spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc

CableCard price going up?

I was looking at the equipment page for FIOS TV and noticed CableCard's are now priced at $5.99. Is this only for new customers or will this apply to everyone? Mine was still $3.99 last month.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If that's true, it will really suck. CableCARDs were already overpriced at 3.99/month

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to thorhtpc

MVM

to thorhtpc
Current bill for period still shows 3.99
quote:
12/22 1/21 Cable Card Rental 3.99

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
Now that many devices are being supported without a cablecard (certain bluray players, xbox, etc) I wonder if the FCC will look into the unfair practice of requiring some equipment to use cablecards and others not. I understand the newer equipment is IP-only but why can QAM256 devices require a monthly rental fee yet IP does not....

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to thorhtpc

Premium Member

to thorhtpc
wonderful... I bought cablecard devices to save money, I guess thats not the case anymore

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
I tried to return one of two earlier this afternoon and store was so busy that I wasn't waited on in over one hour. Staff were not energized except for one woman. I wonder how well this story would go over with billing in that I couldn't give them back a piece of equipment at their own store! I did see numerous folks walk in to return equipment yet no one left with anything. They did have hand written notices stating that they didn't have any HD equipment. Good job, Verizon.
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

Alphasite

I need to go to the local store to pick up a CableCard. I was going to go today but didn't have time. It sounds like I would have been wasting my time, Teasip.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 recommendation

Zero5 to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
Click for full size
The price isn't going up. I just checked both existing and new customer pricing and it's still the same. You where probably looking at the cost of the Digital Adapter instead which is right above CableCARD.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by Zero5:

The price isn't going up. I just checked both existing and new customer pricing and it's still the same. You where probably looking at the cost of the Digital Adapter instead which is right above CableCARD.

Thanks for heading off the hysteria with actual facts.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Zero5

to Zero5
said by Zero5:

Keep in mind that you can only view your local pricing and not other areas of the FIOS footprint (for example in the NYC area the HD STB is $6.99). I am not saying you are incorrect just pointing out the OP is from CA and your pricing is from PA.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip to Alphasite

to Alphasite
It was not a pretty site. I overheard one conversation where an older couple needed an onsite visit per the CSR and while she was on the phone she told the phone CSR that she couldn't generate a site visit without an order number, which she herself was unable to generate. Wow.....
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc to knarf829

to knarf829
Click for full size
Sorry, I am not trying to create hysteria. I should have posted were I got the info. Here is the address:

»www22.verizon.com/home/f ··· quipment

Just click on details under CableCard.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by thorhtpc:

Interesting I show the same pricing of $5.99 when I view that link yet when I check the pricing for myverizon it shows $3.99.

Looks like $5.99 pricing is here for new customers, ouch...

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to thorhtpc

MVM

to thorhtpc
Since it remains to be seen just how much the chat folks know, this conversation may or may not apply. Time will tell.
quote:
You(20:50:36): I'm looking at the equipment details for CableCard, and it shows a price of 5.99. Is this a new price structure for equipment?
Anderson(20:51:22): The price for the Cable Card is $3.99/mo and for Digital Adapter is 5.99/mo
You(20:52:05): When I go here, it shows 5.99. Is this a website error? »www22.verizon.com/home/f ··· quipment
You(20:52:33): Actually, the Digital Adapter is not listed there as an option.
Anderson(20:53:29): Please be assured, once you proceed with the order on the TV Equipment page will be able to view exact prices.
Anderson(20:53:39): vCould you please tell me what services you currently have with Verizon?
You(20:54:28): TV with cablecard. I'm wondering if my cable card price will go up next month. Is this for new customers or existing?
Anderson(20:55:38): Please be assured, you will be notified prior to 30 days before any rise in the prices.
You(20:57:03): Suggest it be passed up the line. The website has a typo. The cablecard should show price of 3.99. I think the Digital Adapter should be pictured with the 5.99 price.
Anderson(20:59:44): I apologize for information, I will forward this to concern department.
I appreciate for sharing this information.
So there you have it. Note that I suggested it's a typo, not the agent. He said Digital Adapter is 5.99 and CableCard is 3.99, and that the correct price will show when placing the order. If a price hike is coming, existing customers will be notified in advance.

So I'm hoping it's a typo. No need to get alarmed. Yet.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

We'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by thorhtpc:

Interesting I show the same pricing of $5.99 when I view that link yet when I check the pricing for myverizon it shows $3.99.

Also interesting:

1. It says it twice. (That at least is a typo.)
2. None of the other equipment on that page ("Basic DVR", "Multi-Room DVR", "Set Top Box") shows a price at all.