how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to JNagarya

Re: Crooked business practices

Hmm... My response didn't post for some reason? Either pc is caching the page or what the heck happened.

Well a quick rewrite as it's late.

Technology is relative to the generation. People of the early 1900's were amazed by the advent of photography, industrial age, the radio, and television. All forms of these technologies while existing in their basic forms are far from representative of their original design. If you took a person from 1940's and stuck them in 2012/2013, they'd be at a loss.

How can a camera be the size of a pinhole? A television project 3d? A radio be portable? For these folks, black and white television, a Victrola, rudimentary automobiles, etc were the norm.

My point? Growing up with a specific technology doesn't guarantee one stays abreast or had access. There is always a segment, and while narrowing as generations become more tech savvy, that are scared of change. Usually, folks 50-60 plus are where you begin to see the "I might break it" attitude.

Yes, you are an exception to the norm. Your generation of the 50-70 has a wide variance between those who fear and those that embrace.

I'm 30 and people my demographic didn't own home computers either. The U.S. census listed 2000 as the first time 50 percent of Americans owned a computer and 2001 as the first time internet surpassed 50 percent, too. All and all, I didn't own a real personal computer until 1998. I had an Atari 800 as a kid, but played games versus any computing power. Good old 5.25's.

I give Kudos to knowing dos. Dos is the foundation of operating systems as is Unix. I know basic dos from courses I took in school. I don't remember much as I'm not much of a command line fan. Linux skills are on a need to know basis, too.

That being said, duplicating skills and technology isn't the problem. Having modern versions of an item is still crucial. You telling me that a 20 year old cell phone weighing 5 pounds and resembling a Walkie Talkie is still relevant? Times change and so do early adopters. If you don't keep up, you do lose the skills.