Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to chapter_one

Re: So many tablets

A comment about my own tablet experience:

Over a year ago I bought, off eBay, an original Nook (black and white with tiny color screen for navigation), and tried hacking it to very limited success and it almost got bricked (I had to find an exotic I found after a LOT of google searching, it is now no longer hacked). Viewing PDFs is a no go, and I have a LOT of PDFs, educational stuff, and I can't use them. Such PDF books have illustrations and insets that will not view on the tablet. And viewing PDFs WAS the reason I got the thing. I am very unhappy with it and plan on putting books on it and sending it to my kid in Cebu and getting another tablet that WILL make viewing PDFs effective.

I find the 7" screen a problem, I'd rather have an 8", but not a 10", because of PDFs.

My BIL and I searched and found an almost ideal tablet, a Samsung, for my early teen nephew, it is a 7 inch unit with an older Droid on it.

It is my impression that once they put a version of Android on a tablet, you don't upgrade to a newer version?

For me, the important things are:

How many formats of books can I view, and view properly?

How many and which apps can I install?

How well can I surf the web via wifi, and will WPA2 work, or am I stuck with WEP?

Will the battery last at least 6 hours of reading?

Does it take a MicroSD card, and how high a capacity?

Which Android OS and can it be upgraded?

Is the build quality so bad it will physically break?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

chapter_one

join:2002-02-16
Pebble Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Comcast
said by signmeuptoo:

For me, the important things are:

How many formats of books can I view, and view properly?
How many and which apps can I install?
How well can I surf the web via wifi, and will WPA2 work, or am I stuck with WEP?
Will the battery last at least 6 hours of reading?
Does it take a MicroSD card, and how high a capacity?
Which Android OS and can it be upgraded?
Is the build quality so bad it will physically break?

Ah . . . a bunch of good points. My list is getting pretty long now. I think that I'm just going to sit back, take a breath and go look up reviews and try to digest everything that I've read from everyone here.

Thanks, signmeuptoo

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

It is my impression that once they put a version of Android on a tablet, you don't upgrade to a newer version?

As a general rule of thumb, upgrading one from one minor version to the next (i.e. 2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3 ) should be easily doable as long as the manufacturer will make the code available. The reality is that that they may not bother, especially in case of no-name tablets.

Upgrading from one major version to the next (i.e. 2.3 to 3.1) is trickier because the HW requirements are likely to be somewhat higher -- sometimes it may be doable, other times it may be plain impossible, especially in case of cheap, barebone tablets. And even if it's doable, the manufacturer is less likely to do that, though since it's open source, users are free to create their own versions.

Jumping two major versions (i.e 2.2 to 4.0) is even more trickier, and I can't think of any tablet where the manufacturer would do anything like that. But as before, users are free to try, although HW limitations (i.e. memory) are likely to be a major roadblock.
--
Wacky Races 2012!