how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hagbard72

join:2000-10-02
Kingsville

Steaming video

My service began yesterday, so my first observation.

Speeds are what they're supposed to be (19/1.5) but when I try going to HGTV.ca (for example) and run a streaming video, it buffers like crazy and is low resolution. I've not experienced this on that site before.

I should mention, the modem has two lights lit blue and two green if that's telling me anything.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Are you only experiencing buffering with that site?

Also can you test direct to modem without any routers, wireless, etc.

If still having problems please PM me your account number.

Thanks.

hagbard72

Kingsville

2 edits
reply to hagbard72
Sent an email to your tech support team. Okay, got one question answered but curious about another. Why does the Modem Diagnosis think I have three computers attached? I have it hooked up to a router, wouldn't it see only one (ie: one mac address)?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
What modem do you have?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to hagbard72
You doing cloning? (or move around equipment, ie had the computer directly connected, then back to router or something?)

hagbard72

Kingsville

4 edits
Just recalled I did try out another router that hadn't been working. That accounts for two devices. Never been directly connected to any computer. I do have a phone adapter connected but through the router.

I will be replacing the router sometime this month, that would add another device, the Modem Diagnosis says I'm limited to three, I'm I going to run into any issues?

Modem is the DCM476.

Lots of edits this morning

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
If you reset your router/modem, it will reset the number of devices.

As Rocca stated that if you Clone your Mac address, it will count as an additional device!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to hagbard72
If you do a factory reset on it that will clear out the mac registrations and you'll be okay. Can you factory reset and see if it stays at 1, if not then factory reset again and go computer direct to modem and see if it stays at 1. Thanks.

hagbard72

Kingsville

1 edit
reply to hagbard72
I haven't cloned my mac address. I'll try resetting. Thanks.

Did it, now says one device. Thanks again.

Guru

Glad it's fixed for you!

hagbard72

Kingsville

1 edit
reply to hagbard72
Not fixed. Was one device till about fifteen minutes ago now its three again!

Are there any potential security issues here?

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72
Reset it again last night and has been holding to one since. Hope it stays that way but still seems odd I was getting three. Tech support called me about it but the explanation really didn't make sense.

hagbard72

Kingsville

3 edits
reply to hagbard72
Time to start disconnecting the modem at night.

Guru

Happened again? It has to do with your internal settings.

hagbard72

Kingsville

1 edit
Which internal settings? In the router?

update: seeing two devices again!!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Check all of the MAC addresses on your connected devices to see if any of them match.

hagbard72

Kingsville
Okay, I'm confused. The modem doesn't tell me what is connected just that there are three connections.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
That count is basically the unique mac in behind the modem. Maybe your wireless is in bridge mode instead of router.

hagbard72

Kingsville

2 edits
Nope. Definitely not in bridge mode. Thought it might be acting like a switch rather than a router, and that might explain things (but no, because it would register three devices right away not a day later). I've swapped out that router for my old WRT56g and I'll see how it goes. Someone proposed that there ARE three devices connecting. This is what he said:

"1. the CPE or customer public ip. which is assigned to your modem for public internet.
2. the cableco internal ip which is managed by the CATV headend controller. this identifies the device as a modem for internet and not cabletv stb. this is the ip used to provision the modem during auth stage.
3. the local subnet assigned ip. which is usually class C. your gateway controls this on the customer local network only. there is a bridge between this and the wan side ip.

so in short...the modem actually has 2 ips.
1st for local customer.
2nd for internal provisioning and control
3rd ip is local assigned and bridged or encapsulated via the subnets."
--
I wouldn't know. I also have people saying I'm being hacked ("you've got a friend") and that's my concern.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
The count is macs learned on the LAN port. Nothing regarding the wan nor the modem itself.

hagbard72

Kingsville

2 edits
reply to hagbard72
I think you're right. I removed the Trendnet wireless "n" router I was using and put my old Linksys wrt56g on, and it hasn't detected any additional devices since. My awful pings appear to have improved as well (400ms average to 24ms average, though deteriorating somewhat in the late afternoon) which I would imagine will improve the streaming video (haven't tested yet). My speeds from Speedtest and Cogeco speed test show a slight drop in speed though (16/1.3). So regardless, things are heading in the right direction. Just need that new router.

Guru

I'd recommend getting Asus N66-U

hagbard72

Kingsville
reply to hagbard72
Was looking at that, but I'm trying a $20 Linksys wrt310n next because I'm cheap. Will put tomato on it, and replace it with the Asus when it dies (my wrt320n lasted less than a year).

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by hagbard72:

Was looking at that, but I'm trying a $20 Linksys wrt310n next because I'm cheap. Will put tomato on it, and replace it with the Asus when it dies (my wrt320n lasted less than a year).

Ye, you are cheap!!