ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
reply to chapter_one

Re: So many tablets

I'll second the vote on Clovertrail based tablets, for 2 reasons:

1 - Not only do I work for Intel, I worked on Clovertrail. I think it is a very good product. Is it a segment winner, probably not, but it is very compelling.

2 - Windows 8. Yes, I know, many people think it sucks, but it's major advantage over iOS and Android is that pretty much all your legacy Windows apps will run (in the desktop mode). I think this is a big plus for a lot of people.

That being said, which vendor to buy from - up in the air. I like the Samsung products overall (especially if you get the Ativ with the keyboard) and I really like the upcoming HP Envy x2 with the keyboard as well. Neither of them come cheap however.

I also like the Kindle Fire HD devices. The 7" is a great size for occasional use. Kids love them....
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
said by ccallana:

2 - Windows 8. Yes, I know, many people think it sucks, but it's major advantage over iOS and Android is that pretty much all your legacy Windows apps will run (in the desktop mode). I think this is a big plus for a lot of people.

That being said, which vendor to buy from - up in the air. I like the Samsung products overall (especially if you get the Ativ with the keyboard) and I really like the upcoming HP Envy x2 with the keyboard as well. Neither of them come cheap however.

I also like the Kindle Fire HD devices. The 7" is a great size for occasional use. Kids love them....

I did notice Staples having the Surface with the keyboard thingy or cover, whatever it's called, available for $599. I'm going to really have to think about this more. I did see the Samsung ATVI with the keyboard and just happened to think, my sister-in-law works for HP . . . hmmmmmm??

Thanks ccallana and Hi from Turlock,
Ron

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
Be careful with the Surface - the standard Surface does *not* run Windows 8 - but Windows RT - which does not have the same advantage of being able to run legacy apps. The upcoming Surface Pro will, but you won't find it at the $599 price point I'm sure.

Most of the Windows 8 tablets are ~$800. You can find the Acer W510 for $499, but it is a stripped down version.

Hi from a few miles north!!
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
said by ccallana:

Be careful with the Surface - the standard Surface does *not* run Windows 8 - but Windows RT - which does not have the same advantage of being able to run legacy apps. The upcoming Surface Pro will, but you won't find it at the $599 price point I'm sure.

Rats!! That's what I just noticed elsewhere also. Maybe it would be just as convenient to go for a Kindle Fire now and wait for the Surface Pro to see what the pricing is for that.

OK, back to the drawing board.