Any comments on this software?

Ruth

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Unnecessary to put it nicely, I consider it to be a virus.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Ruth Larish

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

1 edit
reply to Ruth Larish
»www.cultofmac.com/170522/is-mack···-a-scam/

You'll have to decide for yourself but in the last 6 years that I've been using my Mac I have never had to use any of these types of programs.
I have tested them and most of them are crap and some caused problems instead of fixing problems.

redhat1968

join:2000-10-17
Appleton, WI
reply to not quite right
"Unnecessary to put it nicely, I consider it to be a virus."

exactly

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to Ruth Larish
I'd be more blunt.......

Pain in the arse......ZeoBit...and Mackeeper popups seem to be everywhere........bloody everywhere, and thats a sure way to get me to NEV ER buy the product, even if Macs WERE more acceptable to Virus'.....( Viri?????)......and as for cleaning my Mac.........well, a quick Macupdate search will get you quite a few 'Free' System Utility's that will clean User caches, rebuild Launchservices, repair permissions etc ( though Diskutility will do quite a decent job all on it's own)

I agree.......in over 15 years of mac use, I think I ONCE had some kind of 'Trojan'......in the OS8 days!!!!!.......since then....nada, nuthin, nowt,.................

EDIT: I'll run ClamX AV once in a rare Blue moon, just for peace of mind................:)......when I feeling Paranoid, and wearing my Tinfoil hat!!!!!!

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
reply to Ruth Larish
"...and Mackeeper popups seem to be everywhere........bloody everywhere, and thats a sure way to get me to NEV ER buy the product"

Agree
I am still boycotting Netflix for same reason - I got sick of their constant pop unders

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
Ahhh, but.....NetFix......has Doctor Who.....at least it's semi useful!!!!!!!

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to kerriskandie
said by kerriskandie:

I agree.......in over 15 years of mac use, I think I ONCE had some kind of 'Trojan'......in the OS8 days!!!!!.......since then....nada, nuthin, nowt,.................

MDEF, CDEF, nVIR, Disinfectant...ah, the memories.

In MacOS 9, I got a virus called Sevendust. Easy to spot and also easy to remove. That was the LAST time running into a Mac virus. Never had to use anti-virus again.

I did buy Virex (when McAfee bought the rights) about 10 years ago, when there was a possible new threat of Mac viruses. After one year of using it, McAfee bugged me to pay FULL price for another year of app updates and virus definitions. Since I did not see one virus pass through my system, I immediately erased it. That was the last time I ever used anti-virus on my Mac.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
I miss the extension strip............forerunner of the Dock????? , oh what pretty coloured icons you could add to it!!!!!

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
reply to kerriskandie
said by kerriskandie:

Ahhh, but.....NetFix......has Doctor Who.....at least it's semi useful!!!!!!!

Ditto!
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY

1 recommendation

Souffle perhaps.............?????

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to kerriskandie
Click for full size
MacOS 9 GUI
said by kerriskandie:

I miss the extension strip............forerunner of the Dock????? , oh what pretty coloured icons you could add to it!!!!!

Actually, wouldn't the Control Strip be the precursor to the Dock? You can relocate it to the left or right, at any height, and it was collapsable (like turning on Hiding for the Dock).

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
reply to Ruth Larish
Of course I MEANT the Control strip!!!!!!

kerriskandie

Coram, NY
Sherlock.....he was short lived!!!!!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Ruth Larish
If you're bent on keeping the Mac clean, ccleaner is available for Mac. It's free. It's not a spyware or virus checker.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Ruth Larish
Another app you can look at is OnyX »www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx I've used it many times on my iMacs with no problems. I've noticed improvements in speed most times. Of course, use at your own risk.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
reply to Ruth Larish
I started with OS 9 when Windows software bollixed my PC. I've never looked back and never had a virus I was aware of, yet.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Sebehk
Click for full size
Nextstep 1.0
The dock came from Jobs' NeXTSTEP which predates System 7.5 (which I think introed the control strip) by about 5 or 6 years.

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to Ruth Larish
If you like experimenting, install MacKeeper and watch how much the CPU gets bogged down with unnecessary and (frankly) suspicious activity. It is like tying an anchor to your OS.

And while we are talking old technologies, I still remember the buzz that I experienced when first using Andy Herzfield's Switcher utility. It was amazing!
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6