Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

What's Your Top Pick for PC Game of 2012?

Click for full size
Click for full size
What game for your top pick did you have the most fun with, worth every penny, and just plain bad ass for 2012?

I think me personally, Guild Wars 2 followed by a close 2nd...Borderlands 2.

I've got ~300 hours into GW2 so far. I haven't put that amount of time into any single game since WoW. The game looks and runs beautiful, lots of exploration, top notch dialog, and just plain fun. The amount of new content Anet has released in such a short time makes the game worth every penny for me.

My close 2nd BL2....I only have roughly 12 hours into this game so far, and it's 100% a superb sequel. They improved on nearly everything from the first game. I'd suggest playing the first one at least a little bit before jumping into the second one. You'll appreciate all the little changes they made a lot more. Something as simple as a mini map right on your UI is one of them.

Let's hope 2013 brings us PC gamers some more awesome games to play. A couple early releases I'm looking forward to are Crysis 3 and Dead Space 3.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Well its hard to say, i mean for me this past years games were'nt worth my time.. That new so called Far cry 3 was a big hit for most but not the older gamers, you can't host a dedicated server like with FC2 and oh my gosh, theres no "server list" thats a big let down, however there is the option of doing Co-op so thats much better imo but still i see it as a waist of time (heard from so many that its so much like COD and has so much lag that even tunngle can out beat UBI's server lag- thats sad) so then I do my best to look at another fun game, like diablo 3 (released much earlier this year- spring) well the lag is still super hyped up as i can see but i have to face the facts, i'm never gonna see it or any other MMO or MP game play so well due to having satellite provider (only option)

Dishonored was a huge thumbs up for me, I could not describe it cause its so darn fantastic. It even lets you redo your mission, you can use stealth and get very close to your enemies and then can slit there neck with you knife, has a great DLC too, you pick and choose what mission you wanna do and you go in for the kill, gather as much gold as you can and other priceless things/items and you can come back later when or if you want in the future play and do better next time you replay it/them. It makes me feel as if i'm playing bioshock or something much like that. The bow and arrow weapon is great, if you shoot an enemy you can go over and re obtain your ammo.. Story line seems cool too.

After turning away from diablo 3 I went ahead and got torchlight 2, so smooth and gives you the option to play offline or online, the fighting experience is down right awesome, you can use weapons like guns or bows (not much like diablo, so its a whole new experience) and the skill tree seems cool, enemies aren't over powered, easy going. The GFX are alright but can be improved so it wouldn't look cartoony.

I saw driver San Fransisco on sale the other day so I toke a look and it seemed hard core, low price too so I could'nt pass it up so i tried it out and liked the GFX, my computer is able to run them perfectly. The "car selecting" thing is cool, kinda bit like timeshift in a fun way. The cut scenes are fun to watch but those can be skipped. The car racing is'nt my style since I was expecting more of the original driver game (the first driver that was released- on ps1) but its still cool in a way.

Max payne 3, saw it right in front of me when I stopped in at gamestop one day.. I found out the game is huge, like 30GB in size so I kinda wonder if I were to buy this via steam and download it, i would have to say it would take 4 days (minimum) so thats pretty big. Anyway I found out its as fun as playing a GTA game except different, you do a mission and then you complete it and go somewhere else and do the same (while stirring into more trouble along the way). The story seems ok but the playing character has something wrong with him, he drinks and drinks trying to drowned his misery and flush all the trouble away but unfortunately that don't happen so he continues to run into more trouble. The controling is wikid, its got a high realistic touch in it when going around corners and such, the gameplay experience I have with this game is incredible, well worth the price it was and Thank you so much gamestop for giving me the disc installation instead of forcing me into downloading it.

I just recently bough CS:GO and had more fun with it than i did with CS:S simply because its newer and has better looks, still has bots like always (witch i play with every time I play CS due to my latency) and the weaponry and choosing selection overlay is still much fun.

I'll most likely be looking forward to dead space 3 as well and metro last light and of course the new bioshock infinite (if there will be offline mode option available- of course, as everyone may already know by now, the new bioshock had already announced that there will be one)

OT:
This past year I would have to say that I looked up to Skyrim 5 more than all the other games but then theres also dishonored (witch was released later, after skyrim 5) so its hard to tell. Why I can't say is due to the GFX of both, there so realistic and there's a ton of missions that Bethesda put into each of them, this also makes me turn towards fallout games, fallout has a great variety and choices of missions and how you complete them, all three games (skyrim, fallout, dishonored) have one thing in common that i can already see and that's gangs (because there all from Bethesda), in fallout if you start a fight with say the NCR then your banned and to stay away from them, anyway the armour and leveling is kinda childish since it don't have any taste but its still fun.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Ghastlyone
For me probably GW2 and BF3. This year has been a great year for PC gaming I would say.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ghastlyone
BF3 is a strong contender for me. I was underwhelmed by MOP, disappointed by D3--not a good year for Blizzard. Dishonored is enjoyable, and I hope I get into it more.

However, my favor that was released in 2012, is probably Mass Effect 3. The Mass Effect storyline is the best scifi universe out there in recent times. I can forgive Bioware for the initial ending, and playing through it with the new one is really a lot of fun. The MP modes are also a lot of fun. Nothing really touches ME3 in my mind.

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, I thought ME3 was bad ass. I don't think Bioware should have received the amount of shit they did from a lot of people out there.

Even if the ending was lackluster, it didn't ruin the whole series in my opinion. I thought the whole story line and plot with ME3 was pretty damn cool.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Krisnatharok
D3 GOTY! How could I miss that.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by I AM:

D3 GOTY! How could I miss that.

I figured DE3 would top the "Worst PC Game of 2012" thread.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
Borderlands 2

Fiftycals

join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX
reply to Ghastlyone
My top two games for 2012 would have to be League of legends and Battlefield 3. World of warcraft has been on a steady suicide rate and the dailies really killed it for me. League has been my go-to game for the majority of the year with some BF3 action when I want to let some steam off. Not the best year for games. Only full game I bought this year was GW2, although fun... something just didn't feel right. I had a blast rushing to level cap... realized I had no friends at cap yet and just stopped playing. Best thing about it.. I can go back whenever I want.. TY GW2 for no monthly fee!

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Ghastlyone
Many games I didn't play, I tend to focus on D3 style, mmo style and moba style games.

Best games of 2012:

#1 - GW2
#2 - LoL

Games I played but don't deserve the list:

WoW, D3, C9, etc...

Games to look out for 2013 imo:

Firefall, Path of Exile

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
LoL didn't really come out in 2012...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Krisnatharok
I was thinking the same too. LoL has been out for awhile now. Before 2012 correct?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
LoL was released in 2009.

My top pick for PC Game? PC exclusive or doesn't matter? If it does not matter, Dishonored. Exclusive: Guild Wars 2 (I would put MoP, but I don't consider expansions as a new game).

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Ghastlyone
BF3 -- even though it was released more than a year ago --- can't seem to get enough of it and it never seems to get old. The new content, maps, weapons keeps me interested.

Deus
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Ghastlyone
I nominate The Walking Dead for its great story telling and the way the game messes with one's emotions. The game captures the mood of the show and is by far my pick for 2012.

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone
My three for 2012 that I have played:

1) Borderlands 2
2) Dishonored
3) Hotline Miami

Games that I got on sale, that I want to play:

1) Spec Ops the line
2) The Walking Dead
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Ghastlyone
Nothing took my breath away in 2012, sadly.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Ghastlyone
Best game I played in 2012 was Dragon Age Origins, but that was released last year (or maybe the year before that). DAO reminded me of Mass Effect in midevil times.

For games actually released in 2012, I'd have to go with Mass Effect 3. I hated the ending bitterly, but the game itself was awesome, which only served to make the terrible ending stand out more. Still, I had a lot of fun with the first 99% of the game and I even spent several months playing the multiplayer, which is unusual for me.

PC Gamer picked ME3 as their game of the year, too.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Ghastlyone
topic didnt say new game, just best games of 2012

GW2 is new to 2012
LoL not new, but great in 2012

Kulldar
Premium
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI
reply to Krisnatharok
I agree with Kris. Even though the ending was lackluster, ME3 is my favorite game of 2012.

royhandy

join:2012-11-05
USA
reply to Ghastlyone
Borderlands 2

I also played D3 and WoW this year but MoP was terrible and, well, everyone knows about D3.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Ghastlyone
The games I bought in 2012 were SW:TOR (late December, 2011 but I'll count it here), Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and WoW: MoP.

SW:TOR was fun for about two months, but endgame was lacking.

I won't go into D3, as pretty much everyone knows how that went.

GW2 just wasn't for me. It had some innovative ideas, but even playing in small doses, I was bored with it after only a few weeks.

That leaves Mists of Pandaria. While it was nothing earth shattering, I'm enjoying it and am having fun with WoW again so far, so that would be my winner, mostly by default.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

blackthought

join:2010-04-08
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Ghastlyone
I tried a couple of games and LOL is stil #1. MOP is so so. Nothing really new in terms of game play.

C9 was fun for a time but got old real fast.
--
»www.nomorenoob.com - Wow help site
Noob of the month - »www.nomorenoob.com/p/noob-of-mon ··· nth.html

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

reply to footballdude
said by footballdude:

Best game I played in 2012 was Dragon Age Origins, but that was released last year (or maybe the year before that). DAO reminded me of Mass Effect in midevil times.

For games actually released in 2012, I'd have to go with Mass Effect 3. I hated the ending bitterly, but the game itself was awesome, which only served to make the terrible ending stand out more. Still, I had a lot of fun with the first 99% of the game and I even spent several months playing the multiplayer, which is unusual for me.

PC Gamer picked ME3 as their game of the year, too.

I'm playing DA:O right now too and while it's freakin amazing, it came out in 2009 I think. Still great though. ME3 was a mostly amazing game, but I wasn't able to play with my Shepard imported from ME 1 AND ME2, which made it lose a ton of points, and it was more the pick-an-ending than the endings themselves that made me hate the way one of my favorite gaming series ended and made sure it didn't take my GOTY list. I'm still bitter, lol.

My GOTY is Guild Wars 2 easy. I've spent months playing that game and while I'm not playing every day anymore I still love it. First runner up is The Walking Dead, followed by Far Cry 3, Dishonored and Borderlands 2.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
I watched some gameplay videos of Walking Dead. God that game looks like fuckin shit. And I'm not talking about graphics either.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Ghastlyone:

I watched some gameplay videos of Walking Dead. God that game looks like fuckin shit. And I'm not talking about graphics either.

I thought the same at first, but went on a walking dead kick while reading the comics. If you like TWD you need to play it. It's point and click but has amazing story telling.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by bionicRod:

said by Ghastlyone:

I thought the same at first, but went on a walking dead kick while reading the comics. If you like TWD you need to play it. It's point and click but has amazing story telling.

I tried getting into Walking Dead. Just couldn't do it.

Soap opera zombie shows just don't do it for me.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Ghastlyone:

said by bionicRod:

said by Ghastlyone:

I tried getting into Walking Dead. Just couldn't do it.

Soap opera zombie shows just don't do it for me.

Well then I take that back...you don't need to play it.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

1 edit
reply to Ghastlyone
Borderlands 2 was awesome. I liked the first, but the second improved on everything they possibly could over the first one.

Torchlight 2 is the same as BL2. Huge upgrade over the first and amazing fun.

But those 2 are runner ups.

Best for me is Witcher 2. It was a summer well spent with this game.

Ignore that. :\

ME also had potential... I was really looking forward to it as I felt like it could be one of the best series ever, but it really disappointed me at the end. (Still no where near as bad a disappointed at Dragon Age 2 though, but that's another story.) At this point, EA earned itself to be blacklisted in my book. I will not be touching any of their new games till they have some serious changes.