Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

Connection-specific DNS Suffix versus DNS Suffix Search List

My laptop has the DNS Suffix Search List populated by a GPO at work. When I connect to my home WiFi, ddwrt sets the Connection-specific DNS Suffix for my home network, but I cannot use hostnames that reside on my home network without the FQDN.

Any ideas on how to get a host name to use the Connection-specific DNS Suffix when I am at home but to use the DNS Suffix Search List when at work?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4

What’s the ouput of ipconfig /all while at home?

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

Well... I don't really want to reveal too much information so here it is with a few "edits".

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FF0960L
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : work.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : work.local
other_work.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home.local
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

I think a cheap and dirty solution might be to simply make my home DNS suffix the same as my work one.

When I VPN in to the work network from home, split tunnel is disallowed so I cannot access any of my local resources anyway so there should not be any conflict.
--

Bink

Castle Rock, CO
reply to LLigetfa

For your Wireless Network Connection, if you go to the Advanced Properties of Internet Protocol Version 4, do you have Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes selected?

Bink

Castle Rock, CO
reply to LLigetfa

Using an employer’s domain at home would never been an acceptable solution for me .

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

No, it is not checked. It is an either/or with the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order)" that is set by GPO. Would not the GPO just put it back if I change it? Anyway... if I select it, it wipes out the two work suffixes which I assume would break name resolution at work that is not duplicated in WINS.
--

Bink

Castle Rock, CO
Reviews:
·VOIPO

When you select it, is the problem resolved? IIRC, GP is reapplied every 90 minutes or so, but I don’t recall what happens with GP when a machine is off the domain. As for name resolution breaking at work, you’re right/it will (and WINS is quite legacy and I would not expect anyone to use it anymore). What happens if you manually add both your home and work domains to Append these DNS suffixes? Either way, this might not be an ideal long-term solution for a GP-managed machine.