uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to puppy

Re: What's Your Top Pick for PC Game of 2012?

said by puppy:

For those that played both TorchLight 1 and 2, what are the significant differences? I tried to play TL1 but never got very far into it for some reason.

I still haven't played TL1, I got it free with TL2 purchase. The second one is so much fun to play though. From what I've read, the added multi player is one of the largest changes with the sequel. They made some class changes also and added more gear. But people say the TL2 is a superb sequel.

My Embermage is currently level 72. Once you unlock the Mapworks area where you can purchase dungeon maps to play through, it starts getting very fun and challenging.

I've played Veteran and few times now, and mobs will fuck yo shit up. I couldn't imagine Hard Core mode.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Ghastlyone
Hehe found a "review" article on forbes.com which should be websense friendly to most work places.

»www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20···ght-now/

I think I'll try it this weekend. Getting a bit burned out on GW2, and still no wish to go back to WOW.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by puppy:

Hehe found a "review" article on forbes.com which should be websense friendly to most work places.

»www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20···ght-now/

I think I'll try it this weekend. Getting a bit burned out on GW2, and still no wish to go back to WOW.

I think the whole "MMO" genre in general is stale for me, and probably for a lot of people out there also.

Between BL2, Dishonored and TL2 my time is taken. That's why I haven't logged into a GW lately.

We've got Dead Space 3 (first day purchase for me) next month along with Crysis 3. Those are 2 more games that will take more of my gaming time.

cheesyyellow

join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA
Since a lot of DLC was released in 2012 I'll go with BF3. Still logging lots of hours.

For an actual 2012 release title Planetside 2.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

We've got Dead Space 3 (first day purchase for me) next month along with Crysis 3. Those are 2 more games that will take more of my gaming time.

Damn...I still need to finish Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2. Guess I'll pass on day one and wait for the summer sale, try to get them done by then.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by bionicRod:

said by Ghastlyone:

Damn...I still need to finish Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2. Guess I'll pass on day one and wait for the summer sale, try to get them done by then.

Dude, you gotta play through DS2 at least once. I thought the ending was pretty badass.

Only thing I'm hoping for on the 3rd installment are more graphics adjustments for PC gamers. We were really limited on DS2.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
I've played halfway through it twice before something new and shiny pulled my attention away. I got it for cheap or free (can't remember) on a BF3 pre-order Origin deal. I liked it a lot and really do want to sit down and finish the damned thing, but there's so many games and limited time.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

I've played Veteran and few times now, and mobs will fuck yo shit up. I couldn't imagine Hard Core mode.

Imagine the gun shop basement scene in Pulp Fiction.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Ghastlyone
I watched some TL2 videos (embermage is flashy!) and was like looks nice but not sure...

Then I saw Steam has it on sale (until 10 AM tomorrow PST) for $10 and I decided sure thing! It's downloading now

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by Ghastlyone:

Imagine the gun shop basement scene in Pulp Fiction.

LOL, classic movie scene. And yes...it's pretty much just like that.

said by puppy:

I watched some TL2 videos (embermage is flashy!) and was like looks nice but not sure...

Then I saw Steam has it on sale (until 10 AM tomorrow PST) for $10 and I decided sure thing! It's downloading now

Embermages are so damn cool. I thought my Engineer was pretty rawkus, until I created my Mage. It's pure destruction with him. He's complete glass cannon though.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Ghastlyone
If we're talking about games that consumed my time in 2012 instead of games that came out in 2012, it's probably going to be League of Legends. That chewed up the bulk of my time last year, even though I don't play it anymore.

WoW is strong enough to commit some hours to, but not like the old days.

There are several other games that aren't bad. Assassin's Creed 3 was good.

Overall though, I think 2012 was a pretty disappointing year for gaming.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by Archivis:

Overall though, I think 2012 was a pretty disappointing year for gaming.

This. 2011 had BF3 and The Witcher 2. Nothing that came out in 2012 can touch those two titles in terms of AAA quality and polish.

I feel like the games we play now, we play because there is nothing better out there. We're simply waiting for the next big thing to be released, not playing it.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

1 recommendation

If we have nothing but backwards to look for games, I would love to turn people on to something they might have missed.

FTL is an example of a game that doesn't require good graphics to have a decent game play. It looks like it's a short game, where the replay value has you finding new ships and playing through it. A poopsocker may get 20-30 hours out of the game, but it's still a decent game on its own.

It would have been fantastic if they could have expanded the game out to a larger scope where you could manage a fleet, have auto-pilots that assisted in taking over certain territories. But in the end, it's a good game to play for a while and then probably never pick up again.

People are craving a game that'll hook them like League of Legends did. People are craving a game that'll hook them like WoW used to. Something needs to engage the player, place a level of difficulty in there to keep it interesting and have the expandable capability to continue to introduce new elements of the game to the player as they're ready for it.

I have such a game for everyone, but unfortunately, since it doesn't have the highest end graphics, most people are turned off from it entirely.

It has somewhat of a learning curve to it when you start, but it has a depth to it that most games today do not have. It gives a natural fun element to the game, rather than feeling like you're playing a "formula".

Like I said though, the graphics deter people from playing. In fact, it has no graphics at all. They're called MUDs. In the same sense that books can captivate you in a way that movies cannot, MUDs can captivate a player in a way that graphical RPGs cannot. MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons) are multiplayer text-based RPGs. They start off with you learning the basics, maneuvering through a room, gaining levels, slaying enemies, using equipment, but it quickly turns into crawling through dungeons with friends, PVP, and when a playerbase existed, guild vs. guild PVP.

In the MUD I used to play, there existed more content than WoW currently has. You could navigate through upwards of 200 zones. The secrets of many of these zones used to be discovered on a regular basis and was continuously ongoing.

That was the magic behind it all was that there was a tremendous amount of things to discover and you were the first one to discover it. I'm tempted to write a main post about this. A lot of people tend to take the game suggestions I take seriously. When we pull people together for League of Legends, or Starcraft, or Diablo, or WoW, or any of the other games, we all give it an honest shot at the same time.

If I could get people exposed to the wonderful chaos as the MUD I used to play, run, and develop for, I think people would get themselves the same feelings they had the first time they played WoW 7+ years ago. In the same sense that WoW is a movie, this MUD would be a book version of what people got hooked on so long ago.

MUDs connect through a normal telnet connection. Rather than using something shitty like telnet, there's a MUD client called GMUD that allows you to manage aliases, macros, triggers, etc. The host and port for the MUD is sh.ackmud.net, on port 7000. The MUD itself is called Storm Hunters.

Storm Hunters has been handed down to person after person for almost two decades. I ran it myself for about 5 years, after playing it for 5 years prior. When I quit, it was turned over to some people to play. It wasn't called Storm Hunters back then. It was called Aftershock when I ran it.

Since then, any time I ran a guild, I called it Aftershock. That game is what stuck out above and beyond everything else I played (and I poopsocked games since I was a child), and since we have nothing new to look forward to, maybe it's time for people to look at an old gem.

If you do try it out, I hope you don't quit on it right away. That's not how the great games work. They require a bit of learning to get going. Break away from the hand-holding of today's formulated games and try something that'll put you back in the days of when you used to play real games.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
I double approve this message, just started my first MUD and it is a lot of fun wish there was more people to play with.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
Should I start a new post, you think? You don't need 30 people to enjoy it. Just 4-5 is all you need to explore.
--

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
Hearing a lot of I have too many anger issues to play league.

Y don't you work on the anger issues and play the better game? Hmm?

Especially people with accounts worth as much as yalls.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

Should I start a new post, you think? You don't need 30 people to enjoy it. Just 4-5 is all you need to explore.

Having a MUD thread would be awesome.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

Hearing a lot of I have too many anger issues to play league.

Y don't you work on the anger issues and play the better game? Hmm?

Especially people with accounts worth as much as yalls.

Is the good thing about F2P games, you can just come back whenever you like and all your stuff will be there for you to enjoy.
--

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone
LoL should never be a main game IMO. Cause it will cause bipolar disorder.

LoL should only be used as a game to complement another game. Been doing this with GW2+LoL and it's working out nicely.

I can play a LoL game, lose, and still enjoy it... I even chuckle at losses because often they are hilarious. So I just go with the flow..

when I played LoL only, and was very progression oriented those loses caused me to rage!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I totally agree with you there.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to TheThing
Actively working on bi polar disorder.

I have been complementing with BO3 and will be playing some H4 over the coming weeks.

Picking up a Death Addar and some Turtle Beaches this weekend so glad to be getting another gaming mouse. This will be my first quality pair of headphones so I am excited about that as well.
--
O you want me to watch my mouth. How. Take my fucking eye balls out and turn them around. Look. I'll burn your fucking house down circle around and hit the hydrant so you can't put your burning furniture out.

TheThing

don't wear them when playing LoL lol

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Ghastlyone
I didn't see anyone mention it, but with Skyrim releasing November 2011 and the content released this last year with Hearthfire and Dawngaurd (Dragonborn later this year for PC) I think it deserves a mention. After realizing how much time WoW was taking from me, and the feeling of obligation to play daily, only to do things I didn't feel like doing in order to progress; I stepped away. MoP is decent, but nothing revolutionary. D3 was a disaster, but TL2 picked up that slack. I am still waiting on the development kit for TL2 so that we can get potions of respec without flagging toons as a "cheater". TBH, most I know are playing WoW due to lack of anything else. I still think GW2 is better, but without many people I know playing, I don't feel any enjoyment. So for me Skyrim is it, and tbh, I am having an absolute blast. I feel like I can not play for a few days to even a week and I am not penalized.

TLDR; Skyrim, then GW2>MoP, TL2>D3
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
2013...The Elder Scrolls Online?

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
said by I AM:

2013...The Elder Scrolls Online?

Not sure about this one. I have enjoyed the last two quite a bit, but not all great solo games translate well to mmo's.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to stvnbrs
I still really want to play Skyrim. I'm just scared it'll rot in my library of games. I just don't know that I could get into it.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
Skyrim is absolutely the best game you'll never finish.

TheThing

said by Archivis:

Played it, loved it... for 2 hours... never played it again... Gave it to Goodwill 4 months later.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

+1. I've got around 200 hours in that game and never bothered to finish the main quest and there's no shortage of sidequests to do.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone
Thanks guys. You just confirmed for me to not waste my money.

If it eventually goes on sale for $4.99 or even $9.99, I'll pick it up. Until then, I'll pass.