join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom

1 edit

Ordered my Millenicom Modem, Need help improving signal

I officially ordered the 20gb advanced plan, with intents on moving the SIM card into my UML290. I've been using my UML290 with my SIM from my phone, and have been getting pretty decent 4g speeds. I am using an omnidirectional antenna mounted on the side of my house, but I get the feeling if I improve my signal I may be able to get better speeds. I'm currently sitting with an RSSI of 78db. If I go into town with my phone I have 5 bars of 4g (not tested with modem yet so I have no idea what the RSSI is there), and get anywhere from 12-16mbit down, but right now I'm only seeing around 6mbit at home.

Would an amplifier improve my speeds? I'm looking at an amp like: »3gstore.com/product/3580_cellpho···ier.html

Can I use this amp in line with my UML290 without frying the modem?

Edit: I ordered the 20gb hotspot plan...sorry

student

join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA
The Advanced Plan device, the Novatel U760, does not have a SIM. The Hotspot Plan, the Novatel MiFi 4620LE, does have a SIM.

applerule

Mars Hill, NC
Yeah sorry about that i did order the hotspot plan. I edited my post to reflect that.

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to applerule
I would try a directional antenna first, that should bump up the numbers to the point you will be getting the faster LTE speeds.
When it comes to pulling in a good clean signal mounting the antenna higher most always is best. A clear shot toward the cell tower is also good.

applerule

Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom
I definitely don't have line of sight to any tower around me. Is the directional panel antenna any good? ( »3gstore.com/product/2875_wilson-···453.html ) or should I be looking at something like a full blown yagi antenna?

I don't know exactly where the tower is, but I figure I will be safe pointing toward town and adjust the antenna until I get good RSSI. I've tried looking at several tower finding sites and I'm not finding anything that stands out as a Verizon tower to me on the listings.

Do you think a directional antenna will raise my signal enough to give me better speeds, or should I go ahead and buy an amp as well?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to applerule
you barely made the cut for the Advanced plan
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to applerule
I have no experience with that model of Wilson flat panel antenna. I have installed the Wilson Electronics 304411 700 MHz - 2500 MHz Wide Band Log Periodic Directional Antenna. It has provided good gain, close to 10 db.
I find better results with a Parabolic Dish antenna over the Yagi type of antenna in non-clear line of sight applications, when more gain is required.
At this time Verizon is using the Block C: (746–757 and 776–787 MHz) for LTE service. For the greatest return get an antenna cut for that center frequency.
What I do to find cell towers is to war drive with my modem in a laptop. Google Earth will also be of a great help finding elevations between a tower and your location.

bodosom
Legerdemain
Premium
join:2004-03-05
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to applerule
said by applerule:

s the directional panel antenna any good?

I'm using that antenna indoors (I might move it outside when it's not winter) and it increased my typical SINR from 8 to 20dB and speeds from ~8Mb to ~15Mb (3 bars to 4). I'm 4.6 miles from the tower near the edge of Verizon's LTE coverage map area. Speeds are variable but it's mostly good. I can get 40Mb down within a half mile of the tower.

I wasn't real happy with customer service at the 3Gstore but they ship quickly.