uniqs
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to ccclark

to ccclark

Re: [General] June 15, 2018?

I thought the phone network, except for the "last mile" was all digital already? What is this going to change?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by OmagicQ:

I thought the phone network, except for the "last mile" was all digital already? What is this going to change?

Presumably instead of dedicated circuits that go from one facility to another they will just start to use IP transit in more of a mesh set up.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ
said by OmagicQ:

An all-IP network will allow all kinds of applications that are not presently possible using the dedicated circuits approach of TDM networks. Think various forms of HDVoice, multi-channel audio, video, etc.

In essence this is the final phase of the IP world swallowing the TDM world. Once internet access was:

modem -> analog copper line -> Channel bank -> TDM network

So the internet was effectively tunneling through the TDM realm. That situation has evolved from the network core out to its edge. At present the final phase is hindered by legal and regulatory legacy.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo

Premium Member

said by mgraves1:

So the internet was effectively tunneling through the TDM realm.

And vice versa, too.

I seem to recall UUNET and a major carrier (AT&T voice?) signing an agreement in the mid-to-late 1990's to off-load peak traffic to each other's network. The peaks were almost 180 degrees out of phase at that time.