediacomChad via PM and ask him to investigate at his end . . .
RAGEAngel9
Savage, MN

RAGEAngel9

So I had a tech out this morning and it was a non-modem equipment issue in the house. I've already forgotten which piece the tech said specifically but it was either a splitter that was there when I moved in or one of the connectors on the coaxial. Either way he switched it out and I now seem to be at full speed. I'll have to try switching over to my sb6121 later, but I'm just happy to be getting the ultra speeds.
Thanks again to everyone for help and suggestions.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

Good to hear. I'm just on standard package, but the SB6121 has made my internet rock solid since installing it. I think the 4 channel bonding helps even the standard packages. Seems it handles any hiccups better.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Indeed. I installed a Zoom 5341J for my dad recently, who's on one of the grandfathered tiers (15/1?). He's consistently getting around 17 Mbps down, with no fluctuation (more info here). The modem's currently bonding four downstream channels. His old Arris TM502 would fluctuate between 12-15 Mbps.

jay67
@sbcglobal.net

jay67 to Ferret Face

Anon

to Ferret Face

Re:support for SBG6580

This is the Motorola "Surfboard Extreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router" - DOCSIS3.0. I was referred to this model when i called to set up service (15-1) and wanted to simplify the setup. Does anyone currently use this equipment and, if so, what is their experiences with it ? Does mediacom officially support it, since they specifically recommended it ? Also, does Mediacom usually install a "trap" on a new line if you only order cable ? Do not mean to stray off 6121 topic but did not want to create a new thread just to solicit input.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Hello jay67,

The SBG6580 should work with our services, but we would not be able to supply firmware for it.

jay67
@sbcglobal.net

jay67

Anon

Thanks for reply Chad - As stated, the person I arranged install with recommended this model for those wanting to simplify their setup vs router+modem. I guess it can always go back to Staples if I run into problems. I went with docsis 3.0 version after tel rep verified it was at my residence location, even though I probubly don't need it with 15/1 plan I suspect, but the multichaneling might help overall and I have room to upgrade speed after the 90 day trial is over.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any issues going forward.