spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Chasely
join:2012-12-28
Brea, CA

Chasely

[TWC] TWC vs Uverse in Orange County, CA

I am moving to a new house in orange county and I will get TV and internet service.
TWC offers 50/5mbps and Uverse offers only 24/3. I am a gamer myself and reliable/ low latency service is my top priority. Which one is better in Orange county area or just in general?

Thanks in advance.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Chasely:

I am moving to a new house in orange county and I will get TV and internet service.
TWC offers 50/5mbps and Uverse offers only 24/3. I am a gamer myself and reliable/ low latency service is my top priority. Which one is better in Orange county area or just in general?

Thanks in advance.

Ask the neighbors? Try both? Doesn't UVerse have caps?
dw3bb10
join:2008-11-01

dw3bb10 to Chasely

to Chasely
I'd go with TWC.
bshampine
join:2010-04-08
Gouverneur, NY

bshampine to Chasely

to Chasely
I'm currenty on the 30/5 and have nothing but problems gaming on xbox live. I'm on the direct forum getting help now and of coarse they want to go around my linksys router which I've already tryed. But good luck.

Mtnarea
@charter.com

Mtnarea

Anon

said by bshampine:

I'm currenty on the 30/5 and have nothing but problems gaming on xbox live. I'm on the direct forum getting help now and of coarse they want to go around my linksys router which I've already tryed. But good luck.

You're also in New York and not California. I can't speak for Orange County but Riverside County (more specifically Temecula) is rock solid since the DOCSIS 3 upgrade. Latency is perfect and better than I'd imagine U-Verse is.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Chasely

MVM

to Chasely
said by Chasely:

TWC offers 50/5mbps and Uverse offers only 24/3. I am a gamer myself and reliable/ low latency service is my top priority.

For gaming, speed isn't as critical as latency. In most cases, AT&T U-verse is delivered over copper from the node; for IPTV, using VDSL. AT&T uses an interleaved data path for VDSL, and will not put VDSL on a "Fast" data path (due to the requirements of IPTV data integrity). For this reason, AT&T will have higher latency than TWC.

I also have doubts about the ability to run TV over copper pair. Personally, I'd go with cable or satellite for TV service, in preference to VDSL/IPTV. For both gaming latency and TV picture quality, I would choose TWC over AT&T U-verse.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Chasely

Premium Member

to Chasely
U-verse VDSL uses a form of error correction called interleaving that adds around 12ms to your base gateway ping vs standard DSL. When I had u-verse, the lowest ping I could possibly get to an external server was around 23ms. My gateway pings on TWC are around 9ms. If low pings are what you want, TWC is probably the best option.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to Chasely

MVM

to Chasely
Time Warner. The fact that AT&T U-Verse has data limits and Interleaving enabled by default is enough reason to go there. Cable modem's the way to go in this case if the area doesn't have widespread congestion issues.