spc
Search similar:

uniqs

glnz
join:2006-11-26
New York, NY

glnz

AOL slow on Mountain Lion

We bought our first Apple a few weeks ago - a MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion.
Well, all seems to be good except that AOL is very slow on the Mac. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

AOL? Like AOL.com?

glnz
New York, NY

glnz

Mars: No - not going to aol.com on a browser. I mean the greater AOL experience. AOL is its own application - its own world. On our older PCs it runs fast enough. On the Mac, it's slow. Everything else on the Mac is fast. Any thoughts?

M A R S
Premium Member
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

Yes it the AOL software its self. I had no idea they still made such a thing. Try this tho, »help.aol.com/help/micros ··· Id=14751 Good luck.

RogueMonk
Premium Member
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON

RogueMonk to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
AOL still exists?

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
I think it's time to leave 1997 behind and move out of the AOL world to maybe something more current like Gmail/Google services or iCloud/@me.com email. As it is AOL is just an aggregator that steals info from everywhere else and put's it into one spot, the same experience you can get from a hundred different other sites.

glnz
New York, NY

glnz

dvanderdelde and RiseAbove: I agree with you, and in fact I have been trying to ween my wife away from AOL for a very long time. But she likes it, and she is plenty good with other computing tasks.

So, the questions still is: What can I do to make it run faster on Mountain Lion? Mars's link is very interesting, but I think it is for a much older OS than Mountain Lion. Also, having just bought the MacBook Pro and downloaded the most recent AOL for Mac, I would guess that deleting the files in Mars's link won't help, as they are probably brand-new preference files for this new version of AOL for Mac. But we might try it at some point.

Still open to your thoughts.

M A R S
Premium Member
Long Island

M A R S

Premium Member

run it in windows in a VM or boot camp?

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie to glnz

to glnz
Free VirtualBox plus your flavour of Windoze....................

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to glnz

to glnz
I'm absolutely speechless ...

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
There is someone out there besides my college roommate who still uses AOL software? Lol. I give him crap about that all the time since we have FIOS and he uses it through that, although he does use Firefox also.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
said by glnz:

dvanderdelde and RiseAbove: I agree with you, and in fact I have been trying to ween my wife away from AOL for a very long time. But she likes it, and she is plenty good with other computing tasks.

Consider the slowness a blessing. It could be the only way to ween your wife off AOL!

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium Member
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA

BuckarooB to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
the Best way to accelerate AOL's performance on a Mac... is to not use it at all... or maybe remote desktop to another PC in the house and run it from there...

M A R S
Premium Member
Long Island

M A R S to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
Im not going to bust this guys balls over it. Its what his wife wants i understand how that goes but i too was shocked that AOL still existed and made software and for a Mac no less.

It looks like his only real way out is run windows some how of beg and cry to his wife to have her move on.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to glnz

Premium Member

to glnz
I remember AOL software, I hated it since 2002

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to glnz

MVM,

to glnz
Just for the hell of it, I installed it. Not slow at all. Quite fast actually.

You installed it from this link?
»daol.aol.com/software/de ··· r-mac/#g

How is it slow - in loading content or opening windows/the interface itself?

not
@comcast.net

not to WK2

Anon

to WK2
said by WK2:

I remember AOL software, I hated it since 2002

I remember AOHELL software. Yes, it existed...

glnz
New York, NY

glnz

OK, everyone, I can see we all agree that AOL software is not great. But my wife wants it to work better on her otherwise-super MacBook Pro. Need technical suggestions like Mars's (which we might still try at some point, although I feel uneasy messing with an OS I'm not familiar with). Thanks.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by glnz:

OK, everyone, I can see we all agree that AOL software is not great. But my wife wants it to work better on her otherwise-super MacBook Pro. Need technical suggestions like Mars's (which we might still try at some point, although I feel uneasy messing with an OS I'm not familiar with). Thanks.

See Thinkdiff's post ...
not quite right

not quite right to glnz

to glnz
said by glnz:

#1 - See Thinkdiff's post if you must do this ...
#2 - It really is time to eradicate the world of that crap software! (I thought it had been).
#3 - Make www.aol.com her start page. As far as I can tell all of the content is still there.
#4 - All that would be left would be that creepy ass dude going "you got mail", long dead chat rooms, and AIM.
#5 - If giving up AIM's the problem (which I don't know anybody that uses it any longer) introduce her to Skype, or Apples own Messages/Face Time.
#6 - There used to be a T-shirt that read "Friends don't let friends use AOL"
Well you're amongst friends here.

glnz
New York, NY

glnz to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
Thinkdiff - very interesting - thanks. I sent your link to my wife, and we'll see. There are two AOL web pages with the same link, and I'm pretty sure this dwg file is what we've already downloaded and installed. But who know? Maybe AOL made a tweak the last few days and we should re-do it. I'll post here if and when we re-try.