how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

Please state your Router/Firmware/speed you use with Fios

I like to get a sense of who is using what router and I will start this off.
Asus RT-N12 B1 with Shibby-Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-104 K26 IPv6-VPN
Speed paying for is 20/5 and I am usually within 10% below that.
I only have Fios Internet service.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
Click for full size
I have a Actiontec Rev.D as secondary. TV service gives me fluff on 50/25 but only using a DCT700 and a cablecard-enabled Moxi.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to neftv
I've been using my home-built pfSense v1.2.3 router since 2009, currently on the 300/65 plan with the Actiontec rev. G as a wireless AP.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to neftv
Another happy pfSense user here but I'm using the 2.0 version. Currently on the 75/35 plan with TV. TV adds 10Mbit for VOD headroom so it speed tests will show 85mbit for down.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
I use a few...

ASA 5505 in transparent (bridged) mode to filter the main connection, Linksys E3000 for wireless, and the Actiontec to serve my MoCA.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dream Killer
said by Dream Killer:

Another happy pfSense user here but I'm using the 2.0 version.

Interesting. I could never get the LAN bridging figured out on v2.0. On 1.2.3 it was easy to bridge 1 interface with another but after many tries I just gave up on pfsense 2.0. If you have any tips for me via PM I'd be grateful

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
How do you want to bridge them? Im assuming you want multiple interfaces to act as if they're a simple switch.

If you want a simple switch, it's easier to just SSH into pfSense and use the bsd command line to bridge them. You just punch in one line and voila, bridged.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Dream Killer:

How do you want to bridge them? Im assuming you want multiple interfaces to act as if they're a simple switch.

If you want a simple switch, it's easier to just SSH into pfSense and use the bsd command line to bridge them. You just punch in one line and voila, bridged.

Yes exactly right. I have 5 NICs in my pfsense machine, 1 WAN, 1 LAN and 3 OPT I would like to bridge with my LAN. I'll have to do some more reading and give it another try.

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to neftv
Click for full size

Another pfSense (2.1beta1) user here as well.

For some reason NYC was testing better than my local Boston servers so ping is a bit higher than normal. Typically see about 83/35 most of the time (only Internet, no TV here.) Only issue I've had is a few weeks after Sandy, before and after that's it's been pretty good.

-Mike

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to serge87
»www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook···ing.html

I followed section 32.5.4 last time and it worked like a charm. Just make sure the interfaces aren't configured by pfSense when you do this. After creation, you just configure pfSense with the new "bridge 0" interface and it will treat it as if it was a single port.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Dream Killer:

»www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook···ing.html

I followed section 32.5.4 last time and it worked like a charm. Just make sure the interfaces aren't configured by pfSense when you do this. After creation, you just configure pfSense with the new "bridge 0" interface and it will treat it as if it was a single port.

Great, thank you for that! I will give it a try hopefully tomorrow

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
I have a Rev I as my main router in G-Only mode, with a WRT320N running DD-WRT as my Dual-N Router (300Mbps). Have the 50/25 plan but I get 60/40 using a wired PC with gigabit nic.

Not only does the 320n give better speeds, but thanks to DD-WRT, I have a stronger N signal then anyone else, it covers my entire acre yard, and 2-3 houses down as well .

mike12806
Premium
join:2007-08-28
Newton, MA
reply to birdfeedr
Newbie question, what do you mean by "tv service gives you fluff"? Is some additional bandwidth provisioned in to cover tv and/or VOD?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by mike12806:

what do you mean by "tv service gives you fluff"? Is some additional bandwidth provisioned in to cover tv and/or VOD?

Fluff is a term used by someone a couple of years ago and it just stuck.

Subscribers with TV service plus internet tend to have higher download speeds. Yes, to account for VOD. Bandwidth used to be adjusted upwards during VOD, but that apparently became a standard provision. Some internet tiers never had that.

Some older tiers had the upload bumped up which was a prelude to the newer 25mbps uploads, then those uploads apparently got bumped up when folks upgraded to the Quantum tiers.

My 50/25 is 57/34. OP's 20/5 is old tier and internet only, so he's getting just shy of 10% lower.

With FiOS, actual speeds and provisioning is a moving target as time marches on. I think it's an incentive for some folks to upgrade their service.

edit to add: first reference in FiOS forum »Re: Any new Speed tiers?
first reference in FiOS TV forum: »Bundle upgrade 25/15 but I measure 26/21

mike12806
Premium
join:2007-08-28
Newton, MA
Ah, makes sense as I'm getting 25/5 on the 15/5 plan using the actiontec rev2 version F with an AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless ap / gigabit switch.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to neftv

Using dd-wrt here on the 25/25 tier & Triple play

msanta
FIOS

join:2005-05-30
Merrick, NY
reply to neftv
Click for full size
These are my router's specs:
I have 150/65 but get 155/69mbps

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to neftv
Router: MI424WR-GEN3G (Rev. G Actiontec)
Firmware: 30.20.2

I also have an AirPort Extreme on my LAN as a wireless access point.

All wired devices are plugged into gigabit ports, be they on the Actiontec or on an HP ProCurve switch.

I subscribe to the 35/35 tier, and consistently get 40/35.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to neftv
Using two ASUS RT-N56U routers. One in router mode and one in AP mode. Using Padavans custom firmware version RT-N56U_3.0.3.1v-027.

I'm on the 150/65 tier and get 155/70 from my wired PCs and get 150/70 from my wireless PCs.

I don't get alot of fluff even though I have the quad play with Verizon.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to neftv
Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2

WGT54GL V1.1 DD running DD-WRT

Edimax N300 Extender

I have the 50/25 with Prime HD so my fluff puts me a steady 62Mbps. I love it.