share rss forum feed

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Is there a flat rate cancellation fee for mobile contracts?

I thought that I heard that the Government has forced mobile company's to stop their ridiculous cancellation fees and switch to a fixed amount.

Is this true?

Thanks.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

join:2012-12-24

said by RobThompson:

I thought that I heard that the Government has forced mobile company's to stop their ridiculous cancellation fees and switch to a fixed amount.

Is this true?

Thanks.

You heard wrong. They are working on such things but no laws yet. Likely 2-4 years away the way things work.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to RobThompson

Also, it's unlikely to be a flat rate system. Will be pretty much Rogers and Telus has right now, where you pay back any subsidies you received.

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

I know telus does this, They divide the subsidies by the number of months your contract is, for me it was something like $400 and my contract is 4 years so every month I loose about $11.00 from my cancellation fee.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to RobThompson

They have changed it, and it depends on when you signed your contract. Whatever the case, they are still allowed to get their economic recovery from you -- for example, if you get a $699 iPhone 5 for $199, they're out $500....so if you cancelled after one month, they'd credit you 1/36 of that $500 plus a couple other fee's. Otherwise, it's $20 per month voice, max $400, and $10 per month data, max $100.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein