spc
uniqs
FatBastid
join:2012-12-27
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

FatBastid to Leathal

to Leathal

Re: If TekSavvi doesn't fight on Jan 14th, I'm leaving them.

said by Leathal:

Back in the 1980 and 1980s the Canadian Copyright Law allowed you to make a copy for your own person use. I bet you didn't know this did you? The law become more relaxed with CD burners started to flood the market place because the board of the Canadian Copyright decided to charge a small fee on record able digital media to try and recover some of the cost (if not all of it) from people pirating stuff.

Now that we have evolved to where we are now piracy has increased 100 fold the hidden fees aren't covering 1% of the figured amount of music, movies and software that is being pirated. So the have to take extra steps now...do I blame them? NO. You shouldn't either.

So your complaint really doesn't hold any water, the internet is a place that has grown over the years that its become more easier to track people through the IP's and such which why every person that has been suspected to be a pedophile is one. They track them the same way they now are tracking you downloading those pirated warez, movies, and songs to your computer every night.

The law says $100 to $5000 for all infringements. So why are you standing on your soapbox and cheering on a company who is manipulating the court by filing for $20,000 and asking for disclosure of all the defendant's financial information? The next time you do a rolling stop at a 4 way intersection will you pay $20,000 to the court? Your actions put the public interest at risk a lot more than someone watching a B movie. Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with. Unless you can seed a torrent 2years later and sue a 12 year old kid for his college fund. I said it before but maybe it needs to be said again: people should not get things for free, but neither should companies. Respect for the law goes both ways. Voltage is making a mockery of our new laws, and only a fool would applaud that.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by FatBastid:

Copyright is not the same as property rights. It exists to protect the public interest, by providing incentive for the creation of new works. In that it must be balanced, and should not allow revenues from litigation to dwarf the revenues from the merits of the works. The inherent value of a work is dictated by the marketplace. If people stayed away in droves when you put out your work, maybe it's not worth much to begin with.

Well said. This is what Copyright law was created for, not as a source of revenue. Those who argue otherwise need a fresh cup of coffee.