share rss forum feed

kamin

join:2003-03-30
Puyallup, WA
reply to cdru

Re: ungrounded wall outlets

said by cdru:

said by bobrk:

Of course, that only works if the box is grounded somewhere, which most K&T boxes aren't.

I'd take an outlet plate off and see what's what behind it. I've replaced several switches in my house (built in '79) where the switch was never grounded, despite having a ground screw. The ground wire from the NM cable was just folded up and sat in the back of the outlet box unused.

My sister's house also had several outlet boxes where the outlets were 2 plugs, but there was a grounding wire clipped to the metal box. There was no reason that a grounded outlet couldn't have been installed.

Oh, halfassing jobs... I had something similar a couple years ago when my mom inherited my grandma's house. I went to install GFCI's and change out a couple "loose" outlets, and came to find that 90% of the 3 prong outlets were not grounded, even though every box had proper grounding wires in them (the ground was not hooked into the boxes either). Only ones with the ground hooked up to the plugs was at the end of a circuit. House was built in 1966.

So, a quick job turned into redoing every outlet and switch in the entire house, which honestly wasn't in vain since I found some aging backstabbed connections (grandma did complain of flickering but never wanted me to fix it). At least all the wire was copper!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by kamin:

At least all the wire was copper!

1966 House.
A lot of things were only copper
Drain stacks, water pipes, you name it! COPPER GOLD MINE!

However, you got unlucky that a 1966 has no ground for the receptacles. My 1964 house was wired with copper romex with ground.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by alkizmo:

said by kamin:

1966 House.

However, you got unlucky that a 1966 has no ground for the receptacles. My 1964 house was wired with copper romex with ground.

My last house was built in '61. It had copper romex with ground to each outlet box -- but not the outlets themselves.

I replaced all those receptacles with 3-prong ones and a pigtail to the box ground. I was so glad that the ground was actually there .... Made the 2-to-3 prong upgrade cake.

kamin

Puyallup, WA
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by kamin:

1966 House.

Cast iron water pipes, sadly. Those were abandoned for aquapex a few years ago. If it was copper I'd be crawling under there and removing what was left!

The ground for the receptacles is there and functioning, it was that when the original electrician who wired the house never bothered to pigtail from the bare grounds in the receptacle boxes to the 3 prong outlets or to the box itself. So for years, most of the things that were thought to be grounded weren't. Definitely not legal now to do that, and, I have doubts that it was legal to that in 1966.

kamin

Puyallup, WA
reply to dennismurphy

Looks like we both got lucky to not have to rewire!