how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
reply to jaynick

Re: [Bill] Is anybody else's HSI going up?

Jaynick I believe WOW is in your area. For Comcast, WOW is direct competition for them so they keep the prices for comparable services at a comparable price. For the vast majority of Americans there are usually 2 options for wired internet service into the home, either your local telco (AT&T, Verizon, CentruyLink etc.) or your local cable provider (Comcast, Time Warner, Cox etc.) The price of getting that broadband signal into your house is going down. However the price of the manpower to deliver the signal to your home is going up. Employees of the big communication companies aren't making minimum wage, in fact some are living very well. Also keep in mind that when you receive the poor customer service over the phone it doesn't go unnoticed. I once was a tech at a large cable provider, I used to see first hand the revolving door of call center reps being hired, quitting or fired because of what they tell customers over the phone or not meeting sales quotas. The expense of hiring and training isn't cheap. When the new employees are hired they are getting paid as they go through training. Also think of the tech that comes to your home to install or make repairs on your service. Just to send that tech out is about $300 per truck roll. Don't let the tech do a lousy job, the next tech that has to come out is usually a senior tech making double of what the first tech was making, so that increases the overhead also. Let's not forget these people working for these companies are getting their services free or at a huge discount so they could care less if the price goes up, in fact they should be happy when the prices goes up because their paychecks go up.

I may be preaching the choir but the local monopolies that deliver TV, cable, and broadband services to our homes are getting away with highway robbery, why, because we continue to pay these higher prices for the crappy service we get. I for one will never allow the cable company I used to work for into my home because they provide such horrible customer service, and the reason I was terminated was bogus. A big part of the lack of competition for providers is your local franchise authority and the FCC. They are the ones who say what company can be in what area. In the 21st century TV, cable, internet can be delivered to the home via coax cable or through the telephone line. The only way to change this is to write our elected officials and let them know we need more options for internet and phone providers in our area. The US is the country that invented internet but we are near the bottom of the list of industrialized countries in terms of speeds we get but we are paying some of the highest prices for broadband per month. Countries in Europe and Asia have multiple providers that deliver fiber optic services to homes, people have a choice and they don't receive crappy service like we get here in the US. I could go on forever but I know someone has a rebuttal so let me know what's on your mind.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by nrobot80:

Jaynick I believe WOW is in your area. For Comcast, WOW is direct competition for them so they keep the prices for comparable services at a comparable price.

WOW is in my area. I recently called Comcast to get them to match WOW, and they did. I was totally prepared to leave Comcast for WOW, but now I'm saving $40/month without the hassle of switching providers. The catch is that I have to call back every six months.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to nrobot80

Click for full size
said by nrobot80:

Jaynick I believe WOW is in your area.

In my part of town I have no choices but Comcast or ATT DSL 1.5x384. No WoW here or dish or UVerse or anything else. Comcast around here has no competition whatsoever.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Click for full size
I'm in the same boat as you. My only choice is Comcast or Windstream DSL.

My present invoice shows 29.99 (Promotion/6months), but my normal offering is shown above.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Not yet, but I still have a year left on my original contract.

All business class HSI only customers who are past their original contract period just recently had their monthly fee increased by $10.00 per month: »business.comcast.com/smb/bcichanges

I just checked my Comcast business bill. Still $59.95 per month for the period between mid December to mid January.

Maybe the next bill will have the increase. So far, I'm glad not to have to pay more. A $10 per month increase wouldn't be so bad.

I provide my own modem, maybe that counts as an "extra service"??
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Johkal

We did get D3 a few months back. But of course no one sees that unless they have a D3 modem which Comcast doesn't just hand out. You have to get your own.
I haven't been able to figure that out. Guess they have to run out of the standard ones first.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
reply to RR Conductor

I don't think the prices would be so bad if they didn't jerk you for not having cable TV..

No cable TV so I have to pay close to 80 bucks for internet starting in Jan, but if I had cable TV it would be closer to 60...

And they claim they are not being anti-competitive with cord cutters. ha!

Yes the cost of upgrades has to cost them money and so does man power but guess what, I call BS on it all.

For starts, man power need is going down.
That was the excuse they gave the FCC to allow them to digitally encrypt ALL channels. Less techs needed to connect/disconnect users as they all get left hooked up now because no box = no channels. Now it's all handled remotely and automated. The encryption technology was already in use for other channels so no new hardware was needed for them to do this but they saved an a** load of money on man power cut down. Also saved on hardware because now filters are no longer needed to block channels. Guess what though, new customers often still get hit with a service or setup fee lol

Bandwidth upgrades? well yeah they have to keep equipment upgraded but at the rate they do it not like it matters, upgrading an CMTS hardware once every 5+ years doesn't hurt them. You know why? because with the high profit margin built into the already high cost for service they are already covering that, so in the end they have no true excuse to jack prices up saying it's done to keep things up to date and current due to costs etc.. Cost of hardware going down, cost of bandwidth going down, man power use going down. Prices, going up.

How can a company claim they have to raise prices to help provide the latest service and quality/speed etc when the execs are making record new profits every year? No problem being rich but wtf, you can't possibly spend all the money you have so why be greedy for more?

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

I'm in the same boat as you. My only choice is Comcast or Windstream DSL.

My present invoice shows 29.99 (Promotion/6months), but my normal offering is shown above.

At least you're in an area that got the speed bump. I'm paying more than that for less than half the speed. It's depressing how expensive for the speed it is compared to a lot of other areas...

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to AnonMan

said by AnonMan :

I don't think the prices would be so bad if they didn't jerk you for not having cable TV..

I agree! Before Comcast took over from Adelphia (who went bankrupt, and got split up between Comcast and Time Warner) here in Mendocino County, you got charged the same for HSI, regardless of whether you had Cable TV or not. We have Directv for our tv service, it's just a much better product here than Comcast's Digital Cable, at least for us.
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to wTheOnew

My area is fortunate to be fed by State College, PA which gets all the bells & whistles & has the option of Verizon FiOS. That is why we get upgraded quickly, but unfortunately Verizon ends just about 5 miles down the road from me.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

DSL just became available at our place this summer from AT&T, but it's the slowest package they have, 768 Kbps, not even worth the 20 bucks they want for it. There are a couple of WISP's here too, but we can't see their sites due to forest cover and hills in the way, they're kinda pricey anyway. Then there's satellite HSI, but that's expensive and has those HORRIBLE FAP's, it's really just an option for those that can't get anything else. I think Comcast knows they have a stranglehold on good, fast broadband out here, and takes full advantage of the fact to keep prices high.
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

DSL in your area is pitiful. I just checked the Windstream offerings and have the following:

3Mbps - 47.99 w/phone - 49.99
6Mbps - 49.99 w/phone - 51.99
12Mbps - 52.99 w/phone - 54.99

Not so bad.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

said by camper:

I just got a new bill. My HSI is going up over 6%.

I think you may want to check your math, or figure things out again.

New price: $51.95
Old price: 48.95

Percent increase: 6.13%

My math is fine.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jaynick

Click for full size
Be prepared...it was 58.95 but next month it's 61.95.
And we're still half as fast as the northeast...

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
reply to RR Conductor

What is interesting about these rate increases is that Comcast's earnings per share increased over 130% this past quarter.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to camper

Yup, you are correct. I apologize for saying your math was wrong.

Did not think that a 3 dollar increase would equate to 6.13%, but it does!

--Brian

outatyme

join:2006-10-05
Tallahassee, FL

1 edit
reply to RR Conductor

My Bill in Tallahassee, FL went from $54.95/mo to $74.95/mo starting 01/2013 for blast! 25/5 service (no cable/voice).
Would be fine with this price if they would push through the 50/10 / 50/15 upgrade but otherwise I cannot see why I am incurring a $20/mo ($240/yr) (27%) price increase....

Subnote: They should also increase the usage cap by a ratio to the provisioned speed... so markets with 50/10 / 50/15 blast should get more cap since they can eat more bandwidth in the same amount of time.

Seeley

join:2009-01-31
Eatontown, NJ
reply to RR Conductor

Self-serving GREED is the obvious answer. They can raise the rates with no remorse.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Seeley:

Self-serving GREED is the obvious answer. They can raise the rates with no remorse.

And what about the oil companies, gas, power, Telco, Auto, groceries etc. ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

2 edits

1 recommendation

Agreed!

Here's an example:
In 1980 I paid $7000 for a new Z28 Camaro
Minimum wage was $3.35

2012 Camaro moderately priced is $35000

Percentage 1980 to 2012 is 5x

So according to this, minimum wage should be $16.75 (Don't we wish)

Hmmm......Cable doesn't seem so bad compared to this.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

Exactly!
Actually when I first got Blast it was 16/2 for $62.95 then for some reason it went down to $58.95, then we got upgraded to D3, 25/4 provisioned. So if in February I get an increase, I don't think it will be that painful.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

DSL in your area is pitiful. I just checked the Windstream offerings and have the following:

3Mbps - 47.99 w/phone - 49.99
6Mbps - 49.99 w/phone - 51.99
12Mbps - 52.99 w/phone - 54.99

Not so bad.

Lol Yeah, true AT&T does have a lot faster DSL via UVerse in Ukiah, Willits, etc, but we're too far from the CO (located in Calpella, only about 2 physical miles from our house, but 20,000+ cable feet), which is why we are only being offered the lowest tier, I am betting they finally put in Remote Terminal's around us last summer, otherwise we still wouldn't have DSL available.
--

tony4

@comcast.net
reply to RR Conductor

A 9.0% increase on my bill this month...ROFL. Just hung up from CS and told them to pull the plug(cable cut) on the TV side....that's just to start with.