Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

TW Usage Meter Accuracy

Click for full size
Greetings

Just took a peek at my TW account and noticed my usage indicator.. Says I am currently at 99Gigs so far this month.

I looked at my DD-WRT router wan usage and it shows a lower number - hmmmmm who to believe

They are either combining input/output bytes (incorrectly) or they are over counting inbound..

Either way - their numbers are wrong and you can bet eventually they will use these numbers to bill us......
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
Click for full size
12/2012
Wow, it finally showed up in my old account. It seems to have started on 12/4/2012 (nothing before it). It says my account used 80 GB already. My old Linksys WRT54GL, with its stock firmware, doesn't tell me how much I have used. Assuming it is correct (doubt it), peak usages are during weekends from the family being at home and online a lot especially during the holidays. I am such a pipe hog. Heh.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
·Dish Network
Click for full size
lol well mine is 234GB and counting. Not sure if mine is accurate

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by dragonman300:

lol well mine is 234GB and counting. Not sure if mine is accurate

Wow, that is high. Do you guys really use that much? LOL!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

They are either combining input/output bytes (incorrectly) or they are over counting inbound..

I think it goes without saying that they would combine both upload and download.

Your numbers show 103 gigs or so while the meter shows 99. Pretty darn close.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Nick21

join:2010-02-03
New York, NY
reply to dellsweig
I have the link but it shows 0MB for me. It never works. Does it not track non-TWC provided modems?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to dellsweig
My usage meter does not work either. The part is there on the My internet tab but it simply says it can not display at this time.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
Click for full size
My usage
I must be getting old as my usage is 126 GB in 5 months... and yes I use Hulu and other high bandwidth stuff.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Nick21
said by Nick21:

I have the link but it shows 0MB for me. It never works. Does it not track non-TWC provided modems?

It tracks my customer owned Zoom modem, I had Tier 3 provision it and it shows up after a few days. Same thing with my SB6141 when activated with Tier 3, but I had it reactivated with a lower tier and it refused to show up. But I can say they still measure and its fairly close.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
The other major cable providers, Comcast and Cox, that also have bandwidth counters also add download and upload bandwidth together. TWC isn't doing anything new in that.

jojoyohan

join:2007-02-19
united state

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
There was another thread about this and the consensus was that the meter is pretty accurate. I'm away for the holidays, but I managed to use 570GB in November and 334GB in December.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to dellsweig
I have 50/5 ultimate pacakge and I am above 200GB, if someone thinks thats high then I have to ask.... If 200GB is high for you then I assume you will never need anything above 10/1 package

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 recommendation

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
I used to be baffled by people who say that B/s is totally different from B--obviously you aren't saving much time if you're hardly downloading--but now I'm thinking that speed might matter more at lower consumption levels when it comes to media. If you constantly pull data you will end up with a huge backlog which more speed would actually make worse; but if you only download a little even minutes can matter since you are waiting.
Moral of the story: download more!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to DrDrew
said by DrDrew:

Speed of downloads and data consumption are 2 different things. I want fast speeds so ive got 30 down and 4 up on Charter but average about 120 GB a month. Kids Netflix and gaming might add another 20 GB.

Agreed, I have a Camaro...its pretty fast as cars go. In the 10 months I have had it I have driven 7,000 miles. I bought it for its speed, not because I drive long distances.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Moral of the story: download more!

Why? I download what I want.

It's fast enough to the point I often don't store or save a file if I don't think I'm going to need again in a month. Especially since some of the bigger software packages often update versions in that time. If I need it again I download it again. Back when I had less than 10 mbps, especially 33k through 4-5 mbps, I stored EVERYTHING.

Now I can download 1 GB in under 5 minutes. At 10 mbps that took 15 minutes full speed. I can grab a 4.7 GB DVD image in under 30 minutes. At 10 mbps it took 1 hour 30 minutes. Same amount of data, 1/3 the time.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

Either way - their numbers are wrong and you can bet eventually they will use these numbers to bill us......

I checked my router logs against the TW usage meter over the last 2 months. They showed the TW meter a couple GB under what my router measured.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 recommendation

said by unknvoip:

I checked my router logs against the TW usage meter over the last 2 months. They showed the TW meter a couple GB under what my router measured.

Comcast is about the same, not sure of Cox. I think they're subtracting out broadcast traffic to all modems, like ARP and DHCP packets. It doesn't count because 99% of it isn't meant for you. Your router counts it because it crosses the WAN port.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

I must be getting old as my usage is 126 GB in 5 months... and yes I use Hulu and other high bandwidth stuff.

Wow, since August. IIRC, Texans started had a test area first with this?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

"Wow, since August. IIRC, Texans started had a test area first with this?"

Yes, they were the first area to launch Internet Essentials

»austin.ynn.com/content/headlines···-options

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by hobgoblin:

"Wow, since August. IIRC, Texans started had a test area first with this?"

Yes, they were the first area to launch Internet Essentials

»austin.ynn.com/content/headlines···-options

Hob

Thanks Hob and good morning.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

said by etaadmin:

Wow, since August. IIRC, Texans started had a test area first with this?

Don't remember when it was implemented here but I remember Corpus Christi and the RGV division (deep south Texas) were the first to get it.

One day while paying my bill I noticed the meter, and at that time I don't know why but the data went even earlier than August.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
haha yeah! Right now Im at 243GB. Geez, my silbings need to cut down on Netflix streaming lol

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by dragonman300:

haha yeah! Right now Im at 243GB. Geez, my silbings need to cut down on Netflix streaming lol

Good thing we don't have caps yet!

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
reply to dellsweig

Smoothie Meter

TWC Meter

My meter seems to be right on..

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to dellsweig
Click for full size
Can't help but wonder if this should be MB instead of GB

thorin

join:2007-11-08
Liberty, MO

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
definitely thankful for no caps

Data Usage for December 2012
Updated Monday 12/31/12 10:11 AM
727 GB

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig
Gah, my usage is only 89GB for December. I need to step up my game.

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to dellsweig
Earthlink does not have a bandwidth meter when I log onto my TWC account.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium
join:2005-06-29
reply to thorin
Data Usage for December 2012
Updated Monday 12/31/12 18:14 PM
406 GB

holy smokes.