Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to b2r4l

Re: [CenturyTel] Advance tech support? Hah!

No VZN! The CL phone service has been horrid since POTS was discontinued. They say the CO is FIOS; no POTS.

...The copper lines to the house were replaced 5 years ago because the internet would not work.
...Recently the company checked all the lines between the CO and my house (8 blocks) due to reboot issues. No line issues. Modem was replaced.
...All of my phone lines have filters.
...My portable phones are new. The filters are new. The lines from the jacks to all the phones are new.

When the equipment works it is beautiful. When it is doesn't it is a swiss cheese mess

*I am hearing and vision impaired.*

* I have one phone line and two jacks. 1 base unit/3 handsets, and 1 wired unit. There is no difference between one jack and the other.

*I have one modem. My Mac computers are wireless; two are online.

I do not know which is more annoying: the phone that need to be coddled, or the internet that needs to be bottle fed?

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside
Expand your moderator at work

b2r4l

join:2002-02-27
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to linicx

Re: [CenturyTel] Advance tech support? Hah!

Yeah. AT&T also is another provider which doesn't revert it's customers back to POTS after going to their FIOS equivalent. It's not a matter of physical inability, but their procedures in place to phase out POTS most likely.

Although you replaced the copper in your house, it still is possible that it is wiring. Please re-read my post and try to answer my questions more directly if you want direct instructions, otherwise just follow the suggestions which match up to the issue you're experiencing and let us know how it works.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
I've done the tests. I kept records for CL tech support and phone support that were ignored. I do not not have electrical wiring issues.

It is always the same canned 15 year old answer. "Every thing is fine on our end. Reboot."

Wiring was solved with an electrician, a new electric panel and more breakers. At the same time I replaced all aging mechanical units such as furnace with new. All electrical wiring was checked from attic to basement and at every outlet and switch. The phone guy and I did the jack tests. He couldn't find anything wrong. I don't think you can find it when the phone IS working.

Maybe it is wiring? Maybe it is a surge? Maybe it's in the CO? They replaced cards before to keep me connected. Maybe it is faulty equipment? Or faulty software? Or a handshake? Or a card or old router in the rack?

I've replaced 8 routers in four years. Maybe it is a cap or traffic shaping? Maybe it is the weather? I've had the same kind of VoIP problems when I had the cable phone. There was not enough bandwidth. If I wanted it to emulate POTS and have a stable I had to buy a business line.

I live in a very isolated rural area. I need a phone that is dependable.

This problem is leaving here just fine. I am not going to buy a business line. If the phone was one line and the computer on another maybe it would make a difference. Maybe the problem would be isolated? And maybe not. My home is a Faraday's Cage on US Highway surrounded by high voltage wires. I'm behind high-priced surge protectors. I haven' seen but one brown out in over 5 years.

The phone wiring is 60 years old. I pay for inside wiring coverage. It should be no problem for CL to fish in new lines. That would eliminate one possibility. Maybe.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside