Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Is there a flat rate cancellation fee for mobile contracts?

I thought that I heard that the Government has forced mobile company's to stop their ridiculous cancellation fees and switch to a fixed amount.

Is this true?

Thanks.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

join:2012-12-24
said by RobThompson:

I thought that I heard that the Government has forced mobile company's to stop their ridiculous cancellation fees and switch to a fixed amount.

Is this true?

Thanks.

You heard wrong. They are working on such things but no laws yet. Likely 2-4 years away the way things work.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to RobThompson
Also, it's unlikely to be a flat rate system. Will be pretty much Rogers and Telus has right now, where you pay back any subsidies you received.

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON
I know telus does this, They divide the subsidies by the number of months your contract is, for me it was something like $400 and my contract is 4 years so every month I loose about $11.00 from my cancellation fee.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to RobThompson
They have changed it, and it depends on when you signed your contract. Whatever the case, they are still allowed to get their economic recovery from you -- for example, if you get a $699 iPhone 5 for $199, they're out $500....so if you cancelled after one month, they'd credit you 1/36 of that $500 plus a couple other fee's. Otherwise, it's $20 per month voice, max $400, and $10 per month data, max $100.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein