spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KennesawMtn

join:2008-12-30
Kennesaw, GA

2Wire 3600HGV - giving LAN devices names??

Got Uverse internet today replacing my DSL and everthing seems to working fine.

I do have a question about the list of devices that show up on the modem's home screen and Settings, LAN tab. Some of my devices do not map with a name, only their mac address. For example, neither my iMac, Macbook, XBOX, nor my work issued iPhone have a personalized name in the list, but other iphones, PC, and DVRs do. Any way to personalize those?

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
kudos:1
I never used the feature, but on my 3600 I see something on:
»192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0

It is showing me a device and two hyperlinks that can be clicked:
Device Details & Edit Name
I think Edit Name is what you need.

KennesawMtn

Kennesaw, GA
There is no Edit Name link as an available option on my interface. Oh well.

Frodo

reply to KennesawMtn
I see something like this:

Due to some DHCP issues, I have statically assigned the IP to this device that would ordinarily be assigned through the DMZ plus method. I don't know if every device can have its name edited or only out of whack devices.

KennesawMtn

Kennesaw, GA
reply to KennesawMtn
Figured it out. My device names for my iPhone and the Macs were too long. Shortened them (in the MAC OS, the name listed under Sharing), and renewed the DHCP lease and they now show not as "unknown" any more. I don't know what the precise name limit is but it appears to be about 15 characters.

Frodo

reply to KennesawMtn
I went and fixed the DHCP issue (that I broke). Once I did that, the Edit Name option disappeared. Only the device details showed. Since I only have one device connected to the modem, I'm not too terribly confused.