Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to takeahike

Re: F**k Dell

said by takeahike:

Not really in IT corporate, per se, but consumer sales and service. If you read my comments carefully, you'd see I'm talking about the future of the my type of business, not my place in it. So, if you mean adapting to living without income, I suppose so.

eventually, everything will be in a cloud. Then everything will be disposable.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Poorfellow

join:2008-03-16
New York, NY
reply to takeahike

Re: Fuck Dell

Your MO is to convince "customers" that their documents are immobile, and therefore a repair is necessary to allow them to retain them? You actually tell them that?

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

4 edits

No, I never said that nor would it make any sense since if you can put them back on the hard drive you could put them anywhere else. I just include data recovery along with the fix of the OS and advise them that if they bought a new system it would cost them additional for someone--not necessarily me--to recover their data from the old one. Does every new topic have to include a "no trolling" warning?
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

Expand your moderator at work

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to takeahike

My work is not in IT, but yeah, Dell Lattitude laptops are awesome. (I program PLC for HVAC systems, and work a lot on servers to archive important datas in SQL databases...)

I have a E5520 for work and I love it. It's not the fastest machine (who cares, I have a gaming computer at home) but I do take care of my stuff and I feel like it will last me for years. The quality seems better than any laptop I have seen at Best Buy.

We still have a lot of D520 in the field and they're used on construction site where it is dirty/dusty and the guys using them don't really take care of them... even in really poor conditions, they don't want to die.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com

Another fan of Dell D-series laptops.. My personal laptop, a Vostro 1400, died of the fatal Nvidia video disease, twice, mind you, once covered by the Dell/Nvida class action suit that slapped Nvidia for selling known defective product. The second time, rather than *try* to reflow the solder joints on the video chip or replace the motherboard, I decided to part the thing out on eBay, and replaced it with a Latitude D620 I had bought on eBay as-is/parts only and repaired.. This Latitude cost me, as I recall, about $50 as it was missing keyboard, HD, battery and LCD frame. After adding parts I have maybe a total of $200 into it and it is BULLET-PROOF... I had intended on putting Ubuntu on it and reselling it, but gotta have a personal laptop... I monitor eBay for low-priced as-is/parts-only "fixer-upper" Dell laptops and when I see a good deal, I pounce.. so far have repaired/refurbed about 5 and resold locally and Craigslist..

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to BK3

Maybe back in the day, but I've worked with enough Dell equipment to say that with confidence.

Case in point, a few years back I bought a PE 400SC, opened it up like the good little geek I am, it was a precision ws with a different bios!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

The low end Poweredges are naturally going to be similar to the Precision desktops. There's really no way around that without either eliminating high end desktop offerings or their low end server offerings. Cheap asses who buy the low end PE hardware are not going to pay for a complete redesign just so it shares no similarities with a Precision.

Correctly claiming that a PE SC430 looks pretty similar to a Precision 390 is not the same thing as saying that an off the shelf Inspiron is the same thing as a Latitude.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

The design of the case may be different, but if you opened up an inspiron and a Latitude, id put money they are the same.

Do you really think they are going to design and maintain 5 lines of computers?

As for the low end PE's it was personal, good deal from an Ebay sale.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

Yes, and a VW Jetta is the same thing as a VW Phaeton because they would never bother to build more than one platform.

*Edited for better example.

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
reply to takeahike

Likely mentioned already but that is when you boot using a Ultimate Boot Disk or Ubuntu LiveCD or USB drive. You can then access the contents of the hard drive. You can also boot with an Acronis disk and copy the image to an external device. Verify the image and confirm contents, then nuke the hard drive and reinstall windows using a unattended disk.

Not unless you mean literally removing the hard drive and swapping the controller board for true data recovery.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to dfrandin

said by dfrandin:

said by nonymous:

I bought one of those cheap Dells then found out about the hard drive...

There's your mistake..Buying one of those "cheap Dells".. A retired 20+ year laptop tech/10+ years on Dells.. Dell laptops are fabulous IF you stay with the corporate models, namely Latitude and Precision, and Optiplex/Precision on desktops.. These laptop models are the "two screws to remove harddrive" types.. The "home user" Inspirons? not so much... And pricewise? Since I'm retired, I do a fair amount of consulting on computer issues, and I swear by the Dell Outlet.. I've lost track of how many people I've steered to purchasing a corporate model laptop (or desktop) from the Outlet.. The systems are current model, come with 3 year warantees, US-based support, are factory-refurbished, and come with a serious discount, from 10% to 25%, depending on which of the three condition tiers you buy from. Never had a client come back and say "Hey.. that Dell I bought was $@#%#$%43"... Not once..
Just my .02..

LVDave

I watched a couple youtube videos that make it look easy. Famous last words. Just hope I do not have to do anything for at least few years or more. Plus it was cheap. If I get a few years i am fine. If I have to figure out a hard drive then it will not matter if I fail.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to AsherN

said by AsherN:

Consumer computers are disposable items. They are designed to not be serviceable by your average consumer. Not being able to easily upgrade the HDD is a good thing for the repair business.

That's what I was thinking.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

osumba2001

join:2000-12-11
New Albany, OH
reply to takeahike

I just had a customer over the weekend who needed the HD replaced on his Inspiron N4110. I found a wonderful instructional video on YouTube walking me through removing the 28 screws (!), peripheral data cables, fan and motherboard necessary to reach the HD. After cursing at each "this must be the last screw", "no, THIS must be the last screw", I was able to remove the HD, image the user's data and then reverse the steps to put it back together. What a total pain in the a$$, Dell.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

And as others have pointed out, good for you since you charged more for this, yes?

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to takeahike

»support.dell.com/support/edocs/s···ndex.htm

Dell has great documentation. What I do on items with many different screws is I print out the instructions and tape down the screws near the depiction as I go. Afterward I work backwards and remove the screws. For iDevices I use ifixit.com instructions and just highlight with the same color they use where I will tape the screws down. One depiction can have four types (color) of screws. Gone are the days when a device only contains 1 to 3 types of screws.

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

And as others have pointed out, good for you since you charged more for this, yes?

Not really. People expect the same deal for the same job--they don't perceive all the extra work. And even if you could get a little more, it's just a little more for a lot more work. Who wouldn't prefer the quick and easy stuff?
--

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 edit

You either price accordingly*, decline the job, or do it and take a loss. Sounds like you picked the latter. Not a good business strategy in the long run, IMO.

* Explaining to the customer why you must do so.

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit

There no monetary loss in strict terms, only a loss of time, which doesn't affect the bottom line if there's enough time to complete all work obtained. Declining the job is where there's a monetary loss, and your first suggestion of pricing "accordingly" may make the customer decide for you.
--

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to mikefxu

said by mikefxu:

»support.dell.com/support/edocs/s···ndex.htm

Dell has great documentation.

I noticed that many OEMs cut corners and make computers harder to work on. Brother took apart his new Asus computer and nothing was easily removable.

As pointed out, Dell has excellent documentation.

And as also mentioned, I only buy Latitude series computers.
--
Semper Fi

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to takeahike

said by takeahike:

There no monetary loss in strict terms, only a loss of time,

time=money
there is an opportunity loss if you do not make maximum profit.

If I can shovel snow and clear $20 this weekend, but I stay in and make $10 fixing a laptop, I lost $10.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

said by AVD:

said by takeahike:

time=money
If I can shovel snow and clear $20 this weekend, but I stay in and make $10 fixing a laptop, I lost $10.

Lots of downtime. Not nearly enough work to fill the hours in the day.
--

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

said by takeahike:

said by AVD:

said by takeahike:

time=money

Lots of downtime. Not nearly enough work to fill the hours in the day.

All the more reasons to maximize the charge for the time you do work.

Car mechanics do it that way. There is a fixed time to replace a cretain part depending on the make/model of the car. The same way you should charge a sliding scale depending on the size of the drive to image it. Sure the set-up time is the same, but you tie up the imaging hardware longer, making it un-available for other jobs.