All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
samehere
join:2012-11-16

samehere to beachintech

to beachintech

Re: Halo 4 bandwidth usage

Yeah, the one on mediacom page. most the pc's have not even been running since everyone is busy with new toys. But both boys have been running both xboxes about 12 hours a day since christmas. I also sharted doing a search and seen a person saying they can eat 80 gig in a jam session weekend of playing Halo 4, but I even find that hard to believe. I know when we just had 1 i had to upgrade my router to handle 2 because they are hogs but 50 gig in 3 days seems insane.

Every since mediacom put in a bandwidth cap meter I check it alot. I also asked the boys if they were streaming youtube or something 24/7 on their laptops while they play and they said they were not. The other halo's were hogs but not enough to notice that much. Was just wondering if anyone knew for sure. I am sure it will not be as bad when they go back to school after break.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Unfortunately we do not have a way to monitor what programs or devices are using the most. You may want to check in your router for any connected devices that you don't recognize. It's possible someone has made their way into your wireless network and started downloading things.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

Unfortunately we do not have a way to monitor what programs or devices are using the most. You may want to check in your router for any connected devices that you don't recognize. It's possible someone has made their way into your wireless network and started downloading things.

Out of curiosity, even if you can't monitor which programs or devices are using the most, you would in theory be able to break it down day by day right? Hour by hour? Then the OP could at least compare that data with the hours he knows the Xboxes are in use.

Herein lies exactly the problems people are afraid of when it comes to caps. It's downright difficult to track all bandwidth usage at the router end, at least with some older models of router. You can custom flash them with firmware, but that's not something all of us are comfortable doing. So in the end, we're stuck just trusting that the ISP is measuring correctly, and we really have no way to verify that. Unlike the water or electric company, there's no oversight to make sure that things are being measured accurately.

cville
@mchsi.com

cville

Anon

Yep I won't do caps period. IT's nothing but BS to make more money. They are certainly a business and have a right to try and make money. However costumers have a right to leave as well. The biggest threat to America concerning catching up to the world in internet speed is caps and collision between companies to create a cap friendly environment. IT's mediacoms and other cable companies biggest fear that consumers will choose to drop video service and only use them as a isp to serve Netflix/hulu/amazon/roku/youtube/and soon redbox. Caps is a way to assert more control.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by cville :

Yep I won't do caps period. IT's nothing but BS to make more money. They are certainly a business and have a right to try and make money. However costumers have a right to leave as well. The biggest threat to America concerning catching up to the world in internet speed is caps and collision between companies to create a cap friendly environment. IT's mediacoms and other cable companies biggest fear that consumers will choose to drop video service and only use them as a isp to serve Netflix/hulu/amazon/roku/youtube/and soon redbox. Caps is a way to assert more control.

The only other viable ISP option in this area, CenturyLink (and I use the term viable loosely, because 1.5mbit barely qualifies as broadband these days) also has caps. The problem is that once one person implements it, it's difficult to find someone that doesn't. At least in Canada some customers have access to TekSavvy, who offers cap-free choices at reasonable prices.