Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Hardwood floor storage question

Shortly the rough in's for my addition will be complete. The square footage added is about 1,500. My builder is suggesting a purchase of 1,800 sq ft of hardwood flooring. In addition to the new area, there is an older area of the house with wall to wall carpeting. It's about 1,000 sq ft.

I'm not going to be ready to replace most of the carpet in the legacy house with hardwood. I'm concerned getting matching per-finished hardwood floors in the future won't be possible.

If I ordered an extra 1,200 sq ft of hardwood floor, can it be stored for a few years in an unheated attic, or does it require some sort of more stable climate?? The attic is always dry, but temperature does range considerably over the year.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

I wouldn't store any wood in an attic. You don't really have to worry about temperature range. What you need to take into account are moisture, ventilation and flat surface.

Even though your attic appears dry it's not. The humidity levels fluctuate significantly in a non-climate controlled attic. That alone is reason enough to rule out attic storage, not to mention proper ventilation.

--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pandora

Talk to a floor pro and if you know who it is, the wholesale supplier there in Outland, and the manufacturer, about it. Conditions vary a lot regionally.

I have a conditioned knee wall space where I store my "spare" unfinished oak flooring and some finished trim, maybe a few hundred linear feet. But I wouldn't purchase and store that much of a commodity without an endorsement from somebody who's done it or worked with it after it's been in those conditions for that long.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to pandora

Don't put it in the attic. It may make it or it may not. But you take the chance of the boards permanently becoming warped in some direction or another. As was mentioned earlier, it's the moisture/humidity not the temperature that's really at issue.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to pandora

As mentioned, the attic is not a good choice of storage location. The heat is extreme in summer.
I stored maple floor for 18 months in the garage. It was shrink wrapped to stabilize the moisture content from the summer humidity and winter dryness.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to pandora

If you must purchase it early as you described, you should consider renting off site indoor conditioned storage at a storage facility to store until ready to use it. It is way too expensive to mistreat with unconditioned storage.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to pandora

If your basement is not too humid, it could do.
The temperature in a basement is typically very stable throughout the year. Humidity level can be managed with a dehumidifier and proper packaging of said wood.

Renting a self-storage might be a bit overkill. I think the smallest units in conditioned spaces run around 150$ a month.

Anyway: Attic is no go. Too hot and humid in summer, too cold in winter.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by alkizmo:

Renting a self-storage might be a bit overkill. I think the smallest units in conditioned spaces run around 150$ a month.

US-CAD exchange rate must suck these days. Around here, a 5'x5' climate controlled storage closet will run you as little as about $25. Larger sizes available for proportionally more.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

But what a pain storing it on an off-site location would be. 50-60 boxes to cart to two different places.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

reply to pandora

I think the OP should just put it in his box.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

US-CAD exchange rate must suck these days. Around here, a 5'x5' climate controlled storage closet will run you as little as about $25. Larger sizes available for proportionally more.

ACtually it's pretty much 1:1, but the retailers still get to gouge us.
I guess for the storage it depends of what is around. Here I don't see anything that's 5x5, especially for 25$. The 150$ was for a 10x10, and it depends of the location too (Just like apartment rental).

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Cho Baka

Might not be able to get the lid closed, though.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
reply to alkizmo

Checking just one facility that I have used within the last year, a 5x5 foot climate controlled room runs $55 or more depending on floor level (elevator required or not). A 5x10 starts at $73.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to pandora

Attic storage of anything is not a good idea. It is not built for it and can be damaged. I know a lot of people do it. It is still wrong, unless it was designed for it and has a floor. I this case you are talking about a considerable weight. No no no.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007