uniqs
share rss forum feed

dauthiatull
Premium
join:2003-08-06
Toronto, ON
reply to Larliand

Re: I got hacked

what chat window? what app were you using that he opened an new chat window.
--
a birth certificate is also proof of death, eventually

mousepad123

join:2012-12-29

1 recommendation

reply to Larliand
Woah, woah, woah. Everyone calm down. Don't go format crazy just yet. First, you need to find out everything you can about him. Do you notice your desktop background changing to black when he types? How about any desktop resolution changing (screen getting bigger or smaller)? If so, he could just be using a version of Symantec pcAnywhere, VNC Viewer, or just Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. All three types of remote software are bad, because they have large vulnerabilities (the first thing I do when I pen test for companies is test for the MS12-020 vulnerability, a vulnerability Microsoft made a patch for. It allows remote code to DDOS and crash a remote system with as little as 240 bytes of code). Anyway, go download a copy of HijackThis and paste the log on here. Another thing, which version of Windows are you using?
--
Jon Vincent
Network/IT Administrator
Ghost Planet Services

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

1 recommendation

said by mousepad123:

Woah, woah, woah. Everyone calm down. Don't go format crazy just yet.

too late:

said by Larliand:

Nah, I formated and installed fresh OS just got malwarebyte pro and scanned with it, it didn't find anything anymore. I think it's clean now.

--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

mousepad123

join:2012-12-29
Well, I hope you have a recent backup (I've been caught several times without one, on the same day that my hard disk decides to just die on me for no particular reason). Make sure you get some other protection too. I recommend AVG Anti-Virus. Even the free version does it's job like it should. Quick question, where did you get that MS-DOS file from? I'd like to know so I can make a request to have the website it came from marked as unsafe.
--
Jon Vincent
Network/IT Administrator
Ghost Planet Services

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Larliand
Lets not forget that the router password could have been compromised too, which means more than Windows, IMO.

Bottom line is, you don't sound like you know computers or the Internet all that well, which means people who do can get ya.

Unless you have layers of security (firewall, router, a/v, etc.) to prevent it:

* Always use a hardware router w/ a firewall
* Don't download and click everything you see.
* Use a safer browser like Firefox with Adblock and NoScript add-ons.
* Keep your OS and software up to date.
* don't trust everything on the Internet
* get backup software and a external USB drive, only connect it when you make a backup. That way it can't be infected.

GL...

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to mousepad123
He also said he doesn't have any backups.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

... a external USB drive, only connect it when you make a backup. That way it can't be infected.

why do you say this?
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

johnq2
Johnq2

join:2002-10-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to Larliand
Unless you format, files that were saved under the suspect OS can remain on the disk, ready to be activated. You have to copy all your user files to another media. Make sure to copy all drivers. Verify your copied data before you format the new OS partition and do a thorough malware scan on all the copies, preferably on hen another secured computer.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by caffeinator:

... a external USB drive, only connect it when you make a backup. That way it can't be infected.

why do you say this?

Because, if you can be reasonable sure that you are clean when you are going to backup your files, back them up, and then don't leave it connected. How can it get infected?

Put simply, if you never know if you're infected or not, then you're better off with a nuke and pave about once a month.

--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
If your system is infected, what assurances do you have that an external usb device won't get infected when you plug it in?
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

None, but I guess the idea is to cut down on the chance of cross infection.

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

If your system is infected, what assurances do you have that an external usb device won't get infected when you plug it in?

If your system is infected, why would anyone plug in any external storage devices with the infected OS running? Of course they'd be infected. The point is to have a clean backup so you don't have to start from nothing.

If everything is infected, you're just screwed.

You're telling me you don't use any kind of backup?
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Larliand
A "backup" is what many users finally start making only after they discover they desperately need it - but had never made one before the disaster occurred.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

dj07

join:2012-10-22
reply to Larliand
That’s great. Keep scanning your computer weekly for your security.