Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

Re: Judge grants music student stalking order against parents

It seems there's a lot of "proven" details undisclosed about the entire episode, so it's hard to say what really went down and why. Much of what's out there is he-said, she-said. What I do know is that if you can't simply have a civil, persuasive chat with your 21-year-old daughter about the topics claimed in the story, it's way too late to try either spanking or "stalking". At 21 (and perhaps at 18), the parents have zero legal authority. The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Blackbird:

The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.

+1
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by StuartMW:

said by Blackbird:

The whole thing's more than a little sad, actually.

+1

Yes it is. I can remember when my wife and I attended meetings for a support group. There was one mother there that every time a member of her family was asked a question she would immediately answer for them. So I can fully understand why the judge ruled as he or she did. But I would tend to say there are more than likely things that have happened in the past and full story is not be presented.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

It seems there's a lot of "proven" details undisclosed about the entire episode, so it's hard to say what really went down and why. Much of what's out there is he-said, she-said.

Yep. The closest thing I could find was this from KCTV.

Some of the quotes:
quote:
Neighbors described a tight-knit family and proud parents who worked hard to give their only child anything she wanted, but said they could be too overprotective.
---
"My mom has always been very overly involved," Aubrey Ireland told ABC News. "I would have to get on Skype all the time to show them that I was in my dorm room or there were nights I had to leave my Skype on all night and my mom would watch me basically sleep."

Her attorney told media outlets Friday that his client did the ABC interview without his knowledge and declined to make her available for additional interviews.

"They basically thought that they were paying for my college tuition and living expenses that they could tell me what to do, who to hang out with," Aubrey Ireland said. "Basically control all of my daily life."
Funny, but my dad pretty much felt the same way. He just didn't spend that kind of money on me; I was expected to work. (It didn't hurt me.) Poor Aubrey sounds like a typical teen there, not an adult.

So really, this story could go either way. The parents could be nuts, Aubrey could be a manipulator out for fame (which she got), or a little of both. The judge did the only feasible thing, really.

Just don't be calling home for more money, Aubrey.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

said by goalieskates:

Just don't be calling home for more money, Aubrey.

Or asking mom to do your laundry
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!