spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to nunya

to nunya

Re: ungrounded wall outlets

Yeah, just to confirm, the CEC has the same rule allowing GFCI to replace 2-prong receptacles.
quote:
26-700
(8) Notwithstanding Subrule (7), at existing outlets where a grounding means does not exist in the receptacle
enclosure, grounding-type receptacles without a bonding conductor shall be permitted to be installed,
provided that each receptacle is
(a) protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type that is an integral part of this
receptacle;
(b) supplied from a receptacle containing a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type; or
(c) supplied from a circuit protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A type.
Bob Anderson
join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON

Bob Anderson

OK, thanks everyone. Not much I can do about this in a tenant landlord situation.

-Bob

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by Bob Anderson:

Not much I can do about this in a tenant landlord situation.

1.) You could mention the unsafe situation of ungrounded 3-prong outlets to your landlord. Some do take reported safety issues serious (because of the associated liability for them) and will take steps to improve the situation (which of course includes the possibility that they turn it back into a 2-prong outlet).

2.) You could (at your own expense) replace those outlets with GFCI receptacles which makes them code compliant and safe for the occupants of that apartment (as mentioned before it does nothing for equipment that relies on ground for other purposes).

This is what I have done in rental situations before.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Bob Anderson

to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

OK, thanks everyone. Not much I can do about this in a tenant landlord situation.

Yes you can. 3-prong receptacles without utility ground conductor was NEVER allowed in the code (so no grandfathering).

You can state that you are aware that there is a hazardous code violation regarding the 3-prong receptacles and inform him of his OBLIGATORY options: 2-prong replacement, or GFCIs or new wiring. Show it as a "favor" that you worry FOR HIM that someone in other units could get shocked/electrocuted (different meanings i know) and he'd be on the line for liability.