Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Bay Bridge lights

They are adding 25,000 LED lights to the SFO Bay Bridge to be turned on by March. Here is a simulated picture.
»www.mercurynews.com/portlet/arti···=4851086

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast

Much lower power consumption and a brighter light. I think it will look great at night.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

said by shinjuru:

Much lower power consumption and a brighter light. I think it will look great at night.

Also, and one of the most key benefits is the lower maintenance... lot less manpower hours replacing bulbs as often as they are doing it now.

The one thing they probably are not mentioning is the cost per bulb... as expensive as mainstream household LED bulbs are now... you can just imagine what a specialty need/application such as this AND a being a government customer will be getting hit for. Doesn't matter... it is like Solar installations at government properties... nobody cares how much it cost because it is the popular thing to do with federal subsidies making it even more tempting. Even though most will never make more money than they cost (from design to recycle)

$$$

--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
reply to Jtmo

$8M private donation artist's work.
2 year cost to light it, $11,000
Increased tourism on the Embarcadero, priceless.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

Just wait for next toll fee increase. It will come soon...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

steve1a
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA
reply to Jtmo

I think it is getting lost that this an artwork project:

THE BAY LIGHTS is an iconic public art installation created by internationally renowned artist Leo Villareal, with over 25,000 white energy-efficient LEDs on the Bay Bridge West Span.
This ever-changing, dazzling light sculpture will be 1.8 miles wide and 500 feet high – a monumental tour de force eight times the scale of the Eiffel Tower’s 100th Anniversary lighting.
It will impact an audience of over 50 million people in the Bay Area alone, with billions more seeing THE BAY LIGHTS in media and online over two years, starting with a Grand Lighting Ceremony on March 5, 2013.

»thebaylights.org

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jtmo

I'm not a fan of the Clark-Griswold-like adornment of the bridge structure, not since the first rendition. The understated original lighting or something similar, not overshadowing the form and function of the bridge architecture, is the better aesthetic.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Jtmo

It will no doubt look cool from afar:

vimeo.com/25870560

But what will it be like for a driver on the bridge? I can see people taking their eyes off the road, people getting startled, etc.

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA

You can't see it from the roadway, that was one of the conditions. Even the Bay Pilots had to sign off that they would not sail a ship into the bridge like they already have.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

How? Are the LEDs only facing outward?

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

said by Wily_One:

How? Are the LEDs only facing outward?

yep

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

Then no problem!

Jammy
ja'Krinda
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jtmo

said by Jtmo:

They are adding 25,000 LED lights to the SFO Bay Bridge to be turned on by March.

When the lights go down in the city,
and the sun shines on the bay,
do i want to be there,
in my city,
ohoh ohohoh ohoh

So you said your lonely
well my friend i'm lonely too
i want to get back, to my city
by the rain, ohoh ohohoh ohoh

its sad ohh,
theres been morings
out of the world without you,