spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SuperWISP
join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

SuperWISP

Caps are good.

ISPs are not charities. Caps are a perfectly reasonable way to make sure that everyone pays his or her fair share of the (very high) cost of providing broadband service. Would you rather see ISPs meter by the byte?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

ISPs are not charities. OK

The rest needs some tuning. Of the triple play, HSI is BY FAR the most profitable, and then phone, and then lowly cable.

Caps have NOTHING to do with congestion, they are behavioral modifications, and are in fact predatory and kept artificially low as to slow OTT and IP-product innovation to usurp the cable monolith.

If I do 80% of my internet traffic at 3AM, Verizon shakes my hand because I'm just warming up GBICs that are lonely. If I do 80% of my traffic at 5PM and so is everyone else, then maybe some QoS needs to kick in.

Network critical measurement is utilized bandwidth, not necessarily bytes consumed. Your cloud clowns all have CDN or POP in your ISP network, so it's not like they are getting hit with transit fees, and even those are damn cheap these days.

In Canada one 3rd party ISP gives out non-metered usage in the wee evening hours because, an unused link is USELESS.

Networks are meant to be used. This is not a precious commodity.

Fair share -> You sound like an Obama puppet. Define fair share?

$50 for internet is fair share and a crap load of billies in the ISP pockets. Overage charges are to put Jet A in that new executive Gulfstream.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to SuperWISP

Premium Member

to SuperWISP
said by SuperWISP:

ISPs are not charities. Caps are a perfectly reasonable way to make sure that everyone pays his or her fair share of the (very high) cost of providing broadband service. Would you rather see ISPs meter by the byte?

Throttles are for network management. Caps are for business management ( AKA, ripping people off )

Caps do absolutely nothing for peak usage times.
Rakusu
join:2012-10-30

Rakusu to SuperWISP

to SuperWISP
Charities.

Sure thing, they would be a charity to not have caps after taking $85 CAD for 100/5/500GB because not having a cap somehow costs another $110.

Meanwhile in Lithuania my friend pays $30 CAD for 200/100 and no caps. Guess what? They have a crap budget for it too. There is nothing reasonable about this.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to SuperWISP

to SuperWISP
said by SuperWISP:

Yep and I bet you can't pay enough taxes either because they help the poor. A sucker is born every minute and you are one of them. A business is a business if an ISP can't make money let them go out of business and let the next one try. There will always be a next one.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to SuperWISP

Premium Member

to SuperWISP
You mean "his or her fair share of our budgeted profit goals".

Meter by the byte? Sure, as long as we don't pay for crap we don't want and the pricing is regulated well to be a fair rate. Since that won't happen, then no.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to SuperWISP

Premium Member

to SuperWISP
If you have 1mbps-3mbps and are getting charged $50-$80 there should never be a cap. If it's not obvious some customers that have been on the same priced plan over 11 years. At that price they should've upgraded long ago.

So where did all that money go?