how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tsaukpaetra

join:2012-12-29
Chandler, AZ

VDSL Manual Sync?

I have heard that it is possible to obtain synchronization with (very) old SDSL Modems by merely hooking the two up together with and RJ-11 ended cord, but it seems that the maximum bitrate for that was around 1 Mbps.
With today's VDSL technology, bandwidth is shifted so that more effort is put into the downstream direction, but apparently this breaks the feature of DSLAM-less sync.
My question is this: Is it possible to configure a VDSL Modem in such a way that the connection parameters would be reversed (i.e. the Downstream would be limited to 1.5 Mbps and the Upstream would be at 12 Mbps) in order to obtain sync?
I ask because I would like to use my phone wiring to bridge out my (cable-modem powered) internet from opposing ends of the house where Wifi connectivity is unobtainable through normal means, while also avoiding the hefty bill associated with wiring the house for Ethernet. This seems like it would be an elegant solution if it could be done.
Any thoughts?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
»www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

Look into power line networking to deploy your network

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to Tsaukpaetra
Welcome to BBR

That was possible with some net-to-net modems but I don't think it is possible with ADSL or VDSL as they are master/slave and most of the heavy lifting is done by the DSLAM. There are symmetric VDSL options but you still need a DSLAM.

When you say hook them up with an RJ-11 what exactly do you mean? Is your desire to use the existing phone line to extend the connection or do you need to install new cable. If the later not much difference running phone wiring then running Ethernet wiring.

If you want to use existing phone line may want to check out Home PNA for gear that uses existing phone wiring.
»www.homepna.org/

If you have TV coax between both locations may want to check out MOCA
»www.mocalliance.org/

/tom

Tsaukpaetra

join:2012-12-29
Chandler, AZ
Thank you for your response!
said by tschmidt:

When you say hook them up with an RJ-11 what exactly do you mean? Is your desire to use the existing phone line to extend the connection or do you need to install new cable. If the later not much difference running phone wiring then running Ethernet wiring.

I was hoping not to need to install new wiring, but the powerline networking option seems plausible now too.
Thing is, I don't need much more than 10-20 mbps, and all of the popular products listed on the post about amazon are quite pricey to get 300 or 500 mbps (The location is to be a kids bedroom for internet terminals) so it's not like I'm going to be streaming multiple HD videos all over.
The Asoka PlugLink 9650 85Mbps HomePlug Powerline Ethernet Adapter
Seems like a possible solution, I think I'll try that.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
»www.newegg.com/Powerline-Network···er=PRICE

6 options in the 30-40 dollar range