join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to takeahike

Re: Fuck Dell

$130 to copy data off, reformat, reload Wintendo, update all the drivers etc, patches, etc and all that frustration? That's a bargain if I've ever heard one!

No way would I do it for that little ... I'd have to charge at least 4x that just for my frustration factor!

Glad there are honest folks like you out there - no way could I deal with all that stress for $130.

People ask me all the time about working on their PC - my usual response is 'you can't afford me' and I usually mean it

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to takeahike

Re: F**k Dell

Just had an Inspiron the other day... wanted to pull the HD to Ghost a backup before reimaging. @(*#*&^&$%#$$#@!&)*(&%^$

No need to excuse your language... Dell, whom I like in the business world with their Latitudes have really told the consumer to go f themselves. This Laptop requires complete and total motherboard removal just to get at the mobo. That is just plain wrong.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by Veloslave:

This Laptop requires complete and total motherboard removal just to get at the mobo. That is just plain wrong.

why?
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to dennismurphy

Thanks! There are opinions on the other side.

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON
reply to takeahike

I have an older Inspiron, can't complain side slot HD mounted nd pull and change, have had to do it twice, 1st time due to failer (3 days before waranty expired!) and 2nd time wanted a bigger HD in it.

No fuss no muss.

and I charge about the same rates you do for HD replacement/rebuild since I don't try to make people believe I'm working for 4 hours on it (I might be clicking for 5 minutes) but the PC does the work itself.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

said by Veloslave:

This Laptop requires complete and total motherboard removal just to get at the mobo. That is just plain wrong.

why?

That is what the thread is wondering and complaining about
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by Veloslave:

said by AVD:

said by Veloslave:

why?

That is what the thread is wondering and complaining about

What computer does not need a motherboard removal to get to the mobo?
--

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to takeahike
Technology has become so disposable there is no concern for repairability. You have to adapt to change. I don't enjoy working on iDevices and Ultrabooks, but they are here to stay and will probably get increasingly difficult to repair.

The requirement to remove the motherboard to replace the hard drive on my wife's Dell 14R has discouraged me from replacing it with a SSD, even though I have one on hand for it. She only uses it once a week versus her smart phone.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

You've gone through two keyboards and four touchpads/mouse buttons in the last three years? That doesn't sound out of the ordinary to you?

Going back to the whole "Latitudes/Precisions are better" theme, I am on my E6410 for 8-12 hours a day, every day, and have been doing so since I got it back in early 2010. I have replaced absolutely nothing.

I thought the same thing. I used to have the Inspiron 1525 I got from Dell Outlet in 2009 but it developed a problem with charging. There is an issue with these, and I suspect it may be the DC port which I have no desire to mess with ATM. I decided to get a Latitude (as I did hear it was of better quality being they are for businesses) and got a D830 last spring. It is a bit on the heavier side, but she's doing fine, and it came with a bluetooth.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

said by ilikeme:

said by Max_War:

They are just following Apple's exterior case designs. Unlike Apple, at least you can open a PC laptop to do repairs.

I take it you have never actually opened a mac. Don't knock it until you actually have. I have, and they are quite easy to access everything (HDD, RAM, Disc Drive, ETC.) Easier than many PC laptops.

Replace the RAM in a Retina MBP, then come talk to me. Before those hit the market, I used to agree with you; if you actually still feel that way, you're a bit behind the times.

The pre 2012 MacBooks were pretty easy. The pre 2010 MacBooks you could do blindfolded. Though it's true the new ones are not easy, and in many cases, not possible.

My last Windows machine, the hard drive was located underneath the keyboard, although the keyboard was pretty easy to remove. (about 5 minutes worth of work)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Pretty much what I meant by "I used to agree with you".

For the record, I work in a mixed environment and have cracked open just about anything you can imagine at one point or another. I'm considering dropping a couple grand an a retina MPB and trying to upgrade the RAM just for kicks -- the hard part is convincing my wife...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
LOL..think you can change the ram in these new units? IIRC, only the SDD is serviceable, though I could be wrong.

Lots of discussion on whether Apple is making the right move by making it hard/impossible to make hardware changes.

Although Apple isn't the only company doing this, I believe some of the Dell's and Acers have laptops with no serviceable parts.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

Actually, while the SSD isn't soldered in like the RAM, it's a nonstandard form factor, so while you can replace it, you'll have trouble sourcing the part.

I wasn't joking when I said the hard part of getting my hands on an RMBP to try and upgrade the RAM in it would be convincing my wife; she's not too fond of me buying multi-thousand-dollar gadgets just to break them.

UPDATE: She just said if I buy one, it's hers; I told her that's fine as long as she lets me upgrade the RAM first. Looks like I'll be enjoying some laptop surgery this weekend and she'll be enjoying her really expensive paperweight.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
Considering the ram is soldered onto the logicboard on the retina macbook pro why would you consider upgrading it? How will you accomplish this?

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by rugby:

Considering the ram is soldered onto the logicboard on the retina macbook pro why would you consider upgrading it? How will you accomplish this?

Considering that I mention the soldered RAM at the beginning of my post and refer to the laptop as a paperweight at the end, what do you think? It's one of those "try it for the hell of it" things.

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

4 edits
reply to takeahike

So I'm sitting here in my shop on Saturday. Thinking about the business after having two people came in with systems that had problems at home but no problems upon their arrival here--no way to earn money. (By the way, I've already been accused of being in the wrong forum, but I'll continue anyway). Anyway, it seems that as time goes on there will be less and less serviceable parts to whatever in the future they decide to call a computer. So repairs will diminish and of course straight sales of systems is a non-starter (unless you want to give them away). Of course to the extent hard drives are a serviceable item that will virtually end when SSD becomes the standard since we all know that the failure rate on memory is way lower than on conventional hard drives. I suppose that there will always be software problems and viruses but otherwise the future doesn't look that promising.
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

So wait, you mean to tell me that you have to adapt in order to survive in the IT field? Say it aint so!

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

1 edit
Not really in IT corporate, per se, but consumer sales and service. If you read my comments carefully, you'd see I'm talking about the future of the my type of business, not my place in it. So, if you mean adapting to living without income, I suppose so.
--

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit
reply to takeahike
Just remember the automotive mechanic where they shove motor in places they barely fit and almost all function/controls are now computer/electronic based, they have it harder than us. One day all electronic will be filled with a thermal glue/epoxy that makes is impossible for repair. I am think 2014 or 2015 this will happen.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
Talking with my mechanic Saturday. Apprently, the new BMWs don't have a dipstick. Want to check your oil? plug it in the diagnostics computer.

Consumer computers are disposable items. They are designed to not be serviceable by your average consumer. Not being able to easily upgrade the HDD is a good thing for the repair business.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to takeahike
said by takeahike:

Not really in IT corporate, per se, but consumer sales and service. If you read my comments carefully, you'd see I'm talking about the future of the my type of business, not my place in it. So, if you mean adapting to living without income, I suppose so.

eventually, everything will be in a cloud. Then everything will be disposable.
--

Poorfellow

join:2008-03-16
New York, NY
reply to takeahike

Your MO is to convince "customers" that their documents are immobile, and therefore a repair is necessary to allow them to retain them? You actually tell them that?

takeahike
Premium
Woodland Hills, CA

4 edits
No, I never said that nor would it make any sense since if you can put them back on the hard drive you could put them anywhere else. I just include data recovery along with the fix of the OS and advise them that if they bought a new system it would cost them additional for someone--not necessarily me--to recover their data from the old one. Does every new topic have to include a "no trolling" warning?
--
Expand your moderator at work

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
reply to takeahike

My work is not in IT, but yeah, Dell Lattitude laptops are awesome. (I program PLC for HVAC systems, and work a lot on servers to archive important datas in SQL databases...)

I have a E5520 for work and I love it. It's not the fastest machine (who cares, I have a gaming computer at home) but I do take care of my stuff and I feel like it will last me for years. The quality seems better than any laptop I have seen at Best Buy.

We still have a lot of D520 in the field and they're used on construction site where it is dirty/dusty and the guys using them don't really take care of them... even in really poor conditions, they don't want to die.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com
Another fan of Dell D-series laptops.. My personal laptop, a Vostro 1400, died of the fatal Nvidia video disease, twice, mind you, once covered by the Dell/Nvida class action suit that slapped Nvidia for selling known defective product. The second time, rather than *try* to reflow the solder joints on the video chip or replace the motherboard, I decided to part the thing out on eBay, and replaced it with a Latitude D620 I had bought on eBay as-is/parts only and repaired.. This Latitude cost me, as I recall, about $50 as it was missing keyboard, HD, battery and LCD frame. After adding parts I have maybe a total of $200 into it and it is BULLET-PROOF... I had intended on putting Ubuntu on it and reselling it, but gotta have a personal laptop... I monitor eBay for low-priced as-is/parts-only "fixer-upper" Dell laptops and when I see a good deal, I pounce.. so far have repaired/refurbed about 5 and resold locally and Craigslist..

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to BK3

Maybe back in the day, but I've worked with enough Dell equipment to say that with confidence.

Case in point, a few years back I bought a PE 400SC, opened it up like the good little geek I am, it was a precision ws with a different bios!

Oedipus

The low end Poweredges are naturally going to be similar to the Precision desktops. There's really no way around that without either eliminating high end desktop offerings or their low end server offerings. Cheap asses who buy the low end PE hardware are not going to pay for a complete redesign just so it shares no similarities with a Precision.

Correctly claiming that a PE SC430 looks pretty similar to a Precision 390 is not the same thing as saying that an off the shelf Inspiron is the same thing as a Latitude.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
The design of the case may be different, but if you opened up an inspiron and a Latitude, id put money they are the same.

Do you really think they are going to design and maintain 5 lines of computers?

As for the low end PE's it was personal, good deal from an Ebay sale.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Oedipus

Yes, and a VW Jetta is the same thing as a VW Phaeton because they would never bother to build more than one platform.

*Edited for better example.