Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

4 edits

2 recommendations

[My Review] Ipad Review - Useful only if jailbroken

I got an Ipad 3 16gb for free from a raffle 6 months ago.
I have been trying to see how useful it can be vs a laptop.
I also have a tm2t touchscreen laptop with windows 7 and 8 on it.
I also had a HP touchpad running Android that I just gave away and I have a small tablet that also runs android.
Anyways
Ipad 3, 16gb, no cell/gps = $500 (6 months ago)
-----
Pros - Work Stuff
-----
-I have been able to find an app or jailbreak app for just about everything I need

#1 app everyone needs is "iFile". It is a file explorer for the Ipad. Without it, then the ipad is almost useless as there is no way to move files around from different apps, from an sd card, or from downloads. I believe the only way to get is is to jail break your ipad and get it through cydia.

-Apple has Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to open and edit office documents (saves it into a different format, so not 100% perfect)
-VPN works perfectly with companies cisco vpn
-Email works perfectly for exchange outlook email (the reminder app does work with tasks, but no classifications; the calender also works with no issues, contacts works with outlook contacts with no issues)
-Facetime works for those that also have apple
-Sharepoint - there are like 3 good apps that work with sharepoint, the best is filamente which costs $20 (sharepoint does not work properly in safari)
-Citrix works with no issues (I used it to open SAP directly, there is no SAP app)
-Adobe Reader to open pdfs
-Winzip to uncompress attachments
-iRemoteWin free to remote desktop to a windows PC
-Calculator Pro free
-NotesPlus to hand write notes
-"Filebrowser" will let you connect to windows shared drives on your corporate network. You can browse, open, and copy files. iFile then can be used to move the file to another apps directory if needed. It will not work with the share drive name, you need to use the ip address of the root of the server.
Normally you would use \\drive\folder\, but you need the ip of the drive.
So \\drive would = \\182.223.231.12
You can ping the drive name to find its actual ip address.
Once in the shared drive you can click through the directories and open or copy files.

-----
Pros - Personal
-----
-You can download torrents using iTransmission (must be jailbroke)
To download a torrent you copy the link and past it into iTransmission.
-iFile to move files around or copy off SD card (must be jailbroke)
-Netflix (movies/TV)
-Amazon Instant Video (movies/TV included in prime)
-iHeartRadio App for listening to music for free
-Dospad (dos emulator, must be jailbroke) just for fun as you can play dos games like wolfenstein. You can even run windows 3.11 if you want.
-Google Earth
-iRemoteWin free for remote desktop
-Stars (Free star viewing app)
-"MP3 Player (NO iTunes Sync + Lyrics Display)" App for $1.99; The ipad dos not play mp3s unless you download a 3rd party program. Use iFile to copy music to its directory or it has a built in web server so you can copy music to it from your PC through your browser.
-VLC (not the streamer, must be jail broke), will play just about any movie, some HD movies will be jerky as the ipad 3 cannot handle the video decoding, but this is the only way to play movies on the Ipad that you downloaded/recorded on you dvr.
-TomTom app, good for directions when no wifi is around.
-Wifi Analyzer (wardriving)
-Wifi Pass, will display any saved wifi passcodes on your Ipad.
-"Filebrowser" will let you connect to windows shared drives on your network. You can browse, open, and copy files. iFile then can be used to move the file to another apps directory if needed.

------
Cons
------
-Editing textboxes is horrible and impossible, you need to jailbreak and install "SwipeSelection" from Cydia. This actually allows you to easily select text by dragging your finger over the keyboard.
-Ipad does not run MS office
-Cannot connect the ipad to any computer and copy files on the fly. You have to use an SD card as a go between and then iFile.
-Cannot play mp3s or movies without 3rd party apps; must be jailbroken to get VLC to watch movies, A good mp3 app costs $1.99.
-No way to browse files, move them around, or copy files from SD card without being jailbroken and getting iFile.
-Stutters running HD movies, does not seem to have a hardware decoder for movies. It studdered with some 1080p videos I was trying to watch, but worked fine with any SD or 720p videos.
-Obviously, cannot run busines apps that are only on windows.
-Itunes does not play any content you have your ipad unless it was sync'd from a PC, so basically Itunes is useless as why would you connect your standalone ipad to a PC and why would you install itunes on any of your computers as the whole point of the ipad it eliminate using the pc.
-NOT ENOUGH MEMORY!!!! This was $500 new and it only has 16GB of memory, that is a joke. For $500 it should be well over 100GB. You can get 64GB SD cards for less than $50.
-NO SD CARD Slot, I had to buy a china $5 SD external attachment to use an SD card. This is what I use »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00568BV68
It works with usb sticks or several different kinds memory cards.
I read a usb keyboard can also work with this, but I have not tested.
-NO USB port
-NO HDMI port, this is a joke that you have to buy an external attachment for this
-CANNOT plug the usb cable and copy over files like you can with android. I copy files by the SD card to quickly copy to and from another computer. This is a major plus for android. I can plug my android phone into ANY computer on the fly to copy files like it was a usb memory stick. It is crazy the ipad cannot do this.

-----
Overall
-----
The Ipad only is useful if jailbroken. If jailbroken it can almost replace a laptop (almost since it cannot run MS office).
With being jailbroken it can just about replace a computer for personal uses, but the space is severly limited.
You can download torrents and watch movies on it.

For many people a jailbroken Ipad can replace their work and personal computers.
For $500, the Ipad is not worth buying.
If you cannot jailbreak it then there is 0 reason to buy it.

You can do all the same things on android for less money, get built in hdmi/usb/sd, and get way more memory.
If I had to spend money I would buy an android over an Ipad. Also if anyone has info on an app that makes the ipad more useful post below.
--------------------------------
It looks like MS is sort of coming out with Office mobile for IOS and Android. It will only view and will do "basic" editing with a subscription.
This would be useless if it cannot do full excel macros.
It sounds like MS office on the ipad will be of the same use as the apple office programs.
»www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/36124···eenshots
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Interesting take on the iPad. I disagree with most of your points but I guess I knew what I was getting before I bought my iPad 2 as I've had an iPhone since shortly after the first iPhone was released.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

Im just saying how it is in terms of real utility not street cred. I dont care about the fashion aspect, only utility.
If there are things that can be done with other apps or without jailbreaking then post specifically which features/apps I am wrong about and how I can do those things differently on the ipad as I would like to know so it would help me and others.
All that matters is what you can do with it and how you do it.

I also have the Us+U Swivel case which is bad ass in terms of cases. »usplusu.com/store/cases-for-ipad···nd-three
It is worth the price for their ingenuity in their design. I use it all the time in the shop I work at to hold the ipad with one hand to take notes in sharepoint with filamente.

--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I never said anything about street cred or fashion so I have no idea where that came from.

I guess a better way to state what I was trying to say is that I'm willing to "compromise" or "workaround" limitations, in no small part because I was already heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem (per above re: iPhone).

For example, I use Google Docs when I have internet access and a generic document/notepad program when I don't. Once I have internet access, I email the generic document to my work account. I have never expected that the iPad would do full-fledged Excel editing - that's what notebooks/laptops are for.

I have a case/keyboard combo which makes typing a breeze; I don't find using the software keyboard cumbersome for short bits of typing.

I don't mind sync'ing to iTunes to manage my music/video/etc content but otherwise, no I don't use iTunes. You can also sync using Spotify (both wirelessly and via USB cable) but I have metadata issues with Spotify (it overrides my local data if it "finds" an online version which other folks might not mind).

Also for content, I generally stream more than I sync; between Spotify, iSub (for the subsonic server I host from home), Plex, Netflix, Hulu, etc I see no reason to spend a lot of time transferring files (by any method), though Plex does now support sync over wifi (and cell for that matter, IIRC).

Re: memory: most apps take very little memory, I have a 32GB iPad 2 and rarely run into memory issues (see above: re: streaming).

Again, I think it comes down to a) expectations and b) needs / personal preferences. Since getting my iPad it's rare that I open my laptop (in fact, when friends/family are in need, I loan it out for months at a time).
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

4 edits

1 recommendation

The ipad is expensive hardware.
It is fully capable of running programs like office, but Apple is not doing anything to help get full utility from the device. Why can't they make pages and numbers more like open office so it works much better with MS office?
It is also silly that you need to jailbreak to get the features that one would expect. For what you pay, why do they lock it down to limit its features?
My review is about making it as useful as possible and if you dont need MS office then it can actually replace a laptop (except for hardcore professional programs like 3d modeling, video/picture editing, etc) if you have a bunch of SD cards for storage.

I think people will read my review and appreciate the listing of what the Ipad can and cannot do as it can help them to decide if they will buy one.
I am using it everyday for work basically to update sharepoint and for emails while in our mfg shop.
It is also useful in meetings to pull up catalogs, documents and open pictures, excel files, and word files on our shared drive.
I have a large "engineering" grade laptop so a small ipad is much easier to carry around.
The last time I flew, I used the SD card and iFile to copy episodes of the walking dead and how the states got their shapes (that I legally recorded personally on my dvr) to the ipad. I watched them with VLC player. This is something you CANNOT do by default with the ipad, you need to jailbreak and install apps that apple is against.

Many older people are not computer savy, they dont use their computer for life, work, or entertainment.
My mom would be able to use the ipad as is for what she would do with it.
Facebook, some other websites, youtube, and netflix.

But there are much more things that the younger generation uses their computers for like what I have listed so for us, for an ipad to be useful it has to do these things or its just a toy for reading on the toilet.

The best thing Apple can do is let people install OSX onto the ipad, I would buy OSX if I could put it on the ipad
As soon as someone hacks it for win8 I will put it on, then I will have full utility needed.

I am just letting people know what it can and cannot do so they can make an informed decision about buying something.
It would suck to buy one and realize later it wont do what you want. I have not read any other reviews that explain how it can be used for both business and personal including jailbroken apps.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

The purpose of the ipad was a device which only ran signed software as a limited user, where they controlled the experience. For your average consumer it's fills most of their needs, but some people fell for the hipster advertising. It was never meant to be full computer, and if you have to hack a device, which jailbreaking is to make it useful it's already a pass, however I'm sure others could offer alternatives to jailbreaking even if those apps are not free.

You are not their target audience. Look at all the stooges knowingly, and unknowingly spending upwards of $600 every two years on an expansive smartphone if they realize the true cost is buried in their phone plan, or not. This is their target audience.

FYI WinRT, Win 8 for arm is nearly as limited as the ipad is by default.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to r81984

Thank you for a complete and useful review. I always thought ipad should be more like $300 for what it does. Apple always has a huge margin on their products. But fanboys buy them anyway. I'd probably get a $500 laptop or desktop instead, just personal thought.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

I would submit a tablet is not a computer regardless of the OS.

Most of the critique is you want a laptop.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

The purpose of the ipad was a device which only ran signed software as a limited user, where they controlled the experience. For your average consumer it's fills most of their needs, but some people fell for the hipster advertising. It was never meant to be full computer, and if you have to hack a device, which jailbreaking is to make it useful it's already a pass, however I'm sure others could offer alternatives to jailbreaking even if those apps are not free.

You are not their target audience. Look at all the stooges knowingly, and unknowingly spending upwards of $600 every two years on an expansive smartphone if they realize the true cost is buried in their phone plan, or not. This is their target audience.

FYI WinRT, Win 8 for arm is nearly as limited as the ipad is by default.

I am an average consumer.
As for winRT, yes you are right.
If you are going to buy something with windows 8 you need to make sure it is actually windows 8 and not the limited version of it. That is good advice.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

You are an enthusiast, you not the average consumer who barely browses the web, watches videos, mostly uses the internet to update their facebook and twitter, and might play some games like angry birds.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I would submit a tablet is not a computer regardless of the OS.

Most of the critique is you want a laptop.

The ipad is a tablet and it should do the simple not graphics/processor intensive things. That is what people buy them for.
I dont want a laptop, I want a small portable tablet.
A computer would be for high graphics/processor use items like compiling a program, 3d modeling software, video editing/converting, etc.
If the program has low graphics/processor usage then it should be made to work on a tablet.

Also, if you read my review its looks like I can use for everything I need except editing office docs so it looks like I only need a tablet not a laptop.
Many of the programs I listed were in the app store at one time, but Apple removed them after they saw it as a threat to their itunes garbage.
Apple wants you think it is a media device, but you cant actually play videos without jailbreaking and using VLC and you cant play music unless you buy a 3rd party app.
Even as a basic media device you must jailbreak, install iFile, install VLC, and buy the MP3 Player app for it work.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

You are an enthusiast, you not the average consumer who barely browses the web, watches videos, mostly uses the internet to update their facebook and twitter, and might play some games like angry birds.

If the average consumer only does what you state then they can buy ANY tablet and be happy, so there is 0 reason to buy one at $500 when you can do all those things equally as well on a $100 tablet.
Literally the HP touchpad I bought for $100 a year ago can do everything the ipad can do since cisco finally created a vpn app.

I am an "enthusiast" for using a tablet for work, email, tasks, viewing documents, sharepoint, downloading, accessing file shares, remote desktop, watching videos and listening to music on my ipad????
LOL, you are funny.
I am an average consumer.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to r81984

Re: [My Review] Ipad Review - Useful only if jailbroken

I found that any tablet is completely useless for work. In most cases, we try to make them behave like laptops (adding keyboards, desktop apps). In few places I seen them useful as a replacements for pad and pencil (and even there success is limited) or when specialty apps are created (with touch oriented design, not desktop)
--
Semper Fi

Expand your moderator at work