share rss forum feed

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Galaxy Note 2

Who has the Note 2? What's your thoughts? I'm considering upgrading to this from my iPhone 5
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5

Do it!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Jackarino

I haven't had the Note 2, however, I just want to throw in that before I had my first Android phone I had 2 different iPhones (the 3GS and the 4).

After you go with an Android like the Note 2, you will never look back......IMO of course.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Jackarino

I don't have it (yet?) but I'm considering it and spend some time in a T-Mobile store yesterday to try it out.
Despite already using an Android phone (Motorola cliq) I felt that there was a learning curve with things not necessarily working the way I expected them to (not as intuitive as it could/should be). That is probably not a serious issue since it shouldn't take long to get used to it.
The big screen is great for viewing/drawing but the large phone may cause issues carrying it around.
Applications were much more responsive (loading instantly) then on my old phone which got a bit slow after upgrading to Android 2.1.
I had hoped playing with it would help me decide one way or another but I'm still undecided.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to Jackarino

Im not really sure what I want to do.

Right now its a toss up between the S3 and the Note 2.

I'm going to buy the phone full price b/c I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan (Verizon)

I know these are two really great phones........but since I have decided to buy outright, I might just go with the S3 since there are some really good deals on ebay.....I'll update once I have made a decision.

Thx
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

I've had my note 2 since mid November. So far I love it. I was considering a s3 as well, but the note 2 was my final choice. The note has more features than the s3, the bigger screen is nicer. The battery life alone is worth choosing the note2. The battery life has been the best thing i like. It is liberating not having to worry about the battery dieing. With normal use i can go 24 hrs on a charge. My old nexus s would be dead after 8 hours of use.

The size seems ridiculous at first, but after a day or two you don't notice it. Every other phone seems too small now. I would never get a phone with a smaller screen now.

Hope this helps.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Im not really sure what I want to do.

Right now its a toss up between the S3 and the Note 2.

I'm going to buy the phone full price b/c I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan (Verizon)

I know these are two really great phones........but since I have decided to buy outright, I might just go with the S3 since there are some really good deals on ebay.....I'll update once I have made a decision.

Thx

The American version of the S3 is outdated ..only has a dual core and a aging gpu, the note 2 though has quad core and I believe a better gpu..what I'm saying is don't go out and buy a outdated phone full price, with all these new better tech phones hitting the market. Doesn't make much finical sense or user experience sense. IMO

Also be aware these phones run Touchwiz over stock Android and will be late at getting Android OS updates and as time goes on they'll stop getting them altogether.

Have you looked at the Droid DNA? Best phone on the market right now..just the bootloader is locked so developer support ain't there ..(yet) the screen on it is 1080p and 5in quad core cpu, 2gb ram, best gpu in current phones, and lte. sounds like it would fit you nicely with the big screen and nice features and also supports wireless charging out of the box.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

said by ztmike:

The American version of the S3 is outdated ..only has a dual core and a aging gpu, the note 2 though has quad core and I believe a better gpu..what I'm saying is don't go out and buy a outdated phone full price, with all these new better tech phones hitting the market. Doesn't make much finical sense or user experience sense. IMO

Sorry, this is just not correct. Few apps today can even take advantage of a quad core processor. The main reason for quad core these days is battery life... not speed. Both the S3 and DNA have 1.5GHz processors. The CPU's should perform about the same.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

I looked at the DNA. Great screen, yes. But the small battery and the lack of a micro SD card slot just turned me off completely...not to mention HTC's Sense overlay, BLAH.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

said by Jackarino:

I looked at the DNA. Great screen, yes. But the small battery and the lack of a micro SD card slot just turned me off completely...not to mention HTC's Sense overlay, BLAH.

The cartoonish look of touchwiz ain't no better..but just download a launcher like Nova Prime it will give you stock Android look.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to Jackarino

I've used Sense and Touchwiz and personally, I think they are both very good. I'm certainly not a fan of manufactures UI but I feel that Samsung did a very good job with TW on the S3 and Note 2 (which is one reason they are selling so well). Samsung had a lot of things in TW that Google did not add until 4.1. The quick toggles in the pull down notification screen is the most notable. Samsung gave S-Voice a shot. It's not bad but now Google Voice search is better. Sideswipe to call/message from contacts is another great feature. The list goes one and on.

I think Samsung _finally_ raised the bar on Android phones (and HTC to some degree as well). Other manufactures now see that they can't just put out crap and have it sell. They need to make a phone that will last more then 1 or perhaps 2 years. The Note 2 is another good example of this. The people it appeals to are those that don't want to carry a tablet and a phone. It's an attempt to make a phone that you can do some actual work on, like you can with a tablet. I think that is a great idea. It will appeal to a smaller segment of people but with the features that Samsung added, it brings some new ideas to the table (split screen is a new one... Android does not offer this... yet).

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to Jackarino

May it be the S3 or the Note 2, this will be my device for at least 2 years.

As I'm typing this post, I am on a S3 and I really like it better compared to my iPhone 5.

At least the S3 has the same Android update as the Note 2 so I can see some sort of representation of the look and feel.

I had the HTC Thunderbolt and I hated it. But by juding the S3 thus far, Android has come a long way.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
reply to Jackarino

I have the SIII, coming from a 4s. Totally happy with it.
--
| map your city |

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

I can sell my iPhone 5 32GB with apple care for $675+ on ebay
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by Jackarino:

I can sell my iPhone 5 32GB with apple care for $675+ on ebay

I dont now what your comfort zone is, but have you thought about trying to do a trade? I posted on craigslist to do an even trade and had plenty of offers within the first couple of hours. you having the 5, you should definitely get offers quickly.

but in any case, someone is also willing to shell out the cash
--
| map your city |

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

I'd rather stay away from craigslist because of the "shady" people out there.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to Jackarino

I just bought my wife a Note 2 and she loves it.

It was one of her Christmas gifts.

She was also a former iPhone 4S user, like myself..:+)
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

I'd rather stay away from craigslist because of the "shady" people out there.

I dont blame you. I usually weed out the assholes in the ad. I'm usually explicitly clear, only use a textfree number or email at first and meet at starbucks with my brother in another part of town nowhere near my home.

the SIII and Note 2 are great phones. I love mine, but wouldnt mind getting the note 2 only for the screen size upgrade
--
| map your city |

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to Jackarino

Got mine a few weeks ago & I absolutely love it. Features, battery life, screen size, stylus & it still fits nice in my front pocket with a slim case on it. I just don't like the feel when driving so I take it out.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
reply to pcdebb

If I do a phone swap I would go to a Verizon store so they can do all the switches, etc.

There is one on craigs right now where the guy is looking to trade. He has a white GN2. Is white okay for guys?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

said by Jackarino:

He has a white GN2. Is white okay for guys?

Only before Labor Day.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
reply to Jackarino

my phone is white. I guess that's the new phone color these days, a black phone is so blah
--
| map your city |

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

A few of my buddies have white phones, I wouldn't mind having white, its just different.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
reply to Retired

Loco, since your wife is a former iPhone 4S user, how does she like Note 2 keyboard for text messages? I am trying to get far from Qwerty keyboards I can not see to use. ~ Thanks.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

I got the Galaxy Note 2!

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4

said by Jackarino:

I got the Galaxy Note 2!

Congrats! I know i love mine.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

Im playing around with the phone now. I love it thus far!
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Retired
Premium
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to linicx

said by linicx:

Loco, since your wife is a former iPhone 4S user, how does she like Note 2 keyboard for text messages?

She actually likes it better. I'm also liking her new phone.....better than my GS3.
--

Retired
Premium
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Jackarino

Great choice, Jack.....now i would highly recommend getting an OtterBox case.

»www.otterbox.com/Samsung-Galaxy-···-2-cases

I bought one for my wife's Note 2 and also my GS3. Both are black..:+)
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jackarino

That looks good or I might get a mercury case from Amazon
--
Romney - Ryan 2012