Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Linux taking over the world?

We can hope.

Steam on linux, ouya, and steam box will hopefully help. I'll get the first two, but skip the steam box as it will probably just be a linux box with steam which I will already have by then.

Only about the 1/2 half of it is linux, the rest is BS governments are doing, hollywood pirating stuff, samsung and 14nm stuff, and a bit of gaming talk.

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···GwC2ueWA

FF4m3

@rr.com

said by me1212:

Linux is not trying to 'take over the world'.
Linux isn't trying to do anything except be an excellent kernel for its users.

That said, Linux OSes are being increasingly voluntarily widely accepted, adapted and utilized for a wide variety of purposes and in wonderfully diverse devices.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

2 recommendations

Well, in one sense, phones are taking over the world and Linux is taking over phones.

Tim

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6

2 recommendations

reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Did the Mayans predict this?

--
Here's To You

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

»mashable.com/2012/11/14/android-72-percent/

That is smartphones. Android tablets are making advances as well.

Android is linux pretty much and will fully merge with the kernel tree in the near future:

»www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···69,d.dmQ
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

said by FF4m3 :

said by me1212:

Linux is not trying to 'take over the world'.
Linux isn't trying to do anything except be an excellent kernel for its users.

That said, Linux OSes are being increasingly voluntarily widely accepted, adapted and utilized for a wide variety of purposes and in wonderfully diverse devices.

Which is a direct side effect of it being open source. There is nobody to tell you "no there is no version of linux for microwave ovens." because there does not have to be a version, a company can build it from source. Really no other OS offers that to a device maker. OSX is strictly Apple, and Windows is sold as is.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2
reply to me1212

What about standards with packaging, file systems and audio framework? Does Linux standardize their ecosystem, or is it just a fragmented mess?

FF4m3

@rr.com

said by DarkSithPro:

What about standards with packaging, file systems and audio framework? Does Linux standardize their ecosystem, or is it just a fragmented mess?

Linux, in reality, is the kernel. Everything else is added. Devs can do as they wish, even modifying the kernel in accordance with the GPL and other applicable licenses.

ironwalker
World Renowned
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ
reply to me1212

I wish verizon and companies in the us would make more linux phones. I say the us because outside of the us, linux phones are more abundant and the norm from what I have read. Linux is moving quite fast and more steady now than in the past imo. I am quite happy withthe progress of things, even linux drivers. I am guessing the desktop world is getting more mainstream due toall the restrictions and whatnot microsoft is doing to there OS.
--
Live Free or Die!
Siduction (Kanotix>Sidux>Apotsid>Forked to siduction) »siduction.org/
»www.chronixradio.com

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to me1212

Well with Microsoft doing their best to push people away from Windows it should not take much.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO

said by Anonymous:

Well with Microsoft doing their best to push people away from Windows it should not take much.

I'll add, as a lifetime Apple user, that the Company is trying to do the same thing. They are dumbing down OS X and focusing on the consumer electronics arm, rather than the professional arm, which carried them through the "bad times" of the 1990s. If a few excellent professional apps are ported to Linux, I would think many OS X users would jump ship, too.
--
"Heaven is having an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

the primary professional app that has the "plays better on Mac" image though is pretty much only Photoshop.

It would be interesting to see if Gimp could seize the ball, should Adobe not support linux. If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.
--

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO

said by Kearnstd:

It would be interesting to see if Gimp could seize the ball, should Adobe not support linux. If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.

The GIMP is pretty poor, when compared to Photoshop (just putting it out there). If it improved, substantially, it might have a chance. If Apple does kill the Mac Pro, the company would become a joke, in the eyes of professionals, who would immediately abandon ship. the iMac or Mac Mini are, basically, laptops and not professional-grade hardware.
--
"Heaven is having an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.

When was the last time they even updated it? I know last year(mid summer) when I check it was still running 5000 series gpus and the xeons that came out the same year.

Heck with haswell the macbook pros cpu may beat that, not sure how the mobile gpu market will play out at the time.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Brendan

said by Brendan:

The GIMP is pretty poor, when compared to Photoshop (just putting it out there).

There's some stuff that you can do in PS that you can't do in Gimp and vice-verse. To say it is "pretty poor" is hyperbole. It's pretty awesome. It may not be able to replace PS for professionals that do high-end stuffs, but for 99% of the population is does more than enough.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

We can hope.

Then we can unleash the driod army and put down the rebellion.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to FastEddie

said by FastEddie:

said by me1212:

Did the Mayans predict this?

I think that the Mayans predicted that UNIX would take over the world back in the '80s.

I bought into it and invested a lot of time going to UNIX admin classes, and even went to a number of UNIX vendor's hardware schools (whose systems were specifically designed to run various flavors of UNIX).

Most of those companies are no longer with us (or are no longer actively involved in marketing their flavor of UNIX). I think that once again, the Mayans were a day late and a dollar short.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

said by Kearnstd:

If Apple drops the Mac Pro for whatever reason they will not have a proper work grade machine.

When was the last time they even updated it? I know last year(mid summer) when I check it was still running 5000 series gpus and the xeons that came out the same year.

Heck with haswell the macbook pros cpu may beat that, not sure how the mobile gpu market will play out at the time.

From the looks of things they have not been updated.

This is one of the big flaws with Apple is they only do "group updates" While any other company selling enterprise workstations tends to stay on top of things. I think the Fruit Company is focusing mainly on its iDevices and notebooks now though.

However if one needs to do CG modeling there is always Linux and a workstation from a more up to date vendor.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Honestly I'm surprised they are selling mac pros at all anymore, why would people still buy them? The cpus are what 3 generations old? Ivy bridge i7s in the macpros could probably give them a run for their money, the mobile gpus may be a bit harder to get over though.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

I honestly do not know, Is there any art software that requires OSX? Mac Pros have generally been the home of the graphic arts, CG modeling and music. But applications for all that from the same vendors generally exist in the windows world and even some into Linux.

Today I do not think there is anything a Mac can do exclusively when it comes to doing work that Windows or Linux cannot. Other than cost three times as much for a dual CPU workstation.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I think theres like 2 things, but alternatives exist on windows/linux. Heck don't the macpros only come with ati? Adobe CS uses cuda cores from nvidia gpus for gpu acceleration

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to Brendan

said by Brendan:

The GIMP is pretty poor, when compared to Photoshop

"The" GIMP would be, since it hasn't been "The" GIMP since pre-1.x (when the "The" was dropped).

I used Photoshop a long (long, long, ...) time ago. And I've been using GIMP for awhile now. Frankly, I find the latest release a little annoying with the changes probably introduced to make it more "Photoshop-like". Photoshop has some good features and all, but GIMP really doesn't need to emulate Photoshop in order to be worth using.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"