uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Is Oracle Java 7 Update 10 Going to Improve Security?

The file doesn't exist. At least search couldn't find it. I searched after I tried to execute it in the run box and Windows said it couldn't find the path.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

It's probably not in your path. Find the file instead.

On my Win7 x64 system the full pathname is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe

Under WinXP it is

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe

If the file is missing I'd suspect a borked Java install.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It is there in Program Files. But it would still crash.

I figured it out though. Java requires access to physical memory (a lot of programs don't so routinely I let ProcessGuard block that access which it does by default for new programs unless it is in learning mode when the new program is installed and I think I just temporarily disabled PG when I install the new Java instead of putting it in learning mode. I thought it would use the same settings that PG already has for Java 6). Certain of the tabs on the applet were causing PG to alert and block physical memory access. ProcessGuard was properly trained on all versions of Java 6 so I had no problems all the years I had Java 6x. Java 7 executes from two locations (Java 6 did not show the system 32 location in PG like Java 7 does) and uses some files that Java 6 did not use. So, I had to keep telling PG after some portion of the Java applet would cause a crash when I clicked on it, to allow that. So, now PG has Java 7 in protected status and with the necessary allowances.

Everything is fine now. Is that slider what is new and some of the settings in Advanced tab? Those were the differences I noticed from Java 6.